Maker of Awesome | User 1615
- Mar 6, 2017
Well, hey guys! As some of you know I've been playing around with a motorcycle project in the pursuit of SFF transportation. I have a scooter, but the reliability was dodgy at best at the start and I wanted a dead-simple engine for ease of maintenance. Enter, this beauty from the 60's. The Gilera 106SS. Not even a battery. Sears imported them from Italy to sell to teenagers, and as good a shape as mine is in, the welds look like crap so I'm planning on redoing the rear sub frame. That means I can go full cafe with a tail loop and everything. It also means I can do some aesthetically pleasing angle-matching.
Originally it had a points ignition, which I've replaced with a CDI kit from the folks over at VAPE. Paid out the nose for that, a bit less than the purchase cost of the rolling chassis. Looks like a solid replacement though. I've also replaced the carburetor with a new unit from Dellorto, via Eurocarb, which is pretty sweet. New intake trumpet and everything.
This is a project that has cost me way more than I'd like to admit, and I'm likely to deviate from a lot of plans I lay out here. First though, stuff I have to do:
- New Handlebars
- New Throttle
- New Levers
- New Cables
- New Switches (switch box was missing)
- Redo Sub-frame
- Replace Rear Shocks
- Replace Rims (larger, aluminum)
- New Tires (to match said rims)
- Fresh Paint
- New Muffler
More pictures eventually. I got stuff to do today.