Moving from full tower to hopefully, μSFF

coughlanio

Typical Gaijin
Original poster
Aug 22, 2017
Hey guys,

First post here, so please go easy on me ;).

I've been floating of the idea of going SFF for years now, but most ITX cases that were available on the market weren't much more than slightly smaller mATX cases. I live in Japan (apartments here are tiny), and will be leaving in a year or two, so ideally I want something that will take up as small a footprint as possible, and that ideally I can throw in a carry on with a 24" monitor when I'm jetting out of here.

My current PC is as follows:

Intel i7-6800K 6C12T
ASRock Taichi x99 ATX
32GB DDR4 RAM
Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD
Corsair RM750 PSU
CoolerMaster Mastercase Pro 5

There's only one real ITX solution for x99 on the market, and that's going for about $300 these days (and I don't really want to pay that for an outdated platform), so I'm considering basically building from scratch with the following specs:

AMD Ryzen 1800x
x370/AB350 ITX
16GB DDR4 RAM
Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Mini
Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD

Does anyone have any recommendations on the smallest system I can run with this spec? The CustomMod Mini 4.0L looks promising, but I'm wondering if there's any other alternatives with regards to the case/PSU before I jump in. I know the 1080 Ti is the limiting factor, but if I'm spending this much money, I at least want to get a boost somewhere. And it'll allow for more upgrade opportunities in the future, hopefully.

Thanks in advance.