Completed STX160.0 - The most powerful ATX unit, in the world!

TheGooseIsHere

Average Stuffer
Dec 26, 2016
Thanks for the reply! And love the forum btw :)

It's such a pain that the STX is designed to take 19V input, but I guess there will be a solution soon enough.

I'm not mistaken you were attempting to power a GTX 1060 which requires a 6-pin connector (card requires peaks of up to 140-150W, averaging 120ish watts) according to tom's hardware.

Do you think a lower powered card such as the 1050 ti which draws 75W maximum would still suffer stability issues? I suppose I might be willing to take the risk and try it out if no one has tested it before...

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Do you think a lower powered card such as the 1050 ti which draws 75W maximum would still suffer stability issues?

It's hard to say, I tried setting the power limit for the card as low as it would go which should have dropped the power consumption to around the 80W range and it was better but still unstable.

But only way to know is to try.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I did this experiment a couple of years ago and managed to fry a 750ti and Gigabyte 4570R Brix in less than a second. I had a couple of custom splitters done but never had the courage to try again.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm working on a solve for this that I am hoping will be available sometime in the next several months in the form of a new DC-DC PCB from HDPlex.

TheGooseIsHere

Average Stuffer
Dec 26, 2016
How about using a powered riser cable instead of supplying power through the p4sm2? This riser has a capacitor on it, which may help with stability....

Last edited:

Shattucknick

Chassis Packer
Oct 12, 2016
I've come to the conclusion that I no longer have time to complete this project, would anybody be interested in picking up where I left off?
Would love to pick up from there but I am afraid I don't have the cash to spare to just tear open of those insane PSUs.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, this project is not for faint of heart or light of wallet :p

NRG

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 30, 2015
And If someone was interested? Do you wish to pass on any of the core components?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
And If someone was interested? Do you wish to pass on any of the core components?

The GTX 1060 is spoken for and I'll probably want to keep the 6400T for motherboard testing unless I can find a good price on a 6600T.

I have two cases but only one one set of parts, of which I could bundle the STX board, modified CPU heatsink, M.2 to PCIe adapter, Adex Elec extender, 160W AC-DC, and test wire harness.

What's left to do?

So the video card, possibly CPU, DC-ATX solution for the GPU, and storage would need to be sourced. I would recommend using a GTX 1050 Ti because the GTX 1060's power draw caused many headaches and it will be right on the edge of the 160W AC-DC unit's OCP trip point without lowering the power limit.

Then it's a matter of getting it all to fit, which will almost certainly require shortening all the cables so they take up less space. And I never really figured out where to put the SSD.

A regular 2.5" drive won't really fit anywhere, so I was planning to take the Samsung 750 EVO 250GB and remove it from the casing since the PCB itself is tiny. It's actually smaller than any of the mSATA to SATA adapters I've seen.

Shattucknick

Chassis Packer
Oct 12, 2016
The GTX 1060 is spoken for and I'll probably want to keep the 6400T for motherboard testing unless I can find a good price on a 6600T.

I have two cases but only one one set of parts, of which I could bundle the STX board, modified CPU heatsink, M.2 to PCIe adapter, Adex Elec extender, 160W AC-DC, and test wire harness.

So the video card, possibly CPU, DC-ATX solution for the GPU, and storage would need to be sourced. I would recommend using a GTX 1050 Ti because the GTX 1060's power draw caused many headaches and it will be right on the edge of the 160W AC-DC unit's OCP trip point without lowering the power limit.

Then it's a matter of getting it all to fit, which will almost certainly require shortening all the cables so they take up less space. And I never really figured out where to put the SSD.

A regular 2.5" drive won't really fit anywhere, so I was planning to take the Samsung 750 EVO 250GB and remove it from the casing since the PCB itself is tiny. It's actually smaller than any of the mSATA to SATA adapters I've seen.
I plan to be selling my current rig as I finish up that case mod. Maybe if I have enough money left over I will talk with you about it. Would be a fun project.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Sure, just let me know what you decide.

Probably what I'll do in a few weeks is throw it up on my For Sale thread otherwise.

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Perhaps inspired by this very thread, Protocase is doing a similar set of articles covering sheet metal design basics:

http://www.protocase.com/blog/2017/02/16/electronic-enclosure-design-101/

http://www.protocase.com/resources/bend-radius.php

Even if you've read this whole thread (kudos to you!), I'd recommend taking a look if you're considering designing a case because there are some details I didn't cover and the list of bend radius and minimum bend length for different thicknesses of various metals is very useful.