The Motorcycle Thread

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Shooot I don't have the stones for motorcycles, although I wouldn't mind ever building or owning a Cafe Racer.

If I ever want a motorcycle, I'd first look at electric ones: https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/
But I'm probably one of the few people that don't think these are sacrilage.

I think these are super cool, just not sure how safe they are since they're silent.

Reactions: Biowarejak

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Got the SFF bike lift assembled, this weekend I should get the insulation installed in the shed workshop then I can wheel the VFR in and start pulling it to bits.
If I ever want a motorcycle, I'd first look at electric ones: https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/
But I'm probably one of the few people that don't think these are sacrilage.
I'd love one, but the upfront cost here is huge and charging it is a pain: a Zero S without the fast charger tank (still takes 2 hours to recharge) is £10k (in brand-new Ducati Supersport territory), the Zero SR with the charge tank and charger is £20k (Fireblade SP territory).
I think these are super cool, just not sure how safe they are since they're silent.
About as safe as any other motorcycle: you use the horn to alert people who can;t see you that you're there, the exhaust will only be heard by the people behind you that can already see you.

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2018
Nice, Did not know there was a motorcycle thread on here. :thumb:

There are so many great bikes coming out. Its hard to keep track of them all. I've been in the market for a new bike for some time but nothing has really been able to hold my attention atm. I normally ride naked bikes. But, ever sense my Enduro as stolen I have been thinking about going with something that I could still take to some trails.

So I have naturally been watching the Yamaha T7 Concept develop. But, that one I hate to say may end up being a disappointment. The KTM 790 Adventure R on the other hand. I am very excited to see what comes out of it. Hopefully we will see something from ECIMA next month.

I also like what Indian is doing with the Indian FTR 1200S. And hopefully ECIMA has a few other surprises for us. Would love to see a new Aprilia Tuono V4 and maybe we can all finally see the new MV Agusta Brutale.

I currently ride a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple 1050. Been on it for years. And just love the bike to death.
My Enduro was a 2011 Husaberg Fe570.
And I sold my 2010 Kawasaki Kx450FSM.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Nice, Did not know there was a motorcycle thread on here. :thumb:

There are so many great bikes coming out. Its hard to keep track of them all. I've been in the market for a new bike for some time but nothing has really been able to hold my attention atm. I normally ride naked bikes. But, ever sense my Enduro as stolen I have been thinking about going with something that I could still take to some trails.

So I have naturally been watching the Yamaha T7 Concept develop. But, that one I hate to say may end up being a disappointment. The KTM 790 Adventure R on the other hand. I am very excited to see what comes out of it. Hopefully we will see something from ECIMA next month.

I also like what Indian is doing with the Indian FTR 1200S. And hopefully ECIMA has a few other surprises for us. Would love to see a new Aprilia Tuono V4 and maybe we can all finally see the new MV Agusta Brutale.

I currently ride a 2007 Triumph Speed Triple 1050. Been on it for years. And just love the bike to death.
My Enduro was a 2011 Husaberg Fe570.
And I sold my 2010 Kawasaki Kx450FSM.
and

I want one of those sweet BMW bikes. Costs an arm, a leg, my newborn son, and the other motorcycle I never had. At least with a budget already being used for PCs.

Reactions: el01

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I want a cargo trike or maybe a better Exotec bicycle ;)

No, but if I was really to own a motorcycle, I would want either a solar-powered (gas is expensive here in middle-of-nowhere yet somewhat civilized Colorado) tricycle (adult size, although at 5"6' and compact in most dimensions I could fit on a child-sized one) to hold junk/unwanted PCs in the back. Or a Honda motorcycle. Because Honda.

(or maybe one of the Chinese electric scooters. Those are fun to drive until someone beeps at you.)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I've been red-lining my Taotao ever since I got it running earlier this year, probably maxing out in the low 50s when it should only do 30 mph.

I finally purchased a proper bike off of Craigslist: a '67 model Gilera 106ss. Fairly small engine, but it should do just fine for commuting once I finish restoring it. Basically needs all new electrical, rims, tires, seat, etc. Planning on making the cables all neat and pretty, PC habits and all :)

Reactions: Phuncz

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I've ridden a bunch of bikes in all different categories, but recently fell in love with older dual sports. The light kind, when they were really dual sports. I've been fixing up a DRZ-400 which is a little heavy considering the category but worlds lighter than other bikes I've been riding recently.

Electric motorcycles actually sound appealing to me. I have a smaller electric one I fixed up "for the kids" but really I have alot of fun on it. They don't have to have alot of range for them to be useful. It's not going to replace my cruiser, and that's OK.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I've ridden a bunch of bikes in all different categories, but recently fell in love with older dual sports. The light kind, when they were really dual sports. I've been fixing up a DRZ-400 which is a little heavy considering the category but worlds lighter than other bikes I've been riding recently.

Electric motorcycles actually sound appealing to me. I have a smaller electric one I fixed up "for the kids" but really I have alot of fun on it. They don't have to have alot of range for them to be useful. It's not going to replace my cruiser, and that's OK.

If you don't mind me asking, was it your cruiser you were riding when you had that little accident?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
If you don't mind me asking, was it your cruiser you were riding when you had that little accident?

Nope, it was the DRZ. I had just finished putting it back together after a teardown and I didn't get the throttle cable dogs in the carb all the way, so one popped out and got stuck wide open at a light right as I was taking off. World's hardest wheelie sent me flying backwards with the bike sailing like Thor's hammer into me.

I had a ridiculous amount of gear on because it was cold that morning or I would have been in bad shape.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Nope, it was the DRZ. I had just finished putting it back together after a teardown and I didn't get the throttle cable dogs in the carb all the way, so one popped out and got stuck wide open at a light right as I was taking off. World's hardest wheelie sent me flying backwards with the bike sailing like Thor's hammer into me.

I had a ridiculous amount of gear on because it was cold that morning or I would have been in bad shape.

Ooh, that's bad man. Glad you were fine.

I've had a similar accident (no wheelie though) on my minibike I built.

It got stuck wide open once.
I had to find a sandy patch, bank hard, and jump.

After it was on it's side, I killed it.

Always have a kill switch.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Oh, man. Oh. I never told you guys when I wiped out on the street. It happened sometime last year. I was moving along, suddenly the car in front of me stopped short. I was slightly distracted (any distraction is too much distraction) by a sign-waver, and in my haste grabbed too much brake. I was on my cheap Chinese scooter, so no ABS. I low-sided, busted the headlight, grazed my arm, destroyed a mirror. I probably pulled a couple of muscles and I definitely had a few bruises all on my left side.

I came aware. Not that I had passed out or anything, but I had definitely been dazed for a second. The first thought was, "Oh crap," and then, "I'm not dead." Traffic stopped all around me. I could hear my scooter revving idly a few feet away, and after I collected my phone and wallet from the street, I hopped back on, gave a thumbs up to the guy in front of me, who had half stepped out to help, and rode on. Went to work after dressing the road rash at my folks.

What I should have done? Pulled over to the Starbucks on the corner and had someone give me a lift. Badass as I felt for soldiering on, it's a bad call to mix shock, adrenaline, and a motorcycle. For months after you could still see the black streak left on the road where it happened. Stretched a good ten feet I think.

chromov113

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2020
Didn't expect to find a motorcycle topic here, hello!

I own the motorcycle driving license for 7 years now, but it happened that my first motorcycle season was last year. I had a SYM XS125, which... was stolen right at the start of this season. Bad luck. So I am horseless right now.

Going to buy another one in around September. I'm on a tight budget, so looking for something like old Diversion 600 S (Seca II in USA), or GSF 600 S, or ZR-7S.

Last edited:

chromov113

Trash Compacter
Jan 14, 2020
So it happened, got my hands on a dark-green '98 Diversion S (Seca II with front fairing). It is a restyling motorcycle with fatter forks and two brake discs at the front. The price was near to bargain, so I had to react quickly ?

Reactions: Phuncz

JTR620

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Sep 6, 2020
Glad to see some other riders on here!

I started years ago with a Honda 250RR MC22 but have since moved on, currently I ride this:

I've also got a 2016 S1000RR in the works but that won't be in my hands for a year or so yet.

Mark13

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2020
Glad to see some other riders on here!

I started years ago with a Honda 250RR MC22 but have since moved on, currently I ride this:

I've also got a 2016 S1000RR in the works but that won't be in my hands for a year or so yet.
Very nice bike. Came very close years ago to buying a Bimota KB3 - really liked the bike & the way it sat under me.