Motherboard Thin ITX Discussion Thread

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
A GT 1030 should consume around 35W under Furmark.

It's not 25W but @GuilleAcoustic was able to run it successfully from a 4X slot (using the same Asus Q87 MB).

In my case, I use my custom riser with 12V tracks cut : the Polulu board provides all the power needed, nothing comes from the MB slot.
Also, my motherboard has a 16X slot :)

Exactly, been running GT1030 on my Asus Q87T for quite a long time without issue. I was using a 35W i7-4785T and some 90W Dell brick 19.5V or so, but their's a tolerance on the DC voltage you provide (10% if I remember correctly).

I asked Asus directly and they replied I should be fine since I wasn't running the max TDP allowed on the CPU side.

Thank you both, that makes for interesting reading and potential to use my Q87T.
It has an i3 4130 in at the moment, so that may be fine compared to an i5 for example.

My newest build which is in dire need of documentation is v0.9 at the moment and seems to work fine in its crammed in just for testing phase.

I bought a used H81N / i3 4130 / 8GB bundle on ebay, and intend to put an i5 in as soon as it's all properly tested. The 4130 can go in my underpowered H81T that has no PCIe slot at all.

The v0.9 build is also running a modded GTX 1050Ti from @Goatee which has a passive heat sink on it as standard. Adding an 80mm Noctua Redux seems to be keeping it reasonably cool.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@Arboreal : you got a picture of the passive 1050 Ti ?

@REVOCCASES : the back side of the PCB, the hottest according to Polulu, maxed out at 34°C (ambiant at 24°C) while benching.

Goatee

King of Cable Management
Jun 22, 2018
@Arboreal : you got a picture of the passive 1050 Ti ?

It had a home made cooler made of a 100mm square aluminium heat sink, 10mm thick. Add a couple of holes and a few threads tapped and bobs your mothers brother!

3/10 on the DIY Mod difficultly scale

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I didn't even have to do a thing.... ? Thanks @Goatee!

It now has an 80mm Redux fan press fitted onto the heatsink. If I get temperature problems, I may buy the 100x150mm by 25mm deep heatsink that I've save on my ebay list, but I think the 40mm fan noise is the biggest snag in the system not GPU heat.

**EDIT** Found the picture I was looking for, 1050 running on B250M test bench

1598458226566.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Goatee

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Thought this might fit here... my watercooled thin itx project:

• Haha
Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
@REVOCCASES Great to see some unashamed overkill at work! I'm not a WC person, but that is a great and mad idea to add to your portfolio of innovative designs and SFF products.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
@REVOCCASES Great to see some unashamed overkill at work! I'm not a WC person, but that is a great and mad idea to add to your portfolio of innovative designs and SFF products.

Thank you.

I'm also more into air cooling but after ordering 20 different air coolers and no one really did the trick I thought I'd try something different. Yet another niche (potential) product. ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21420

Hey, im pretty new to small form factor stuff and especially thin mini itx, i see that the motherboards arent very popular and i know this isnt a question you can answer 100% but, what are the chaces of there being a thin mini itx motherboard that supports the new ryzen 4000 series like the 4700g soon after its launch on desktop? i want to build a workstation and if one doesnt come out i guess ill have to use a 3400g.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hey, im pretty new to small form factor stuff and especially thin mini itx, i see that the motherboards arent very popular and i know this isnt a question you can answer 100% but, what are the chaces of there being a thin mini itx motherboard that supports the new ryzen 4000 series like the 4700g soon after its launch on desktop? i want to build a workstation and if one doesnt come out i guess ill have to use a 3400g.

Pretty sure AsRock, Onda and ViewNote will come up with something. But I would expect (global) availability more later than sooner.

I'll keep eyes open, since I started to design another Thin ITX Case... ?

D

Deleted member 21420

Pretty sure AsRock, Onda and ViewNote will come up with something. But I would expect (global) availability more later than sooner.

I'll keep eyes open, since I started to design another Thin ITX Case... ?
Thanks for the reply man, I got most of the parts in mind if I do build one but since youhave experience with this what would you recommend for a cooler and external power supply? And the case I'm thinking about building in is only 45mm in height so it wouldnt need to be quiet a low profile cooler.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Thanks for the reply man, I got most of the parts in mind if I do build one but since youhave experience with this what would you recommend for a cooler and external power supply? And the case I'm thinking about building in is only 45mm in height so it wouldnt need to be quiet a low profile cooler.

I have tested about 20 different coolers for my case which will have a similar height and ended up to mod some pretty affordable and very low profile aluminum coolers with copper core. I run a 3400G almost silent under stress testing at 76C. I'm going to put these to my shop later if someone should be interested. Else, I think the IS30 is also a good choice if your case supports it.

Concerning PSU I can't help much. I'm going to use an 19V, 130w internal one. just go for some common 120W brick and you'll have some headroom.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
A little bit less niche but still:

Either brickless or up to 4 SSDs... not sure if thin itx boards with more than one sata header / sata power even exist. ? but I think there are M2 to sata converters.

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
A little bit less niche but still:

Either brickless or up to 4 SSDs... not sure if thin itx boards with more than one sata header / sata power even exist. ? but I think there are M2 to sata converters.

Epic! Nice brickless solution. Love it

My Q87T has 4 SATA ports...
?

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Epic! Nice brickless solution. Love it

My Q87T has 4 SATA ports...
?

Thank you.

I read your MoBo has 4 sata ports but only one sata power header. Do you think that header can power four sata SSDs? And are there any power cables for this setup?

If that works it would make a fine NAS server with my case. :)

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thank you.

I read your MoBo has 4 sata ports but only one sata power header. Do you think that header can power four sata SSDs? And are there any power cables for this setup?

If that works it would make a fine NAS server with my case. :)

You're welcome, there was a Q87T frenzy a few months ago, as they was a batch of bargain BNIB ones on UK ebay which the Bit Tech SFF boys joined in on.

I have just looked at the Q87T SATA power cable, and it's very odd...

There are 5 SATA connectors on the included SATA power cable PLUS what looks like a SATA data connector with red and black wires attached.

I can take it out of the bag and photograph it if you like.

**EDIT** Here's a link to a sold one on ebay with photos

I would have thought that 4x 2.5 HDDs would be fine; 4x 3.5 probably not on start up. Without motors, I would say you'd be 100% fine with 4 SSDs on that setup.

The board has an mSATA slot, so you can boot from that and still have 4 storage drives.

One of the guys on B T is selling his lightly used Q87T for under 30 GBP...

Having not done so, I am still tempted by a using brickless 19V power solution so that I can use the internal power header that has been unused on at least 4 of the thin ITX boards I have owned. (DH61AG / H81T / Q87T / H110T ).

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
You're welcome, there was a Q87T frenzy a few months ago, as they was a batch of bargain BNIB ones on UK ebay which the Bit Tech SFF boys joined in on.

I have just looked at the Q87T SATA power cable, and it's very odd...

There are 5 SATA connectors on the included SATA power cable PLUS what looks like a SATA data connector with red and black wires attached.

I can take it out of the bag and photograph it if you like.

**EDIT** Here's a link to a sold one on ebay with photos

I would have thought that 4x 2.5 HDDs would be fine; 4x 3.5 probably not on start up. Without motors, I would say you'd be 100% fine with 4 SSDs on that setup.

The board has an mSATA slot, so you can boot from that and still have 4 storage drives.

One of the guys on B T is selling his lightly used Q87T for under 30 GBP...

Having not done so, I am still tempted by a using brickless 19V power solution so that I can use the internal power header that has been unused on at least 4 of the thin ITX boards I have owned. (DH61AG / H81T / Q87T / H110T ).

thank you. that sounds great and should absolutely work for 4 SATA SSDs. Guess I'll grab one of those boards and build a new NAS for the company...

I have one prototype left, which is not perfect but fine to build in. If you like to check it out I can send it to you for a discount price. It comes with internal 19V PSU and cooler. Just let me know (PM).

Reactions: Arboreal