Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Hi! Can anybody point me to a shop in sweeden that can ship to other country in Europe (spain)? I see some have stock, but I understand nothing of whats written in there :-)

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
In Octobe? I thought it was going to be later, next year. I'll wait then.
Happy to see one spaniard round here :)

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I have an ID cooling is60 which is 55mm height including the 15mm thick fan, so with a normal 25mm fan is still in line with what a ghost can handle.
I cannot compare this heat sink with the noctua one because I don't have it, but I find the ID cooling a bit better than the black ridge using the same fan on both of them. These ryzen 3000 are a bit hard to cool down...

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
1 - If you don't want to bend a Noctua NH-L12S than the Big Shuriken 3 with the screw mod is probably best.
2 - I would think 2 x M.2 would be best for dual boot, unless you need insanely fast transfer speeds I don't see any reason for raid.
3 - I honestly have not had much issue with dust, I would avoid dust filters on cases this small as they are usually quite restrictive on airflow.
4 - I have a set of custom cables for my ghost from pslatecustoms, I think they are worth every penny. Look great and make cable management much easier. He should be opening orders again soon.
5 - One of the biggest problems with the 5700 XT is the width of the custom cooled ones, most will not fit in the Ghost. The Asrock Challenger and PowerColor AXRX will fit for sure, you have to make sure they are 45mm or less. The reference cards will all fit.
6 - A medium tophat with 2 fans as exhaust helps a lot with cooling.
Hi,

A year and a half ago I built a new PC, I was eyeing the Ghost S1 but it wasn't available (and now sadly still seems hard to get).
I recently got rid of it for many reasons; I wanted something smaller (than my h400i), I don't like RGB's and all that jazz, I don't like water-cooling AIO and I use macOS most of the times and don't actually game all that much.

Now knowing what I need, I would like to rebuild a computer inside the Ghost S1, however I could really use some help.

-I would like to go Ryzen 3700X Air Cooled. I will make some research to make sure it is compatible with macOS but I think my motherboard of choice for now would be the ROG Strix x570-I Gaming. Is there anything I should be concerned about when choosing the CPU Cooler with this motherboard? I am leaning toward the Big Shuriken 3 (with the screw mod).

-Can I have 2 NVMe SSD, one with macOS and one with Windows? Or can you only install them in Raid?

-How do you deal with dust? When I look at the amount of dust that I used to get on the filters of my old PC, I am really worried about the Ghost S1 with all these holes and no dust filters.

-I will probably go with the SF600 (I fear 450 might not be enough if there is ever a high end AMD GPU). Do you have any recommendations for shorter modular cables? I feel most cables are way too long and would just be crammed inside an already tight case.

-Best 2-slot 5700 XT?

-Would this build benefit from a small top hat with 2 120mm fans? I find the case so beautiful without any hat, but the only one I can tolerate is the small one.
What would be the best option for quiet fans? (I don't mind something slightly less efficient if I can avoid those brown Noctuas).

Thanks a lot for any help !
hello i tested the BS3 and it doesnt fit with any motherboard on the gigabyte x570 I for instance the socket is to close to the back I/O cower so you can not slide down the side pannel dont know about the asus strix i just got it
will need to test first but as for thermals the black ridge with noctua 12x15 and 9x14 combo is far supperior even though it cant keep the 3900x in check at stock (because there is no stock it keeps overclocking till it hits a wall).
The over ridiculouse 1.4 volt is too mutch i currently run mine 3900x on 1.25V 4.2 solid all cores that seems to be comfortable with a custom water loop ( i dont know how well the water cooling contributes because i tested it only against the alphacool LT 240 and that was crap
The case is in no means ideal for water cooling the top radiator is cowered by most part with hot exhaust air form VGA and PSU thats why all AIO dont perform mutch bether than the L12 or L12s witch in my opinninon is not a great cooler.
the psu i can highly advice the corsair 750 its tiny freakyngly silent and most of the time it runs passive :)

Last edited:

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I have the black ridge with both noctuas 92mm and 120 x 15mm and forget about cooling a 3900 at 1.25 or similar.
I have a 3700x at 4200 and 1.28v and it gets to 96 degrees within seconds at prime 95 small fft. It gets to 86 degrees on a single cinebench r20 run. That with the case opnened. I guess the 3900 is going to be even more diffcult to cool down

On stock it cools the cpu well because it goes down to 3900 mhz or so and 1.05v when using all cores.

