Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

SFFanatic

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2019
Hey guys, the Big Shuriken 3 does actually fit in the Ghost S1 (with minimal but easy modification). Here is a link to the gallery:
The motherboard I use is the Asus z270i Strix and the fan is the NF A12x15 PWM. I didn't try to install the cooler with the fan that it comes with, but I measured the thickness of both and they are both 15mm thick.

The cooler and the Noctua fan actually fit without any mods, the only problem is the screws, which is why I decided to mount it from the bottom.

Some questions:

1. How hard is the mod?
2. Does the mod require a Dremel?
3. What is the turbulence noise like while gaming?
4. Do you think it will have enough clearance for the new ROG Strix X570-I Gaming?

Last edited:

SFFanatic

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2019
this is awesome, what cpu are yoou cooling ! mind throwing in some thermal benchmarks?

It appears to be about a 3 degree improvement over the Big Shuriken 2 according to:

This means the average temp should be 5 degrees lower than the famous Noctua NH-L12

I think we have a new leader of ghost air coolers folks!

p.s just ordered my BS3 for £45 :D

Last edited:

bolo_1221

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 4, 2018
How much does having the fan right on the grill make? Is turbulence an issue?
I'm not sure how to measure turbulence, however, I did run some tests with and without the CPU side panel on.

this is awesome, what CPU are you cooling! mind throwing in some thermal benchmarks?
Yes! First, the specs:
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i7-6700K
Cooler: Big Shuriken 3 + Noctua NF A12x15
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) not low profile
Motherboard: Asus Strix Z270I Gaming
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290x (4 GB)
PSU: Corsair SF600
Case: Ghost S1 without any case fans and top hats.

I don't want my post here to be huge, so I'll just comment on my results on Imgur.

For a small conclusion, the BS3 is an amazing cooler. It not only cools your CPU but also the VRMs and stuff, has no maximum ram height, and the fan mounting is probably the best in the market since it uses standard 120mm fan mounts.

PS: sorry for the delay, went out last night :)

GerryMz

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2019
I'm not sure how to measure turbulence, however, I did run some tests with and without the CPU side panel on.

this is awesome, what CPU are you cooling! mind throwing in some thermal benchmarks?
Yes! First, the specs:

I don't want my post here to be huge, so I'll just comment on my results on Imgur.

For a small conclusion, the BS3 is an amazing cooler. It not only cools your CPU but also the VRMs and stuff, has no maximum ram height, and the fan mounting is probably the best in the market since it uses standard 120mm fan mounts.

thanks a lot man ! appreciate the work, btw have you delidded your 6700k?

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jul 7, 2017

Yes! First, the specs:

Thanks for the testing, I was curious how the BS3 would work in the Ghost. I still have a BS2 which works really well just wish it had AM4 mounting.

As far as turbulence goes believe me you can tell. My Ghost is water cooled with a top mounted radiator, the radiator + fan comes to 54mm and the way the top grill fits inside the top hat puts the fans within like 1mm of the grill. At load I can hear the turbulence from the fans, not loud but noticeable, when I remove the grill the sound stops. If you don't hear a noticeable difference with the side panels on or off you are good.

Oh and btw not surprised with your R9 290x temps, those things always were space heaters.

Reactions: bolo_1221

GerryMz

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2019
Do you think a 3700X could cope well in a Ghost with a BS3? I'm planing to pair this CPU with my 2080.
i'm also planning to do this !, i did notice the 6700k was producing 102watts of heat and it was already at 82C degrees, not to mention it's only 4cores/8threads and 95wats tdp

bolo_1221

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 4, 2018
Some questions:

1. How hard is the mod?
2. Does the mod require a Dremel?
3. What is the turbulence noise like while gaming?
4. Do you think it will have enough clearance for the new ROG Strix X570-I Gaming?

1. easy
2. Anything that makes holes with a diameter of 4.8mm.
3. Thank you rfarmer for the tips about the turbulence. Sadly I made a video about testing turbulence with ammonium chloride gas before reading this, please don't watch it it's cringy... Anyway, to test the noise difference, I blocked my GPU fan using a screwdriver and then comparing the noise with and without the side panel on. I can definitely say there is a noticeable difference. At 60% fan speed w/o side panel, the fan is basically inaudible (very low humming noise) from about 30cm. With the side panel on the noise is a little bit higher pitch, and louder. I have to reduce the speed to 45% to make it as quiet as before.
4. About 4.2mm of clearance for the io backplate/VRM heatsink. I can confidently say that there will be no issues on the side of the IO, however, what concerns me is the bottom part, which seems to be the same height as the rest of the cover. The BS3 reaches almost the end of the RAM slots (no idea how to describe this), and the big cover/heatsink at the bottom of the X570i board seems like it will be a problem. However, I do see screws, which means you could remove it completely and/or make your own heatsink.

Do you think a 3700X could cope well in a Ghost with a BS3? I'm planing to pair this CPU with my 2080.
According to this website, the 3700X will have a TDP of 65W, but it seems fishy because the 3600X, which has 2 fewer cores, has a TDP of 95W. wtf? Assuming this is true, I can imagine it being completely fine since the 6700k has a TDP of 91W listed on Intel's website. Time will tell.

All things aside, I made a tutorial explaining every detail of the modding and installation. For those who want even more info:

loopaddiction

Chassis Packer
Dec 4, 2018
I was actually going to ask if the 3900X would be OK in an air-cooled S1 with BS3, but I guess that's a bit too ambitious, haha. I'm guessing water-cooled is the only solution for that CPU.

Interested to see upcoming 3700X/3900X + S1 builds in the coming months though. These new Ryzen chips look amazing. Hopefully at least the 3700X is feasible in an air-cooled build with the BS3.

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
Any idea when we will have Ghost cases with glass panels?

Please, don't give them any ideas. I am STILL waiting for my medium size tophats from an October 2018 order. If they start adding new accessories, those who order the chassis will never get them.

You could make one yourself or order a piece of glass cut and drilled to your needs. Of course it will be costly.

Last edited:

promaty

Caliper Novice
Jun 15, 2019
Yeah that's why I didn't back the first batch, if I'm going to do water cooling then it's going to be custom loop with window panels. I don't want to hide all of my hard work behind the grill. :)

dKenGuru

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 2, 2019
dken.guru
This really isn't the case for watercooling IMO unless you are prepared to go mad with tophats, at which point you may as well just go for the Ncase.
Any case can be watercooled in someway. For Ghost you need only one L top hat for create normal loop. With L+M top hats it is more easy.
If you can't, it doesn't mean, what no one can.

Reactions: rfarmer