Completed STX160.0 - The most powerful ATX unit, in the world!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Is that at idle or load? The link will sometimes drop down as a power saving feature, but under any kind of load it should run at full speed if it's capable of it.

What adapter are you using?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
The H110 chipset bare laying naked below the M.2 adapter, do you think there is a risk of overheating ?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Hmm, if the card is just plugged straight into the adapter I suppose that could be an issue. But the chipset doesn't really need a heatsink on normal motherboards since it's only 6W TDP.

mantide

Trash Compacter
Sep 17, 2016

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

It appears that it's only wired up for x2, notice how only half the pins are connected to the slot.

Reactions: Phuncz

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
So I havent had a chance to read through this whole thread yet, but if you were to start from the beginning, what would you do differently? you're inspiring me to build a mini pc similar to this.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
It claims PCI-E 4X...I'm thinking the other traces are on other layers (back side?) of the PCB. It looks like it'd be quite difficult to route those traces not seen on the top surface to the slot.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Did you have to throttle the 1060 SC to keep the system stable?

My S4 with the same CPU/GPU has been stable ever since I underclocked core/memory by 100 MHz.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So I havent had a chance to read through this whole thread yet, but if you were to start from the beginning, what would you do differently? you're inspiring me to build a mini pc similar to this.

Biggest thing is I should have verified the power setup instead of assuming it'd work. That wasted months of time while I waited on first the Pico-Box Z4-200-ATX to arrive (which didn't work either) and then the current HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX to release.

The GTX 1060 + CPU/mobo/drive/etc is really pushing the 160W AC-DC to its limit, for a permanent setup I'd use a GTX 1050 Ti so there's some safety margin.

There's a few little details with the case design that need fixed.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I just wish I had time to do Phase 2 of the project but oh well.

It claims PCI-E 4X

Kinda, it says it allows a x1 or x4 card to be used with a M.2 slot, which is technically true. But it doesn't really explicitly state that the adapter itself is capable of x4.

Did you have to throttle the 1060 SC to keep the system stable?

No, CPU and GPU are at stock. I haven't extensively tested this setup though.

SumGhai

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 14, 2016
I've been reading through this thread and using it as a resource for my own case design, it's been an amazing help! Thank you for putting it together.

Just a quick question: How far from the top of the retention bracket is the key-slot tabs/bridges that the bottom of GPU bracket slots into?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The GTX 1060 + CPU/mobo/drive/etc is really pushing the 160W AC-DC to its limit, for a permanent setup I'd use a GTX 1050 Ti so there's some safety margin.

What resolution are you running the 1060 at? Tom's Hardware power tests have shown that the card is actually less power hungry at lower resolutions (1080p being low in this case).

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Just a quick question: How far from the top of the retention bracket is the key-slot tabs/bridges that the bottom of GPU bracket slots into?

I'm just using cutouts in the bend to catch the tip of the card bracket. The card doesn't sit quite right though so take these measurements with a grain of salt.

What resolution are you running the 1060 at? Tom's Hardware power tests have shown that the card is actually less power hungry at lower resolutions (1080p being low in this case).

I tested at 1080p. FurMark and Prime 95 w/ two threads draws 180W at the wall.

jottwehh

Bonobo
Mar 19, 2016
I LOVE your STX 160.0 and I'm still not sure about if I want to try your build, going the STX-MXM way, or stick with my MC600 build. Anyway, I'm a little bit confused about the DC-ATX and AC-DC combination. Are you using the 160W Combo that is available at HD PLEX right now (160W AC-DC w/PFC+160W DC-ATX NanoATX Combo for 86.50$) , or is it another unoffical prototyp version?
It's hard to tell, cause I dont know when the 160 DC-ATX was released...
do you think the 160W AC-DC + DC-ATX Combo is enough for a i5-6700k (93W) and the short EVGA 1050ti (75W) ?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The AC-DC is just a normal unit, the DC-ATX is a prototype of the current version.

That combo should work, but it's really dependent on the AC-DC. Mine didn't trip OCP even though it was right on the edge but due to manufacturing variance a different unit may not be so forgiving.

Reactions: EdZ

TinyAudio

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 9, 2017
I have read every page of the process. Thank you for the page links.

I'm not sure who you were in your former life, but thank you. This has to be the single most informative group of posts I have ever read online.

Thank you for taking the time to set this all out.