Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Curvas

Caliper Novice
Nov 17, 2017
So the whole delay affects the original ship schedule? the US, EU, Asia ship dates are delayed by same amount of days in order?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I'd like to add a few things just to paint a complete picture:

SATA M.2 barely gets hot, not needing cooling at all to keep from throttling. PCIe M.2 can get hot, depending on controller and usage. A low profile heatsink will take away the worries but basically you get warranty on these drives and they only heat up to a point of throttling if they are heavily loaded for a while, not at idle.

If your motherboard uses lanes from the GPU PCIe x16 slot and turns it into a x8 slot electrically, it's not going to matter much for gaming. In testing it has shown to only affect gaming performance in a 1-2% difference. That's a performance difference that's easily caused by a driver update, dust build-up in heatsinks or so many other factors.

I like the fact that your storage has no cables and no meaningful volume the most.

@Phuncz - Many thanks for your excellent input, that's really handy.
I knew that there was a bandwidth loss, but thought it was considerably more than that, hence my tone.
I now don't feel so bad about the used Strix X470I Gaming board that I have been offered; sadly only my wallet is the one complaining, as fast & compatible DDR4 is still so expensive

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@Phuncz - Many thanks for your excellent input, that's really handy.
I knew that there was a bandwidth loss, but thought it was considerably more than that, hence my tone.
No problem, glad to help. PCIe bandwidth is rarely the issue in gaming performance, it might matter in certain memory-intensive professional applications.

I now don't feel so bad about the used Strix X470I Gaming board that I have been offered; sadly only my wallet is the one complaining, as fast & compatible DDR4 is still so expensive
I recommend DDR4-3200 with CAS 14, these are Samsung B-die memory chips most often, that have the highest compatibility with AMD Ryzen and can also be overclocked if desired. RAM is indeed still expensive, I was hoping on going with 32GB on DDR4 but price is prohibitive.

Reactions: SashaLag

leecm

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2018
Do you all think it would be worth it to upgrade to the 9900k from a 4790k running in tandem with a 1080ti? My options are either get the 9900k, the Ryzen competitor, or wait for the 10nm intel chips in late 2019.

I'm actually fine with the performance that I have with my current system. It does everything I want it to do. It's just that I think I'll feel a little bit disappointed not being able to use my Louqe Ghost S1 for at least a year if I choose to wait for Intel's 10nm. I guess another option would be to sell my Louqe and see what sff cases are available when I'm finally ready to upgrade my CPU.

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
Do you all think it would be worth it to upgrade to the 9900k from a 4790k running in tandem with a 1080ti? My options are either get the 9900k, the Ryzen competitor, or wait for the 10nm intel chips in late 2019.

I'm actually fine with the performance that I have with my current system. It does everything I want it to do. It's just that I think I'll feel a little bit disappointed not being able to use my Louqe Ghost S1 for at least a year if I choose to wait for Intel's 10nm. I guess another option would be to sell my Louqe and see what sff cases are available when I'm finally ready to upgrade my CPU.

If money is not an issue, sure, it's pretty signifcant jump. But in all honesty the asking price for the 9900K is ridiculous. You are paying almost 100 % more for about 10 % higher performance than the Ryzen 2700X. If you can't wait I'd get a 2700X. If you can wait a bit I would wait to see what the Ryzen 3000-series brings. I'm really down on Intel as of now.

newtothegame

Average Stuffer
Sep 1, 2018
I agree with Skarum, Ryzen's 3000 series will feature a new node that looks promising. If you can wait, there's no harm on seeing what AMD comes up with early next year, especially since it will most surely be a better deal compared to Intel's offer. Also, Intel's road to 10nm so far has been problematic to say the least and might get delayed again, I wouldn't keep my hopes high on that one until we have more news that say otherwise.

edrenmarc

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
Have the cases shipped?

Patrik’s post on slack from an hour ago with a photo of a worker next to pallets of S1 boxes all packed and plastic wrapped for shipping:

“Happy US shipment day, everything is still going according to plan and we expect the first batch to leave the factory today.”

*Edit - Sorry my image linking isn’t working

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
Great news! Looks like it's finally happening. Now I just need them to open up for the second batch...

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018

Bonus pics of the Pangea colour: