Power Supply Smallest PSU for Nvidia's 32GB GV100

SaibotC

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Dec 9, 2018
Hey folks,

Seeking some advice on two problems.

I recently got a Quadro GV100(exact same as the Titan V, but with more vram) from Nvidia and I'm using it to render ultra-realistic VR experiences, and I would like to build a portable egpu system for it so I can bring it around.

I plan to take this through the airport in my carry-on very often, so I would like to avoid anything sketchy looking. Meaning, no SFF PSUs, no giant Razer Core X boxes. I guess a Razer Core v2 would be another option, but it's really heavy and expensive.

1)
I plan to connect it to a MSI computer through a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port, what would be the best TB3 to PCIE adapter to get? Something small, preferably without the PCB exposed(but I can 3D print my own enclose too if if needed). Cheaper would be better.

Currently I am looking at the Akitio Thunder3 DIY kit, but it seems to require a second power adapter going to the adapter, in addition to the brick for the GPU? It would be great if I could do both with one power supply.

2)
I'm looking for a standard black "brick style" power supply that is typically seen with gaming laptops.

So far, I have found:
Dell DA-2 220W (Likely not enough power
Meanwell GST280A12-C6P 252W
Dell 330W

Unlike the 1080Ti, the GV100 actually only has one single 8 pin 12v plug. I'm wondering what is the process to convert any of those power supplies above to fit with 8 pins, and as I mentioned above, do I need another power for the TB3 to PCIE adapter?

Here is a picture of another user's setup which I like. But I think the Titan V/GV100 consumes more power than the 1080ti.