Smallest case for 65W CPU and DDR4

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'm a bit shocked though... how can a 7700 not be significantly faster than a 6700HQ, when it's 45w to 65... so a 20w increase as well as a generation. Right now I'm running a 4800MQ in my laptop; I was hoping for at least a 50% increase in CPU, and ideally more.

I probably was a bit cavalier with my comment. The 7700 is probably a good bit faster (15-20%) on an absolute scale. I think what I really meant is I'm not sure if the practical difference in performance/experience is going to be that huge.

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
I probably was a bit cavalier with my comment. The 7700 is probably a good bit faster (15-20%) on an absolute scale. I think what I really meant is I'm not sure if the practical difference in performance/experience is going to be that huge.

Right. I've been looking at numbers, and by almost any measurement, there's a 20% max increase. And you're saying the practical difference will be *even lower*... and is that also true for the AMD Zen?

{Edit, I'm actually comparing my 2013 Haswell 4800MQ, which is 47w. This is why I'm so shocked that upgrading won't seem to give me much more CPU}

Maybe I'm best off ripping my laptop motherboard apart - adding in new ram. Though I wouldn't get a fast PCIe drive. (I need lots of ram and/or fast random-reads for my work), creating an efficient cooling system, and making it a desktop.

I was thinking... what if you added thermal paste to the entire underside of the motherboard, then a layer of plastic/nail polish, another layer of thermal paste, and set the entire board on a copper/aluminum plate. So the entire board is heat-sinked from underneath.

You could do something similar on top - a vapor chamber above the cpu, touching to a large aluminum plate above the board? Maybe including some heat-pipes to spread the heat a bit more along the 'lid'.

Here's someone who ripped his laptop apart - his idea isn't too different.

Last edited:

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
Back to the more reasonable/practical ideas...

Could I put a T318 Vapor Chamber over the ASRock DeskMini, and then a Nanoxia 140mm fan over that? This was the 2nd quietest fan, but gives way more airflow than the most quiet in the list.

I don't think anything larger than 140mm will fit in the ASRock case. Looking at the charts comparing different fans, airflow and dBA, it seems that bigger fans really give way more air with less noise, so in a SFF case, I don't see why anyone would use a CPU fan. This system of vapor chamber with large case fan seems to make the most sense by far. Am I missing something?

So the heatsink is rated 135 Watts; plus a fan... maybe I can even get some good overclocking and not get too loud? I mean, in theory, the vapor chamber alone should handle an overclocked 65w CPU.

Last edited:

Phryq

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 13, 2016
www.AlbertMcKay.com
The T318 is socket 2011 specific, so it won't work for the DeskMIni which has an 1151 socket. The unit you want would most likely be the K129

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W04RE1131

Thanks. I thought so. Problem is, the K129 is only rated 95 watt, the T318 (and B2) are rated 165 watt (and the R15 is 150 watt). All the best heatsinks are for another socket...

Now I'm looking at some Xeon (server) motherboards. They're a lot more expensive - but support more ram, and I guess the CPUs are generally faster, and I could use a better heat-sink.

I would need the pico power adapter, and require more connection cables (I was reading, the thin-ITX and STX need less cabling, and so are easier to cool).

Or, I could wait for AMD Zen, and hope there is a Small Zen motherboard with good heatsinks?

Last edited: