Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
The Q&A finished about an hour ago,

Louqe are handling customs charges
Ash cases are ready and packed
The other colours need to be re-anodised. Will take about a week. Should start shipping from 11th October.
All cases regardless of colour will be shipped together

Woo! Can’t wait to finally get this unique and original case. ;)

Reactions: Bangle

Bangle

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 12, 2018
Bottom-mounted 120 mm AIO. Not in a top hat, but Dan A4 style. Would that be possible, you reckon?

Image link appears broken?

rommel671

Trash Compacter
Aug 2, 2018
I don’t mind waiting, but I hope they tell us the Real problem, they were giving us some BS reasons this past few weeks.

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017
I don’t mind waiting, but I hope they tell us the Real problem, they were giving us some BS reasons this past few weeks.

Re-anodising the non-ash colors, as they said. I don't see why they would lie about that. Their track record in (lack of) communication indicates that when they've hit a snag, they either haven't said anything at all, or they've (most likely) been telling the truth.

As for the "moon holiday" story, I'm guessing it was made up by the factory, trying to buy time to fix the anodisation problem without Louqe finding out about it.

Reactions: zacobin

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Re-anodising the non-ash colors, as they said. I don't see why they would lie about that. Their track record in (lack of) communication indicates that when they've hit a snag, they either haven't said anything at all, or they've (most likely) been telling the truth.

As for the "moon holiday" story, I'm guessing it was made up by the factory, trying to buy time to fix the anodisation problem without Louqe finding out about it.

from the Q&A yesterday,

"here is the thing, we are getting mixed messages from the supplier and we are pushing to get a clear answer... If we are not there we are not getting the full truth... If they were able to stick to their initial confirmed timeplan and packed everything and THEN re-anodized we would have needed to print new stickers that go on the back of the case... so things don't always add up. When we got there we saw they were behind and that the surface was inadequate"

Sounds like the factory messed up and tried to cover it up...

greyhound

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2018
"Hi, we spoke yesterday about Limestone and Pangaea returning from the anodization plant and that these could affect the timeline once more.

The verdict is that we approved Limestone but sent Pangaea back, color was not right but smoothness was good. This should not affect the timeline, Limestone will be assembled and packed first and on Monday Pangaea will be packed (last 12% of shipment volume), we are still set on shipping the two bulk shipments on the 11:th and 12:th of october"

Randolf

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2018
Guys, would it be a better choice to occupy two M.2 drives if motherboard allows, and use the SSD tray slot for a 120mm fan on a XS build ? Thank you

Last edited:

Randolf

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2018
Better choice than what? All comes down to preference and your needs.

To free up space in case for an extra fan. Ive never built a PC before and don't know how having two M.2 slots occupied in such SFF would do in terms of heat or if it would fit.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
To free up space in case for an extra fan. Ive never built a PC before and don't know how having two M.2 slots occupied in such SFF would do in terms of heat or if it would fit.

Using M.2 drives is good for making space as you save room on 2.5" SSDs AND the cables to run them. M.2 drives may run warm, only the controller chips need cooling apparently. Saving room for more fans may give you better airflow and cool the M.2 drives.
One thing to watch out for is what multiple Nvme (PCIe) drives will do to your PCIe lane allocations...
My ageing Z97 mITX board halves the PCIe lanes for 16 to 8 when I fit an M.2 drive.
This seems to be the case with Ryzen boards with 2 Nvme/PCIe M.2 slots (certainly the case with the Strix X470). Some M.2 slots are PCIe or SATA, so you could have a slower SATA data drive in one slot and Nvme/PCIe in the other and not trigger the lane split away from your GPU.

Chrip

Average Stuffer
Nov 16, 2017

Im using one m.2 drive rear mounted. I went with Sata M.2 because I don't think I need nvme and the sata m.2s apparently run much cooler than the nvmes (makes sense).

The only real concern is with the rear mounted m.2 because of what seems like poor ventilation. The rear mounted nvmes in the Dan a4 get uncomfortably (for me) hot, but the GHost seems to have more venues to ventilate heat.

Longbow072

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 25, 2018
Partially why I'm planning up upgrading my mB to a Asus Rog Strix z370-I, both for the additional M.2 slot with heat sink and to get more fan power connections to better manage air in my case.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Using M.2 drives is good for making space as you save room on 2.5" SSDs AND the cables to run them. M.2 drives may run warm, only the controller chips need cooling apparently. Saving room for more fans may give you better airflow and cool the M.2 drives.
One thing to watch out for is what multiple Nvme (PCIe) drives will do to your PCIe lane allocations...
My ageing Z97 mITX board halves the PCIe lanes for 16 to 8 when I fit an M.2 drive.
This seems to be the case with Ryzen boards with 2 Nvme/PCIe M.2 slots (certainly the case with the Strix X470). Some M.2 slots are PCIe or SATA, so you could have a slower SATA data drive in one slot and Nvme/PCIe in the other and not trigger the lane split away from your GPU.
I'd like to add a few things just to paint a complete picture:

SATA M.2 barely gets hot, not needing cooling at all to keep from throttling. PCIe M.2 can get hot, depending on controller and usage. A low profile heatsink will take away the worries but basically you get warranty on these drives and they only heat up to a point of throttling if they are heavily loaded for a while, not at idle.

If your motherboard uses lanes from the GPU PCIe x16 slot and turns it into a x8 slot electrically, it's not going to matter much for gaming. In testing it has shown to only affect gaming performance in a 1-2% difference. That's a performance difference that's easily caused by a driver update, dust build-up in heatsinks or so many other factors.

I like the fact that your storage has no cables and no meaningful volume the most.

greyhound

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2018
"We are still on plan, no new delays and green now looks brilliant!"

so it appears that we are almost there...i suppose that the only possible delays left are the:
- 10/10 national holyday-->delay in the shipping
- customs issues

crossing fingers

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
I'd like to add a few things just to paint a complete picture:

SATA M.2 barely gets hot, not needing cooling at all to keep from throttling. PCIe M.2 can get hot, depending on controller and usage. A low profile heatsink will take away the worries but basically you get warranty on these drives and they only heat up to a point of throttling if they are heavily loaded for a while, not at idle.

If your motherboard uses lanes from the GPU PCIe x16 slot and turns it into a x8 slot electrically, it's not going to matter much for gaming. In testing it has shown to only affect gaming performance in a 1-2% difference. That's a performance difference that's easily caused by a driver update, dust build-up in heatsinks or so many other factors.

I like the fact that your storage has no cables and no meaningful volume the most.

How can you tell if your motherboard disables pcie lanes when using M.2 storage in pcie modes?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
How can you tell if your motherboard disables pcie lanes when using M.2 storage in pcie modes?
You can usually find this in the motherboard manual or the specifications web page. For instance this is mentioned in the manual on an Asus Maximus VII Impact board that does this:

The M.2 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. Bandwidth on the PCIe 3.0 x16 becomes x8 when an M.2 device is inserted.

As well as on the bottom of the web page:

*1: The M.2 slot shares bandwidth with PCIe 3.0/2.0 X16 slot. Bandwidth on the PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 slot becomes x8 when M.2 device is inserted.

Reactions: Arboreal