It´s more or less the same story with big shuriken 2 (old one, adapted) and the idcooling is-60, being the big shuriken worse and the idcooling slightly better with just one 120x15 noctua (and being slimmer) The good thing about the id-cooling is that it´s very slim and with the 15mm fan over, it has roughly the same height as the black ridge with just the 92mm fan, I thought it was going to be a "meh" cooler but it´s quite good. Black ridge is also good, but I think it has too little mass and it heats up and down very very fast so the fans are always changing speeds and that fact makes me mad. The is-60 has a big chunk of alluminium over the cpu coldplate and I guess that helps stabilyzing temperatures.

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
I have the black ridge with both noctuas 92mm and 120 x 15mm and forget about cooling a 3900 at 1.25 or similar.
I have a 3700x at 4200 and 1.28v and it gets to 96 degrees within seconds at prime 95 small fft. It gets to 86 degrees on a single cinebench r20 run. That with the case opnened. I guess the 3900 is going to be even more diffcult to cool down

On stock it cools the cpu well because it goes down to 3900 mhz or so and 1.05v when using all cores.

It´s more or less the same story with big shuriken 2 (old one, adapted) and the idcooling is-60, being the big shuriken worse and the idcooling slightly better with just one 120x15 noctua (and being slimmer) The good thing about the id-cooling is that it´s very slim and with the 15mm fan over, it has roughly the same height as the black ridge with just the 92mm fan, I thought it was going to be a "meh" cooler but it´s quite good. Black ridge is also good, but I think it has too little mass and it heats up and down very very fast so the fans are always changing speeds and that fact makes me mad. The is-60 has a big chunk of alluminium over the cpu coldplate and I guess that helps stabilyzing temperatures.
Hi Paul
i stated that: '' i currently run mine 3900x on 1.25V 4.2 solid all cores that seems to be comfortable with a custom water loop ''
@ 70 deg not in cinebench but in a real render scene in Vred that seems to push the temperatures a bit up in cinebench its around 67
nowhere i stated that you can run it wit the black ridge. the top for black ridge was 4 ghz at 1.06
i had the fans on the black ridge facing inside, didnt test the other way around.
also wich board are you using? try to turn up a notch the LLC dropof for me the Gigabyte bios update to ABB fixed sudden drop with vcore under load the LLC than you should be able to decrease the voltage. On asus this problem shouldn't be an issue if you believe the internet
i just uploaded my spex to the forum:

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jul 7, 2017

Totally agree about the IS-60. I am using one to cool a 3600x in a SM550 and it does a very good job, I did replace the fan with a Prolimatech 140mm Slim Vortex. I think a lot of people pass on this cooler because they aren't expecting good results which is too bad because at it's height it is very good for several SFF cases. You could even use a 25mm fan with one in a Ghost but that would put it very close to the side panel.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Hi Paul
i stated that: '' i currently run mine 3900x on 1.25V 4.2 solid all cores that seems to be comfortable with a custom water loop ''
@ 70 deg not in cinebench but in a real render scene in Vred that seems to push the temperatures a bit up in cinebench its around 67
nowhere i stated that you can run it wit the black ridge. the top for black ridge was 4 ghz at 1.06
i had the fans on the black ridge facing inside, didnt test the other way around.
also wich board are you using? try to turn up a notch the LLC dropof for me the Gigabyte bios update to ABB fixed sudden drop with vcore under load the LLC than you should be able to decrease the voltage. On asus this problem shouldn't be an issue if you believe the internet
i just uploaded my spex to the forum:

I have the gigabyte x570, the vdroop is not too bad, it goes from 1.28 on idle to 1.276-1.268 and it stays around there. For sure with hungrier cpus this will get worse I guess.

What I wanted to say with my post is that refrigerating these chips 12-16 cores on a sff case and with a low profile heatsink is going to be difficult and it will need undervolting. I say it because I wasnt expecting it with the 7nm process... or better said, I expected it but not this much that I´m haveing some problems with the 8core cpu.

I also render (with vray) and after I finish this first weeks of trials and errors, I guess I will stay somewhere around 4ghz because of high temps. After experiencing this, (at least in my case that I like to overclock) I really think that watercooling is mandatory if you want to extract good processing power out of these cpus on a small case.

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
I also render (with vray) and after I finish this first weeks of trials and errors, I guess I will stay somewhere around 4ghz because of high temps. After experiencing this, (at least in my case that I like to overclock) I really think that watercooling is mandatory if you want to extract good processing power out of these cpus on a small case.

