Completed STX160.0 - The most powerful ATX unit, in the world!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Well, I didn't feel right just leaving this project hanging, so since I have some time before I leave on my trip I've reassembled the system.

This time I'm using a prototype HDPLEX 160W direct plug and it's been running Prime95 w/ 2 threads and FurMark @ 1080p for 10 minutes now without shutting down :D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Great to hear you're picking this up, can't wait to see it become full circle !

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
Well, I didn't feel right just leaving this project hanging, so since I have some time before I leave on my trip I've reassembled the system.

This time I'm using a prototype HDPLEX 160W direct plug and it's been running Prime95 w/ 2 threads and FurMark @ 1080p for 10 minutes now without shutting down :D
keep in mind that the HDPlex 160W is HUGE compared to the usual pico psus we've seen around.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
My original plan was to use the old HDPLEX 160W so it's fine.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Bwahaha! It lives!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I would love so much to borrow this for a weekend. People need to know about this project, thread, and imagine the clickbait thumbnail I could come up with...

I promise not to drop it in the Bayou like I did that one time with the Fury X....

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
damn if you could do a RX460 you could have a hackintosh FCPX destroyer

A Streacom or similar would look much more appropriate for a hackintosh though. STX160.0 is pretty ugly, even by PC standards :p

I would love so much to borrow this for a weekend. People need to know about this project, thread, and imagine the clickbait thumbnail I could come up with...

It's just going to sit on my desk while I'm in Japan because I won't have time to sell it before I leave. So you can borrow it if you're serious, but you'll need to supply the video card because I'll be taking the GTX 1060 with me.

I promise not to drop it in the Bayou like I did that one time with the Fury X....

Do you have video of that? XD

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The HDPLEX DC-ATX in there is a prototype sample so I'd rather not sell that, so if someone is interested that's willing to fill-in the missing pieces then maybe that'd work.

The video card can not be any longer than the EVGA GTX 1060 SC, it barely fits as it is. Height isn't too much of a problem, as longer the power connector isn't much higher than reference.

I'll email you once I'm ready to ship it off.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Last update was in September, but better late than never, STX160.0 is now fully operational! So without further ado, on to the pictures.

STX160.0

It's not much to look at from this angle, but that was kinda the point :p

バナナ

STX160.0 is pretty big for an ATX unit at 230mm, but surprisingly it's not the longest ATX PSU made.

IO isn't fantastic, especially for USB, but it's useable, especially if the monitor has a built-in USB hub for connecting peripherals.

That Adexelec extender fits perfectly, if it was even a few mm shorter it wouldn't reach.

Excuse the mess of wires.

I was really worried in the design stage if the RAM and heatsink would touch the case, but luckily there's a few mm to spare.

The original HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX would have cleared easily but with the 24-pin connector on the direct-plug version the video card barely fits.

I've mentioned it before, but here's how I was able to fit a 2.5" SSD inside this thing. Most modern SSDs actually just take up a fraction of the 2.5" housing, and the Samsung 750 EVO 250GB is particularly small so I was able to stuff it in a corner where there was space.

It's hard to tell what's going on and I don't want to take it apart to photograph it, but the HDPLEX 160W AC-DC's output is split, with part going to the H110M-STX's DC jack with a angled adapter, and the rest going to the DC-ATX.

From the DC-ATX, there is a 6-pin PCIe connector off the modular connector, and the SATA strand has been shortened and goes to the M.2 adapter for the video card's slot power.

Here you can see the BPlus P4SM2 and the wireless card between it and the motherboard.

It's alive!

So with the units sitting up like this so both CPU and GPU have intake but with the cover panel on, at full load (Prime95 Blend @ 2 threads and FurMark 1080p 4x AA) the CPU is around 65°C with the CPU fan going at 1700RPM, and the GPU is at 64°C at 48% fan speed.

So not quiet, but surprisingly not bad considering how small the system is.

---------------------------​

It's been a long journey (much longer than I planned) but I hope it's been informative. And with that, this project is now complete!

Or at least, as far as my work on it. @Josh | NFC will borrowing it to capture STX160.0 with them new-fangled moving pictures so look forward to that :)

Update: here's the video!

Table of Contents

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
This is really great, congratulations !

Did you simply jumper with a paper clip the 24Pin connector of the DC-ATX board (as suggests the black tape) ?

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
This is really great, congratulations !

Did you simply jumper with a paper clip the 24Pin connector of the DC-ATX board (as suggests the black tape) ?

I̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶a̶p̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶a̶w̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶P̶C̶B̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶a̶m̶s̶u̶n̶g̶ ̶S̶S̶D̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶t̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶n̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶e̶
EDIT: I need coffee

mantide

Trash Compacter
Sep 17, 2016
Last update was in September, but better late than never, STX160.0 is now fully operational! So without further ado, on to the pictures.

STX160.0

It's not much to look at from this angle, but that was kinda the point :p

バナナ

STX160.0 is pretty big for an ATX unit at 230mm, but surprisingly it's not the longest ATX PSU made.

IO isn't fantastic, especially for USB, but it's useable, especially if the monitor has a built-in USB hub for connecting peripherals.

That Adexelec extender fits perfectly, if it was even a few mm shorter it would reach.

Excuse the mess of wires.

I was really worried in the design stage if the RAM and heatsink would touch the case, but luckily there's a few mm to spare.

The original HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX would have cleared easily but with the 24-pin connector on the direct-plug version the video card barely fits.

I've mentioned it before, but here's how I was able to fit a 2.5" SSD inside this thing. Most modern SSDs actually just take up a fraction of the 2.5" housing, and the Samsung 750 EVO 250GB is particularly small so I was able to stuff it in a corner where there was space.

It's hard to tell what's going on and I don't want to take it apart to photograph it, but the HDPLEX 160W AC-DC's output is split, with part going to the H110M-STX's DC jack with a angled adapter, and the rest going to the DC-ATX.

From the DC-ATX, there is a 6-pin PCIe connector off the modular connector, and the SATA strand has been shortened and goes to the M.2 adapter for the video card's slot power.

Here you can see the BPlus P4SM2 and the wireless card between it and the motherboard.

It's alive!

So with the units sitting up like this so both CPU and GPU have intake but with the cover panel on, at full load (Prime95 Blend @ 2 threads and FurMark 1080p 4x AA) the CPU is around 65°C with the CPU fan going at 1700RPM, and the GPU is at 64°C at 48% fan speed.

So not quiet, but surprisingly not bad considering how small the system is.

---------------------------​

It's been a long journey (much longer than I planned) but I hope it's been informative. And with that, this project is now complete!

Or at least, as far as my work on it. @Josh | NFC will borrowing it to capture STX160.0 with them new-fangled moving pictures so look forward to that :)

Table of Contents
Incredible work!
I have a question about my own build. I am using deskmini 110 with a RX 480. However in GPU-Z it is showing that the speed is pci-e 3.0 2x rather than 4x. I am not using a Bplus unit though. Do you by any chance know the reason?

I am trying to make my own case but I am a little scared about the specification of pci-e bracket cutting(the part that of rear end of GPU where the output ports are), could you please enlighten me?