Completed STX160.0 - The most powerful ATX unit, in the world!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The m.2 to PCIe riser is rated to provide 25W alone, and for delivering 75W power the floppy drive cable is supposed to pick up the slack for the rest. With a GPU that needs more than that through a 6 pin or 8 pin PEG connector, power delivery gets more complicated. Either you'd need a second adapter for a power source or a DC-DC power supply that splits the current to multiple devices. The KMPKT Dynamo was made to address this problem. It relays the incoming power and converts it to compatible voltages so multiple devices including GPUs can connect to it.

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Brilliant thank you. I have now got the HD Plex psu with 160w supply witha boost of 200w. I have also queried if I use their psu to supply just the GPU via a 6 pin then how much power can it provide and they have confirmed it can cope with 15a draw at 12V, so 180w, which will be perfect. Now just to design a slightly bigger case for the Asrock deskmini and get a GPU :)

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Does anyone know where to find the FDD to P4 power connector that was used for the power to the PCIe/M.2 riser/adapter? I can't find one - am in the UK, thanks all

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
Can the P4SM2 supply itself a gpu which does not require an external power supply (like some 1050ti)?

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Basically the idea is you want a small gap between the different parts of the chassis. Here's an example of what not to do:

Notice how the faces of the two parts are touching each other in the CAD model? The problem is that in the real world there needs to be a small gap between them to account for 3 things: finish thickness, manufacturing tolerance, and ease of installation.

Thermal expansion and contraction would be another reason but that's not typically something we need to worry about with computer cases.

So i submitted a design i made in Fusion360 with this mistake. I've followed this guide pretty much religiously when making my design, but since you didn't list what a good tolerance amount would be, i left it touching and waited to see what the engineers at protocase said. I know there are a lot of variables, but mine specifically were Aluminum 5052 with a powder coat finish. The engineer put .25mm (0.01") between all the touching surfaces. So for anyone else out there wondering how much space to account for, i think this is a good starting point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curiosity

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
So i submitted a design i made in Fusion360 with this mistake. I've followed this guide pretty much religiously when making my design, but since you didn't list what a good tolerance amount would be, i left it touching and waited to see what the engineers at protocase said. I know there are a lot of variables, but mine specifically were Aluminum 5052 with a powder coat finish. The engineer put .5mm between all the touching surfaces. So for anyone else out there wondering how much space to account for, i think this is a good starting point.

Good to know. In the Pure case I used 0.3mm but it is fairly small.

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017

Where other, lesser ATX units need you to hook up stuff like a motherboard, video card, and storage drives to it and put it all inside a case to be functional, the mighty STX160.0 is a fully operational battle station gaming computer right out of the box!

Hello there,

That's a wonderfull course, I read it all along days & night and wished for more :d

I have a question regarding pemsert (again!)

- As the minimum distance hole-edge for the one you used (S-M3-1 ZI) is 4.2mm

We first think of a square of 8.4x8.4mm as a minimum basis for these insert, like that:

Therefore, we here love to make think smaller, is it possible to round the corner, and get a circle who's outer diameter respect 4.2mm min distance from the center as mentionned by the manufacturere?

like that:

Or might this lead instead to some issue like cracking and so weakening the fixation?

Thanks.

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
@Hexagone_6 Aibohphobia has been absent for 2.5 years and you necrobumped a thread that had been last replied to half a year ago...

OK my bad, didn't know about him... Any news since then?

I just wanted to post a legitimate question regarding my next prototype, is 6 month old considered as a 2008 thread?

I guess I'll see that with the manufacturer.

thanks

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
OK my bad, didn't know about him... Any news since then?

I just wanted to post a legitimate question regarding my next prototype, is 6 month old considered as a 2008 thread?

I guess I'll see that with the manufacturer.

thanks

Somewhere, we have a general design/manufacture discussion thread, maybe you could post your question there.

Reactions: _ONE_

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
And I missed him..:)

Awww, I've missed ya'll too 😭

I'm doing better now, though I probably still won't be very active on the forums. BTW, it's she/her now 🏳️‍⚧️

If there is anyone out there still interested in cramming a PC into an ATX PSU form factor the two STX160.0 units are for sale (one bare case and the other is the same unit pictured in this thread minus the video card): https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...1x-chassis-only-and-1x-mostly-complete.17588/

Last edited:

SomeRandomDeafDude

Trash Compacter
Dec 4, 2019
Sorry for necroing the thread, but I have an unusual question. If I were to base a potential future build off yours with modernization in mind, but force it somehow into a reference ATX PSU that you have with your STX160.0 build(180mm long), could it be done? I plan on using an A2000 6GB/12GB or A4000 ADA SFF, a HDPlex GaN 250W AIO PSU, and a STX board ripped out of a DeskMini(maybe a B660 running a 12400/13400 or something)... I don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runamok81

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Guess I'm necroing the necro...

I don't have the software installed to open my old CAD models, but off memory it should be mostly doable with a LP card. The PSU can go next to the GPU, which will shorten the case much more compared to my design.

Reactions: Runamok81