Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow 130mm Tower Cooler

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
1. The supplied fan mounting clips/brackets are 'non standard/universal', meaning you cannot (without modification) use the clips to mount other 120mm fan. (But I suppose one can improvise with zip ties?).
2. looks like heatpipes are not soldered onto the fins. (this might be a cut-cost decision).
However, both 1 and 2 are going to be adjusted in a future version.

I have no actual experience but just scan through posts in Chiphell to gather the above info.

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Oct 29, 2017
Could you say more about the disadvantages? I'm not sure what you mean. And I'm curious what you heard about the improved versions -- maybe that's part of the world wide delay as well.

But it seems to do about 10C better than the D9L which would be the similar to the U9S, and not far off the Kracken x52 if I'm guessing right.

Pretty impressive. I might still go for it once it goes full release and fixes any early issues. Pair it with the new noctua fan, and it would be pretty killer.

There seemed to be some talk about the M1 in that thread, but google translate kind of mangles it. Of course, we saw the prototype in the M1, so if they didn't change it too much, it will be fine.

I'm still worried it would conflict with the raised M.2 slot on the Asus AM4 boards, so we'll have to see the height of that first fin.

Meaning: The iron wire clips used to install fans are not currently available for installing other fans, such as noctua 120mm fans.You need to make your own iron wire clips.

Not Reflow soldering:if not this process. The heat conduction is not the best, so it's just a little bit stronger than D9L (maybe 15%+, I guess), not a lot stronger.

This information comes from the Chiphell Forum. I think it should be able to control the TDP of 7980xe or 9980xe in ncase m1, but I'm not sure if it can allow OC.

In fact, I don't know whether ThermalRight is a Chinese brand or an international brand, but it seems that their factory is in China, and their technicians often seem to browse Chiphell forum, so I can get some more internal information in this forum, such as the improved version of this air-cooler.

But I can't guarantee that this message is 100% accurate.

Even if the message is true, it's impossible to know the exact time.
(perhaps the new version of 130 Silver Arrow will wait six months or One year later or more).

At present, there is no temperature test for 7980xe or 9980xe in ncase M1.

These need someone or team to try and share the test results.
(It's best to have a YouTube video)

There are still too few tests for 130 Silver Arrow.

If 7980xe and 9980xe have no problems, next year's zen2 16C should have no problems.

Last edited:

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Oct 29, 2017
1. The supplied fan mounting clips/brackets are 'non standard/universal', meaning you cannot (without modification) use the clips to mount other 120mm fan. (But I suppose one can improvise with zip ties?).
2. looks like heatpipes are not soldered onto the fins. (this might be a cut-cost decision).
However, both 1 and 2 are going to be adjusted in a future version.

I have no actual experience but just scan through posts in Chiphell to gather the above info.
‘But I suppose one can improvise with zip ties?’

I don't know. You can try...

Last edited:

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
Thermalright is Taiwanese. They definitely have the chops -- when they released the Ultra Extreme 120 in 2007 it absolutely destroyed every other air cooler in performance (it's on my outgoing rig). I'm not sure how there current offering stack up, since you rarely hear about them anymore.

And not soldering the heatpipes to the fins seems like a really odd design choice -- why hamper it so much?

When I talked with the support guy, he had no estimate for the world wide release. He said it was from heat pipe availability because they were using a new design. Maybe they wanted to do a little market testing and give some more time for manufacturing.

With these two current issues, I don't think I'd be so interested. If they fixed those, it would be great. I do wonder for the fan clip if you could just swap out for some other brand fan clip and still work or how specific they are this design.

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Oct 29, 2017
Thermalright is Taiwanese. They definitely have the chops -- when they released the Ultra Extreme 120 in 2007 it absolutely destroyed every other air cooler in performance (it's on my outgoing rig). I'm not sure how there current offering stack up, since you rarely hear about them anymore.

And not soldering the heatpipes to the fins seems like a really odd design choice -- why hamper it so much?

When I talked with the support guy, he had no estimate for the world wide release. He said it was from heat pipe availability because they were using a new design. Maybe they wanted to do a little market testing and give some more time for manufacturing.

With these two current issues, I don't think I'd be so interested. If they fixed those, it would be great. I do wonder for the fan clip if you could just swap out for some other brand fan clip and still work or how specific they are this design.
Because of the time (from project to design to production, it is said that the time is very short, they can not make more improvements to the product) and cost, so the product is designed like this. About cost savings: I think they really underestimated the needs of users.

