Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow 130mm Tower Cooler

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Jun 7, 2018
Well, it finally got posted the US Thermalright site, along with a few other new Silver Arrow variants and a Macho Rev. C. Plus another new thermal paste.

http://thermalright.com/product/silver-arrow-130/

I'm still curious how it will fit the Asus AM4 board since it has the sound card on a daughter card with the m.2 slot on it and then the heatsink.

Regarding it seeming to fit ram better or not, it seems that you have two potential orientations for it -- as the from the technical drawing, one side is 28 mm from the base of the cold plate and one is 34 mm. I'm not sure if the mounting hardware demands one orientation or not, but 6 mm could be the difference between hitting the RAM or not.

Last edited:

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Well, it finally got posted the US Thermalright site, along with a few other new Silver Arrow variants and a Macho Rev. C. Plus another new thermal paste.

http://thermalright.com/product/silver-arrow-130/

I'm still curious how it will fit the Asus AM4 board since it has the sound card on a daughter card with the m.2 slot on it and then the heatsink.

Regarding it seeming to fit ram better or not, it seems that you have two potential orientations for it -- as the from the technical drawing, one side is 28 mm from the base of the cold plate and one is 34 mm. I'm not sure if the mounting hardware demands one orientation or not, but 6 mm could be the difference between hitting the RAM or not.
Should be fine, I'm using mine with an ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX which also has a very tall M.2 heatsink and it's not an issue, although it's really hard to say with AM4 due to potential differences in die surface height.

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2019
Should be fine, I'm using mine with an ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX which also has a very tall M.2 heatsink and it's not an issue, although it's really hard to say with AM4 due to potential differences in die surface height.
did you had any issues while mounting? (blending RAM) and do you have any comparison with the noctua cooler?

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
did you had any issues while mounting? (blending RAM) and do you have any comparison with the noctua cooler?
It's VERY close to the RAM, I think it does slightly rest against the RAM itself, but other directions are all completely fine.

I don't have any comparisons to my L9i, no sorry.

Reactions: jtmsrl

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
@Tazpr , hey man, have you tested it? I am interested to see its temps compared to the U9s one!
I can almost guarantee it will be better than a U9s but I have yet sorry, did you have a specific year you'd like me to run for comparison?

pollymath

Efficiency Noob
Jun 13, 2017
Bump - anyone else trying this cooler? Looking to do a quiet AM4 Cerberus build with no side vents.

I wish Noctua would do a similar low height 120mm side-flow cooler.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Bump - anyone else trying this cooler? Looking to do a quiet AM4 Cerberus build with no side vents.

I wish Noctua would do a similar low height 120mm side-flow cooler.
For Cerberus you have Sycthe fuma B, but I'm not sure it's compatible with windowed panel.
After you can go for Noctua U9S or D9L, that deliver similar cooling performance as thermalright 130 arrow

pollymath

Efficiency Noob
Jun 13, 2017
I wanted to stick with a 120mm fans or larger. Just quieter.

The Scythe Fuma is also 149mm tall, which won't fit with the hinge bracket intalled.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I wanted to stick with a 120mm fans or larger. Just quieter.

The Scythe Fuma is also 149mm tall, which won't fit with the hinge bracket intalled.
Yes correct for hinge bracket you have only 145mm clearance for cpu cooler.
After you still have h7 quad lumi, 145mm 120mm tower.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Honestly I'm pretty dissatisfied with mine so if anyone in Australia wants one, pm me.

The mounting system is weird, the fan compatibility is non existent due to the crap wire mounts which only support the non-standard included ORANGE 120mm fan, the black coating is just black spray paint that scrapes off with the slightest breeze. It may cool well, but not enough to make it worth it...

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Honestly I'm pretty dissatisfied with mine ....

The mounting system is weird....
How so? Dissatisfied thermally? Not up to your expectation? How does it compare with U9S thermally?
How is the mounting system weird?
BTW, I forgot your system. Spec please, including the case and airflow setup.
This might be my next buy and so I am quite curious.

BTW, a guy in Chiphell just did a comparison yesterday between the old version's Graphene edition vs the new version's Plus edition. His CPU is 1700 oc 3.9 and is inside a Streacom DA2. In short, improvement is about 4-5C under load.
Details here:-

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
How so? Dissatisfied thermally? Not up to your expectation? How does it compare with U9S thermally?

BTW, a guy in Chiphell just did a comparison yesterday between the old version's Graphene edition vs the new version's Plus edition. His CPU is 1700 oc 3.9 and is inside a Streacom DA2. In short, improvement is about 4-5C under load.
Dissatisfied for the reasons above.
Mounting it, it uses a cross piece to hold it down, but nothing to hold that in place so it can slide around and is a pain.
The fan mounting is annoying because I didn't want to use the included fan but the clips only work with that fans non standard hole spacing.
The coating is cheap and just looks like black spray paint.
Thermally it was fine, I didn't take any readings and I don't have a U9S so I can't really provide any comparison, can't remember what case I had at the time - might have been a fractal nano then.

It may have a slight edge in temperatures but the niggles I have with it don't make it worth it.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Ah...that is the 'standard' TR mounting system. While I agree it is less user friendly as Noctua's, it is still not bad at all. My last TR heatsink is an Archon IB-E x2 which uses similar mounting mechanism. The cross bar is to be screwed down onto the brackets with 2 screws. Not bad, IMHO.

The fan clips is not universal. I knew this. This has been mentioned/criticized by many when it first came out. I hope, maybe the new version has revised this aspect.

The graphene edition is more for aesthetics than for its thermal benefit. At most, I suspect it is 1-2C degrees improvement due to the coating.
But, I think, this heatsink is still the best, thermally speaking, air cooler for 130mm height category. Currently, I am eyeing a SFF case that can accommodate the NH-U12A. If this works out, I would not have to get this Silver Arrow 130 but the NH-U12A (which is a winner, of course).

Demon Boy Jr

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2017

All I had was google translate to work with, but it looks like they fixed the soldering issue? It looks like he got a 5c lower temps going from the Old Graphene version to the New Regular version, so it has to be the solder right? I'm curious how this stands to the C14/C14s which supposedly already outperform the U9s in the Ncase.

Last edited: