Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
All the 1080s i've seen have one 8 pin connector. From what I read an 8pin delivers 150W. The TDP of a 1080 is 180W, so it must be getting 30W from the PCI-E riser in JayTwoCents build.

The EVGA 1080ti has a 8pin and 6 pin for a total of 150+75 = 225W. The TDP is 250W, so it only needs 25W from the riser.

If the riser can provide 30W to the 1080, why can't it provide 25W to the 1080ti? something doesn't add up.

Reactions: Illumna97

Bangle

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 12, 2018
All the 1080s i've seen have one 8 pin connector. From what I read an 8pin delivers 150W. The TDP of a 1080 is 180W, so it must be getting 30W from the PCI-E riser in JayTwoCents build.

The EVGA 1080ti has a 8pin and 6 pin for a total of 150+75 = 225W. The TDP is 250W, so it only needs 25W from the riser.

If the riser can provide 30W to the 1080, why can't it provide 25W to the 1080ti? something doesn't add up.

Who said it can't? I'm confused.com.

Anyway a 600w PSU should handle a i7 6700k, 1080Ti etc. config so no need to panic.

Plus i think you are confusing TDP with Wattage consumption. They are two different things.

deagle

Efficiency Noob
May 31, 2018
Who said it can't? I'm confused.com.

Anyway a 600w PSU should handle a i7 6700k, 1080Ti etc. config so no need to panic.

Plus i think you are confusing TDP with Wattage consumption. They are two different things.
I was skeptical of the 500W 40A PSU in Jay's video causing the 1080 Ti issues. So I suspected the riser. But I didn't consider that the regular 1080 would be pulling more.

Illumna97

Cable Smoosher
May 20, 2018
On another topic: MAYBE a SOLUTION to the CPU-Cooler/Heatsink problem

So you guys know that the NH-L12 from Noctua (Louqe's recommended air-cooler) currently is not available...
so were left with the:
--NH-L9x65 which is also less than ideal because it creates more noise and turbulence since its basically at the side panel (2mm clearance)
--NH-L9i which is less performant than the x65, but doesnt have the space problem!
--And some other coolers that i cant really say much, except that i have heard that they're(cryorig, bequiet etc.) usually less performant in most categories.

AND since the new NF-A12x25 on which they approx. worked 5 years just came out, I thought:
Maybe you can replace the
NH-L9i's 92mm cooler with the NF-A12x25 using an adapter like these:
https://www.google.de/search?q=120+...r3bAhXENJoKHUt3ClcQ_AUICygC&biw=3400&bih=1303

would appreciate hearing your thoughts
thank you
:)

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017
I was skeptical of the 500W 40A PSU in Jay's video causing the 1080 Ti issues. So I suspected the riser. But I didn't consider that the regular 1080 would be pulling more.
Yeh I think we're good to go. It was probably the PSU or something with Jays build alone.

Bangle

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 12, 2018

So you guys know that the NH-L12 from Noctua (Louqe's recommended air-cooler) currently is not available...
so were left with the:
--NH-L9x65 which is also less than ideal because it creates more noise and turbulence since its basically at the side panel (2mm clearance)
--NH-L9i which is less performant than the x65, but doesnt have the space problem!
--And some other coolers that i cant really say much, except that i have heard that they're(cryorig, bequiet etc.) usually less performant in most categories.

AND since the new NF-A12x25 on which they approx. worked 5 years just came out, I thought:
https://www.google.de/search?q=120+...r3bAhXENJoKHUt3ClcQ_AUICygC&biw=3400&bih=1303

thank you

Cryorig are bringing out a copper C7. with a fan swap this might be just as good.

zacobin

Trash Compacter
Oct 31, 2017

so were left with the:

thank you

The NH-L12 will be re released sometime this month on official Noctua channels (Amazon and eBay, I believe).

Winston Britto

Efficiency Noob
May 25, 2018
@PaChalski What kind of GPU cooler do you recommend a blower style cooler (like a reference card , founder's edition card ) or an air cooler? I've heard many people say that blower style coolers are more suitable for SFF cases ( like this one ) but your GPU compatibility list is full of air cooled cards and even your air cooled build on YouTube has a ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Strix Gaming OC 8GB an air cooled card. So I'm confused as to which type of card is more suitable for this particular case. If it's an air cooled card does it thermal throttle and increase the temps of the other components in the case?

Bangle

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 12, 2018
@PaChalski What kind of GPU cooler do you recommend a blower style cooler (like a reference card , founder's edition card ) or an air cooler? I've heard many people say that blower style coolers are more suitable for SFF cases ( like this one ) but your GPU compatibility list is full of air cooled cards and even your air cooled build on YouTube has a ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Strix Gaming OC 8GB an air cooled card. So I'm confused as to which type of card is more suitable for this particular case. If it's an air cooled card does it thermal throttle and increase the temps of the other components in the case?

My two cents. Air cooler would be best. They run cooler than blower cards in general, and are quieter. The case is well vented for a SFF case. Therefore a air cooler card will get plenty of fresh air. Only downside I can see is that with air the motherboard and cpu may run 2 - 3 degrees hotter. But this isn't a big issue as the case is well vented.

You should check out Louqe cooler and temp charts. I believe they tested with an air cooler card, and show respectable temps. You also get that added benefit that air cooler fans do not spin when the graphic card isn't being used for intensive tasks. Blower card fans always spin and a noisier.

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017

My 1080 (MSI Gaming X) does have 8+6, but yeah, PCI-E power delivery (from the slot) is rated at 75W if memory serves, and I have no clue what JayZ's problem was. Shit capacitors in the PSU which can't handle high temporary peak loads maybe?

Nomad

Chassis Packer
Mar 2, 2017
I have had a 1080Ti and Ryzen 1700X running on an SF450 for over a year with no problems whatsoever, peak power consumption was ~420W when I had everything at 100% load for crash testing (I thought I was crashing due to power consumption, not the case). Then again I run mine at stock/factory OC. I would bump up if there was an OC involved.

Bangle

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 12, 2018
I have had a 1080Ti and Ryzen 1700X running on an SF450 for over a year with no problems whatsoever, peak power consumption was ~420W when I had everything at 100% load for crash testing (I thought I was crashing due to power consumption, not the case). Then again I run mine at stock/factory OC. I would bump up if there was an OC involved.
Nice. What was/ is the psu fan speed like? Is it noisy. I currently have a 700w sfx-l but i am thinking of getting one of the new sfx 650w units from EVGA or Silverstone when they hit the market. Wattage is probably overkill but i like having head room so the psu doesn't have to work as hard, and therefore fan speeds are likely to be lower, with equals less noise. For reference i'm using a 1700x @3.85mhz and a GTX 1080 FTW.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
FYI.
New SFX-L PSU is soon on the market from Seasonic.
It's a bit shorter then most SFX-L (-5mm) so it's only 125x125mm so should fit great in the S1 I think. + it has 10 years warranty.

Last edited:

tacchan23

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 17, 2018
Hello,
I am considering my first SFF case (main reason being potability in a backpack).
I tried to read some of this thread but is quite long and also there have been many changes over the months.
If someone could help me with this questions would be very nice!

1) are there any Dust filter available? (as I live in a very dusty place)
2) the Hats with USB ports are already available?
3) is there any simple cooling setup involving the top/bottom Hats and extra fans? (I live in a very hot place so it could be nice to have extra cooling, if it's easily removable along with the Hat when I need to travel)

Thanks

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Hello,
I am considering my first SFF case (main reason being potability in a backpack).
I tried to read some of this thread but is quite long and also there have been many changes over the months.
If someone could help me with this questions would be very nice!

1) are there any Dust filter available? (as I live in a very dusty place)
2) the Hats with USB ports are already available?
3) is there any simple cooling setup involving the top/bottom Hats and extra fans? (I live in a very hot place so it could be nice to have extra cooling, if it's easily removable along with the Hat when I need to travel)

Thanks

1.As i understand it magnetic dust filters are being developed and you get get that as accsessories when the case officially launches.
As well as the UH-L12 from noctua for air cooling that they recommend will be available from Amazon.

2.Don't think any special version top hat is priority right now.

3.they have tested it all for you already. There is a couple comparisons of air coolers. And also between AIO water cooler. You can find the pdf it on the Kickstarter starter page. Or their webpage.

If you wanna get a overview of the different setups you could do. Just go to loque own website. You can see 4 cooling alternatives depending on tophat. Click the round buttons when they shoudö different t tophat you can see the internals.

I'm not sure if air or water is most efficient when thr ambient rentemperat is high.

Last edited: