[Multiple Build Thread] Mega build thread.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well done, I can't wait to see how this build looks when finished !

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Thanks fellaz!

The proof of concept is now complete:
The EVGA Hadron can indeed fit an mATX motherboard with an SFX PSU.

In order to fit the SFX unit and still have support for a HSF, a full-length graphics card, as well as two top mounted 120mm fans, I had to figure out an orientation to mount the PSU. Once I figured that out I then had to fabricate some mounting brackets.

Using thick cardboard to craft some templates, I was able to ensure proper bend radius'. I then turned to aluminum, a dremel, pliers, and some spraypaint to complete the brackets. These also hold the PSU to the case using holes that already existed.

This bracket goes over the PSU.

This one goes under.

Here is the PSU installed. If you 'waldo' hard enough, you should be able to see the mounting brackets. Thankfully the cables are flexible enough to go under the PSU but even if they weren't, I would still have full access to all 4 slots of memory. I'm pretty satisfies with the end result.

The other holes on the bracket worked... but I preferred it centered. The 90-degree power cable fits perfectly alongside the edge of the mATX motherboard. I still need to craft the custom cable so that will be my next update!

Once I have the AM4 mounting bracket from Cryorig, I can finish the build!

Thanks for reading,
Drew

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Very elegant solution! I have a hadron with a silverstone 450 zip tied in the same spot. It works but definitely not as pretty. With an itx board though.

Nice work getting the mortar artic in there. I'll be following this one for sure since I have the black one and can totally copy your build ;).

In all seriousness looking excellent so far.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Looks great! I think I saw someone put the PSU fan towards the side to leave more room underneath it and allow exhausting to the top, but your solution is pretty cool as well.

Reactions: Biowarejak

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Small update.

Today I soldered on the custom length power cable that connects to the rear-mounted C14 inlet.

I then pulled the heatshrink over the tabs and hit it with a heatgun.

Then I wrapped it with electrical tape.

Now I just need to sit and wait patiently for Cryorig to ship the AM4 mounting bracket.

Thanks for reading,
Drew

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
A lot has happened since June...

So... apparently we lost the power cable to our 3D printer in the garage somewhere...otherwise, I really like the idea and would love to execute upon it at some point. We really hope to find it during the garage remodel.

Realizing that I never posted complete pics (sorry!) here is how my wife's computer currently sits on her bookshelf. I've always been a fan of this case and I am very happy with how it all turned out (specs here -mATX in an ITX case).

A little backstory:
We used to own 50% of another house (it was a duplex) that we bought into with a friend back in 2009. Long story short, we decided to sell our portion and reinvest those funds into our 'new-ish' 1200sq ft. house (purchased in 2014). As a result, I've been preoccupied with construction recently but I'm happy to report that we're nearing the end (I think...) of the rainbow.

On an unrelated sidenote, I've been super busy as of late which is why I have been absent from the boards (I missed you all). Unfortunately, I had to quit my freelance technical consulting gig as it wasn't bringing in enough funds or seeing the growth that I desired. Due to this, I went out and got a full time job as a Sysadmin -again. So instead of being able to do SFF-related work throughout the day, any spare time I have is just nights and weekends only (first world problems, I know).

It's not all bad news though, this means that we have a little bit more money to play with so.... ya, onto the progress!

Electrical:
I wanted to drop a 240v line to the garage during the remodel so that I could use my welder and plasma cutter but the electrician basically said, "Attach a 240v to this panel and your house will burst into flames"
OK. noted. XD

So we decided to replace it with a 200AMP solar ready panel.

Now it's time to tackle the garage!
For the first part of the garage remodel, we decided to add a door to the side of the garage that can be accessed from just outside the front door of our house. Without this door, the only other way to enter the garage required walking through our bedroom (at the backside of the house) which makes for a lot of unnecessary foot traffic and really dirty floors (less than ideal for stepping through before getting into bed).

- yes, lots of junk and my bike! No, we are not hoarders. We just moved stuff to this corner while we work on the opposite side of the garage.

We decided where the door would be and eventually built a frame around it (not pictured).

It was fun using a blade that cuts through concrete, stucco, and metal like butter.

(The decorative walkway is just a placeholder to something permanent)

At present, the only light in the garage comes from a single lightbulb built into the garage door opener.
We plan to add recessed LED lighting to brighten things up a bit.

Here is a picture before a lot of cleaning (my poor sim-rig is completely buried).

...and after a lot of cleaning (unintentionally deceiving at a different angle with better lighting).

We're also adding a 125AMP remote panel for the 80AMP Tesla wall charger (wife is soon to be owner of the Tesla Model 3) and various other 20AMP garage outlets in preparation for future LAN parties!

Project 1920x1080

Back to the computer front, I finally pulled the trigger and built myself an obscenely-sized Threadripper rig with the hopes that some manufacturer will come to their senses and offer an mATX motherboard sometime during the 4 year lifespan of the TR4 socket. Even if they don't... I have dreams to move it all into the mighty impressive Cerberus-X at just 21 liters.

TR 1920x @ 4.0GHz
GTX 1080ti @ 2037MHz
ASRock x399 Taichi
32GB (4x8) 3600MHz @3466MHz
NZXT 340 Elite (41.56 liters :\ )
NZXT Kraken x62 (280mm AIO)
Seasonic Prime 850

Gross! Look at all that space...wait no, don't! Look away!
At least it hides all the cables easily.

I decided that I wanted to vertically mount the GPU so a little modding was in order.

Ok, that's a little better to look at.

Ah, much better but a little too bright and flashy for my taste.

I added a 50% automotive tint to the case window. I think it looks a lot better now with the dark and diffused LED lighting.
The case is still too large though -while well constructed, I'll admit that it's killing me on the inside. The performance is nice though.

Here is how the new rig compares to the old rig (specs here):
Average: +63.92%
Average minus heavily single-threaded apps +86.91%
Overall average: +75.41%

The thing is beast.

For reference vs a stock 7700k:

For reference vs a stock 6950x:

4.0GHz 24/7 stable - All 12 cores @ 1.33v
Temperatures: 37c idle ||| 57c gaming ||| 66c load

Last but not least...
I built an "old-new" computer for my little brother as a college graduation present.
i7-2600k @ 4.8GHz
GTX 970
InWin 301
2x 4GB 1.35v 30nm Samsung low-profile DDR3 ram (I'm gonna miss these sticks)

I may or may not have bought another project car -a car that has long since been my ultimate dream to own.
1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC
https://i.imgur.com/0nmJ4X7.jpg

My wife wanted bunnies... so we gotz teh bunniez!
Left (mini-lop): Sgt. Pepper
Right (Lionhead): Flóki

..and a baby one.
Part Mini-lop, Part Lionhead (by sheer coincidence): Brontë

If you read this far, you're amazing.
Stay tuned as there are plenty more garage updates to come.

Thanks for reading!
Drew

Last edited:

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
As I had initially promised in the first post, I just finished refreshing my Simrig from 2012.

Rig:
Fanatec CSW v1
Fanatec CSW Formula Rim
Fanatec Clubsport Pedals v2
Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ
Heusinkveld Handbrake
Recaro Pole Position w/ sliding rail
Google Nexus 7
3x23" Dell u2312HMt IPS displays
Ergotech Triple stand

Sound:
Denon AVR-1612 Reciever
MartinLogan MLT-2 w/ built-in 10" subwoofer

Computer:
Intel i7-4770k @ 4.7GHz
Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact
EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB @ 1153MHz
16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz

============================================

Also, the Threadripper build has been completed for a little while.

============================================

The garage is nearly complete but still needs some love.