Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

iRebel

Chassis Packer
Jun 10, 2019
Ghost S1 tweaks inspired by the new Mac Pro ?

iRebel

Chassis Packer
Jun 10, 2019
How did you do it ??

If someone comes across a more elegant way of achieving the desired effect please let me know.

iRebel

Chassis Packer
Jun 10, 2019
Ghost S1 tweaks inspired by the new Mac Pro ?

This is how I made the Ghost S1 looks like a mini Mac Pro...
If someone comes across a more elegant way of achieving the desired effect please let me know.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Jan 19, 2019
Has anyone done a Ghost S1 build with a medium tophat above, and a large tophat below the main chassis, where there is an air intake and filters below, with an exhaust up top?

Is it possible to put air filters in the medium top hats, or would I have to go with a large one?

andornaut

Chassis Packer
Feb 24, 2017
I'm thinking of mounting 2x 3.5" HDDs in a bottom-mounted medium tophat (with custom sata power and data cables - looks like a tight fit) and 2x 120mm Noctua fans in a top-mounted tophat.

I haven't seen or read of anyone doing the same, so I just wanted to ask if this would work or if anyone can think of potential issues?

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Jan 19, 2019
I'm thinking of mounting 2x 3.5" HDDs in a bottom-mounted medium tophat (with custom sata power and data cables - looks like a tight fit) and 2x 120mm Noctua fans in a top-mounted tophat.

I haven't seen or read of anyone doing the same, so I just wanted to ask if this would work or if anyone can think of potential issues?

I know Jayz2Cents did a Ghost S1 build with a large tophat above and below to fully water-cool the thing. Not as sure about how the space requirements will be with the medium tophat, and HDDs.

andornaut

Chassis Packer
Feb 24, 2017
I know Jayz2Cents did a Ghost S1 build with a large tophat above and below to fully water-cool the thing. Not as sure about how the space requirements will be with the medium tophat, and HDDs.

Thanks, I checked out a few of his Ghost S1 vids. I'm optimistic that the drives can fit (in a medium tophat, even), so I guess I'm most concerned about temps. Also, I did see a post on Imgur which suggested that the drives could fit in a top mounted tophat, but not a bottom mounted one - not sure what could explain that?

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
After trying unsuccessfully to bend the NH-L12S to get it to fit on my ASRock Fatality AB350 ITX/ac motherboard in my Ghost S1, I finally went through the painful process of moving my NH-L12 from another system (i5-8600K in a CCD MI-6 case) to my AB350 with a Ryzen 7 1800X in my Ghost S1. The i5-8600K is now sporting a Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B and getting similar temperatures to the NH-L12.

In my 1800X system with the NH-L12, my CPU is hitting a full load temperature of 75C and throttling the frequency somewhat (it's bouncing between ~3.55 and ~3.66 GHz). I previously had the 1800X in an NCASE M1 with a NH-D9L, and it usually stayed pretty close to it's all-core turbo of 3.7 GHz when fully loaded. The throttling is resulting in about 3% lower performance when rendering video than it did with the NH-D9L (where the temperature stayed around 69C).

Is anyone else out there using a NH-L12 with a Ryzen 7 1800X? If so, are you getting similar temperatures?

Flowism

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 14, 2019
Hi,

A year and a half ago I built a new PC, I was eyeing the Ghost S1 but it wasn't available (and now sadly still seems hard to get).
I recently got rid of it for many reasons; I wanted something smaller (than my h400i), I don't like RGB's and all that jazz, I don't like water-cooling AIO and I use macOS most of the times and don't actually game all that much.

Now knowing what I need, I would like to rebuild a computer inside the Ghost S1, however I could really use some help.

-I would like to go Ryzen 3700X Air Cooled. I will make some research to make sure it is compatible with macOS but I think my motherboard of choice for now would be the ROG Strix x570-I Gaming. Is there anything I should be concerned about when choosing the CPU Cooler with this motherboard? I am leaning toward the Big Shuriken 3 (with the screw mod).

-Can I have 2 NVMe SSD, one with macOS and one with Windows? Or can you only install them in Raid?

-How do you deal with dust? When I look at the amount of dust that I used to get on the filters of my old PC, I am really worried about the Ghost S1 with all these holes and no dust filters.

-I will probably go with the SF600 (I fear 450 might not be enough if there is ever a high end AMD GPU). Do you have any recommendations for shorter modular cables? I feel most cables are way too long and would just be crammed inside an already tight case.

-Best 2-slot 5700 XT?

-Would this build benefit from a small top hat with 2 120mm fans? I find the case so beautiful without any hat, but the only one I can tolerate is the small one.
What would be the best option for quiet fans? (I don't mind something slightly less efficient if I can avoid those brown Noctuas).

Thanks a lot for any help !

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jul 7, 2017
Hi,

A year and a half ago I built a new PC, I was eyeing the Ghost S1 but it wasn't available (and now sadly still seems hard to get).
I recently got rid of it for many reasons; I wanted something smaller (than my h400i), I don't like RGB's and all that jazz, I don't like water-cooling AIO and I use macOS most of the times and don't actually game all that much.

Now knowing what I need, I would like to rebuild a computer inside the Ghost S1, however I could really use some help.

-I would like to go Ryzen 3700X Air Cooled. I will make some research to make sure it is compatible with macOS but I think my motherboard of choice for now would be the ROG Strix x570-I Gaming. Is there anything I should be concerned about when choosing the CPU Cooler with this motherboard? I am leaning toward the Big Shuriken 3 (with the screw mod).

-Can I have 2 NVMe SSD, one with macOS and one with Windows? Or can you only install them in Raid?

-How do you deal with dust? When I look at the amount of dust that I used to get on the filters of my old PC, I am really worried about the Ghost S1 with all these holes and no dust filters.

-I will probably go with the SF600 (I fear 450 might not be enough if there is ever a high end AMD GPU). Do you have any recommendations for shorter modular cables? I feel most cables are way too long and would just be crammed inside an already tight case.

-Best 2-slot 5700 XT?

-Would this build benefit from a small top hat with 2 120mm fans? I find the case so beautiful without any hat, but the only one I can tolerate is the small one.
What would be the best option for quiet fans? (I don't mind something slightly less efficient if I can avoid those brown Noctuas).

Thanks a lot for any help !

1 - If you don't want to bend a Noctua NH-L12S than the Big Shuriken 3 with the screw mod is probably best.
2 - I would think 2 x M.2 would be best for dual boot, unless you need insanely fast transfer speeds I don't see any reason for raid.
3 - I honestly have not had much issue with dust, I would avoid dust filters on cases this small as they are usually quite restrictive on airflow.
4 - I have a set of custom cables for my ghost from pslatecustoms, I think they are worth every penny. Look great and make cable management much easier. He should be opening orders again soon.
5 - One of the biggest problems with the 5700 XT is the width of the custom cooled ones, most will not fit in the Ghost. The Asrock Challenger and PowerColor AXRX will fit for sure, you have to make sure they are 45mm or less. The reference cards will all fit.
6 - A medium tophat with 2 fans as exhaust helps a lot with cooling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flowism

Flowism

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 14, 2019
1 - If you don't want to bend a Noctua NH-L12S than the Big Shuriken 3 with the screw mod is probably best.
2 - I would think 2 x M.2 would be best for dual boot, unless you need insanely fast transfer speeds I don't see any reason for raid.
3 - I honestly have not had much issue with dust, I would avoid dust filters on cases this small as they are usually quite restrictive on airflow.
4 - I have a set of custom cables for my ghost from pslatecustoms, I think they are worth every penny. Look great and make cable management much easier. He should be opening orders again soon.
5 - One of the biggest problems with the 5700 XT is the width of the custom cooled ones, most will not fit in the Ghost. The Asrock Challenger and PowerColor AXRX will fit for sure, you have to make sure they are 45mm or less. The reference cards will all fit.
6 - A medium tophat with 2 fans as exhaust helps a lot with cooling.

Thanks for the answers !

1- I am mostly worried if the CPU cooler might not fit on certain motherboards? Same for RAM.
4- Seems great, but he doesn't take orders at the moment and is USA based. If anybody has an EU alternative it would be great.
6- Is there a big difference in temps with 25mm tall fans vs 15mm ? The 15mm should fit inside the small hat right?

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018

This is basically one of the most compromise with going small form factor. You cant really put filters on most true SFF case. You really have to regularly clean it from dust in order to make it easier for you to clean it. The good thing about it is, that most part are easily reachable. (or not in some case)

For custom cable, pslate gets a lot of recommendation but unfortunately, he has a limit. If you like custom PSU, chances are you should get the Corsair SF series since it is the most supported case for custom cable (in SFFpc). Choice are from Etsy (from dreambigbyRay) and Aliexpress (winfmod).

k0n

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2019

This is basically one of the most compromise with going small form factor. You cant really put filters on most true SFF case. You really have to regularly clean it from dust in order to make it easier for you to clean it. The good thing about it is, that most part are easily reachable. (or not in some case)

Don't cover all holes. Just put filters directly on all the fans which are sucking air into the case.

This was the graphics card filter on the SG07...(DHE was recommended).

Flowism

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 14, 2019
Alright hopefully the dust will be manageable.

Does anybody have the approximate PSU cable length that is needed for the Ghost S1?

I think I only need motherboard and GPU? I can't think of something else that need to be connected to the PSU, I will run 2 m.2 NVMe drives and 2 to 3 fans.