In addition, through the replacement of fans, such as Noctua NF-A12X25 or NF-F12 industrial PPC 3000, the performance should be improved by at least 5~10%. Therefore, it is a qualified product, but it can not meet the expectations of users.

But I'm very curious.

Why hasn't Noctua research and development 130-140 mm air-coolers? (In fact, the Silver Arrow 130 is the only known 130-140 mm air-cooler.)

Noctua's plan for 2019 is to improve their fans products.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
Yeah, I'm surprised Noctua hasn't made something like the SA130 themselves. The U9S is already 125 mm, and designed to fit in the CPU keep out zone. Which is good. But they could easily make a shorty tower that is still small case friendly and improve on the D9L -- which would really just be it's successor. They already have the fan tech to bundle with it, and probably the best mounting hardware.

Reactions: roozter

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Yes, Thermalright used to dominate the air cooler market, especially the high end segment. When air coolers were switching from down-blowing to tower type, TRUE was the king. Who could forget TRUE True Copper?
I think, with the rise of AIOs, air coolers are being hit hard. Higher end air coolers are being hit the hardest and basically only Noctua and Thermalright are in this segment. Maybe, as the demand for higher end air coolers is diminishing, both Noctua and Thermalright are putting less effort to develop new products.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
@MTMeow has been providing us some leaks with this potential new tower. It seems like a good contender to unseat the Noctua U9S/D9L as the top tower coolers for the NCase M1. I just thought I would condense the info and give it a focused thread rather than being in the Dan-A4's heatsink thread.

What he's told us so far:
  • 130 mm in height with a 120mm fan at 1500 or 1800 RPM
  • performance similar to the Macho 120 (which has a TDP of 200 W)
  • planned release of September

Compared to the Noctua 92mm offerings, it definitely seems bigger (which might create space issues since it will leave part of the CPU zone on the sides) and adds an additional heatpipe compared to teh U9S and 2 compared to the D9L. Noctua doesn't list it's TDPs on the website, just a TDP guide, but it seems based on that guide that this cooler should have a higher TDP design. With 120mm fan support (assuming 25mm depth) it allows for the new Noctua NF-A12x25 to be used as well for potentially added benefit.

Hopefully it will actually come out in September, as I'm still waiting for the new Corsair PSUs to start my build.

What are those cable management devices on the back of the PSU in these pictures? Those look excellent.

Reactions: xSDMx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
This is the cooler to get for my next ITX build (hopefully in a Streacom DA2).
The graphene version, in its pure blackness, looks awesome. I prefer it over the standard one. Price difference should be about US$10. Thermal benefit should not be big but aesthetic is very good.
And, I note from users' pics that it fits into an Asus Z390i without problem despite the huge IO heatsink.

Last edited:

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
Fan mounting clips has been updated to compatible styles

How do you know this? (or is in the Chinese text? )

The graphene version, in its pure blackness, looks awesome. I prefer it over the standard one. Price difference should be about US$10. Thermal benefit should not be big but aesthetic is very good.
And, I note from users' pics that it fits into an Asus Z390i without problem despite the huge IO heatsink.

I hadn't seen that they had updated with the graphene version. I does look nice -- probably less fingerprint issues as well. I kind of like the nickel plated version.

Of course, what we really need is for them to solder the fins to the pipes. Hopefully they will do that for the international version -- that will make it perform even better.

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Oct 29, 2017
How do you know this? (or is in the Chinese text? )

I hadn't seen that they had updated with the graphene version. I does look nice -- probably less fingerprint issues as well. I kind of like the nickel plated version.

Of course, what we really need is for them to solder the fins to the pipes. Hopefully they will do that for the international version -- that will make it perform even better.
Taobao buyers confirm, but I can not confirm the situation abroad.

(Fan clip) Individually purchased links here
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?s...=02e9042e4c81bd92876bd196645c7ecc&abbucket=10

Last edited:
Reactions: TeutonJon78

jack1940

Average Stuffer
Oct 29, 2017
I also think that DA2 and 130 are the best combination because of the motherboard.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Anyone got a link to where you can buy this cooler?
Does SuperBuy/Tao-Bao have these at the moment?