Its not mandatory the problem is these cpus have all 95W+ tdp and a low profile cooler doesnt have enough surface area. Theese days heatpipe coolers are so efficient if you have enough space i wouldnt go for aio a noctua U12A is all you need i put a be queit dark rock pro 4 on a 2700x of an friend of mine and thing rocks dead silent 64deg at stock 4 ghz all cores. But thats not an option in the ghost.
I think the biggest problem is the airflow. The mount plate for the aio blocks way too mutch airflow plus you get the hot air from the vga/psu with witch the corsair 750 helps alot it just doesnt produce that mutch heat at peak efficiency.
I plan to water cool the gpu aswell but for that i need another large tophat and a bether graphicscard lets wait for the rtx 3000

Here are some pictures of the custom mountplate:

Last edited:

TMatzelle60

Average Stuffer
Aug 10, 2019
I saw a video of someone putting the Fractal Design S24 inside the Ghost S1 is there any problems with tubes getting kinked because the tubs come out of the top of the block?

Is there any problems with using the cpu cooler?

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
I saw a video of someone putting the Fractal Design S24 inside the Ghost S1 is there any problems with tubes getting kinked because the tubs come out of the top of the block?

Is there any problems with using the cpu cooler?
if the tubes are kinked that could lead to limited waterflow that could limit the cooling performance, and lead to leaks of cooland (total rip off) but if you dont open it regulary probably the coolant degrades before you encounter these problems.
thats why i used rigid tubing ?

Reactions: rfarmer

Flowism

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 14, 2019
hello i tested the BS3 and it doesnt fit with any motherboard on the gigabyte x570 I for instance the socket is to close to the back I/O cower so you can not slide down the side pannel dont know about the asus strix i just got it
will need to test first but as for thermals the black ridge with noctua 12x15 and 9x14 combo is far supperior even though it cant keep the 3900x in check at stock (because there is no stock it keeps overclocking till it hits a wall).

Hi, thanks for the answer.

I was going for the Aorus X570 mini-itx, and already bought the BS3 sadly.
Does it not fit on the motherboard because something blocks the cooler installation or just the side panel cannot slide? If the issue is sliding the side panel somebody made a "hack" to get 1-2 extra mm so it can slide.

I am curious about what you are suggesting, is it a :

Alpenföhn® Black Ridge + NF-A12x15 + NF-A9x14 ?

No issues fitting that with the Aorus board?

Thanks !

gotcha43

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2018
If anyone from germany is interested in a like new Batch 2 case in Black, PM me. I have a like new Noctua L12 as well.
Brillant case, but Not Using my pc...
Other SFF Hardware also available.

abear182

Caliper Novice
Jun 19, 2018
Anyone had much luck with Support at Loque?

I was looking to get some spare case screws because I have lost some of mine.

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
Hi, thanks for the answer.

I was going for the Aorus X570 mini-itx, and already bought the BS3 sadly.
Does it not fit on the motherboard because something blocks the cooler installation or just the side panel cannot slide? If the issue is sliding the side panel somebody made a "hack" to get 1-2 extra mm so it can slide.

I am curious about what you are suggesting, is it a :

Alpenföhn® Black Ridge + NF-A12x15 + NF-A9x14 ?

No issues fitting that with the Aorus board?

Thanks !
Hello sorry for the late reply but weekend...
Anyway the BS3 is a problem with the aorus it has the socket too low and too far tobthe I/O shield therefor the cooler sits to cllose to the rear and the side pannel needs some 5mm clearance to the side .
The pictures arevcrap sorry was not done by me

Nevercthe less the alpenfohn you need to modify thevlower 92mm fan so the chipset cooler doesnt interfiere plus you can break some caps if you have an old mounting bracket for am3/4 (they updatedcthe design)
But it cools better than the bs3 imho

TristanDuboisOLG

Average Stuffer
May 10, 2018
I just picked up a Ghost S1 Pangea and wanted to pick up some stuff. Namely a large tophat and a non-vented glass side panel like the ones outlined here in #5. Has there been any update on the side panels or when the Pangea tophats will be back in stock?

stepnyVLK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2019
I just picked up a Ghost S1 Pangea and wanted to pick up some stuff. Namely a large tophat and a non-vented glass side panel like the ones outlined here in #5. Has there been any update on the side panels or when the Pangea tophats will be back in stock?
i didnt know this was a thing i personaly would order the feet imediatly the should come as standard i wanted to make them myself :) a more vented top grille would be perfect