Concept Battery powered mini gaming desktop

Thr45h

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Feb 19, 2024
Hello guys, New here.

I'm sure there is plenty on the subject if I look around for it. I plan on building my first sff pc soon. Been looking at other builds the past 2 weeks trying to decide exactly what I want to do. I'm not much of an electrician so I'll have to do my research. I was thinking wouldn't it be cool to have a battery pack built in and have 240v USB c charging. Find a motherboard that has lightning bolt display input so your gpu can go to the motherboard then into a Thunderbolt mobile monitor and be able to power the monitor and display through a single cable. Was planning on ordering custom mod SLM1 with a rtx 4060 lp. (I may have to go with a bigger case) Not sure which motherboard or cpu I would use yet. Preferably something mid range with low power consumption. My understanding is intel idles low but ramps up high when gaming, while amd's new ryzen idles with 3x the consumption but all in all has much lower power consumption. My other thoughts are I think finding a motherboard from amd supporting Thunderbolt 4 may be difficult. I saw an msi one that supported Thunderbolt 3.

Other thoughts I have... if I built in a battery pack does anyone have a link to someone who made a guide? How easily can I use this with a pico power supply or an hdplex? Instead of the normal power connection, has anyone used type c? Is it possible to use type c or is it over complicated? If I have a battery built in to the pc how do I get windows to recognize it like a laptop?

Let me know your thoughts. I may not know what I'm doing yet but I'm a quick learner... on a side note a friend gave me his old resin printer. I need to replace the screen. I've never 3d printed before but how convenient to have when trying to build a custom sff pc.

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
If it has to be battery powered, I would look for components with the smallest consumption. This would probably lead me to the 12-13400T - which is a 35w version of this cpu with -200Mhz. Then with a heavy heart, grab an ASRock A380 Low Profile (45w) instead of the 4060 (115w). It has a little less than half of the performance at less then half of the consumption for 1/3rd of the price. With all that, you could have a pc that peaks at merely 100w.
Then I would look for possible batteries and select a case based on the fitment of the battery. Maybe laptop batteries can be used.
All in all, maybe diving into this would just eventually lead you to make a regular build with a 4060 that runs off a power socket and be happy with it:)

etal

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2017
There are some itx motherboards with Amd 7840 mobile cpus preinstalled, might be an option for relatively high performance and low power consumption.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
You can use usb-pd supply with Framework Mainboard also.

As for monitoring the battery level in windows, it's not going to happen easily because cause that needs custom drivers and sensors on the battery (or board) itself which communicates with windows. The closest solution I found to that problem was using Phidgets voltage and current sensor and usb hub which can report the voltage and current to windows. These devices come with windows drivers and a software tool to write scripts to handle their data. Then you can write a script which will interpret the data into a state of charge display.

Or you can use a Victron Smart Shunt and make a tool in windows to read and report the state of charge data being sent over bluetooth low energy (there are repos on github to do it where the hard work was done already).

Still these are work arounds and not a way to get windows to natively recognize your battery

Last edited: