Funding CustomMOD Nano 1.6L (based on Asrock DeskMini GTX)

Choose best style of venting holes - https://imgur.com/a/3rpoc

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frazhna

Caliper Novice
Jul 17, 2017
The cooler they have on that 1060 looks scarcely better than a home made heat sink. I wonder why they didn't go with some kind of blower cooler it. Just cutting costs? Does the 1060 just not need that much cooling?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The GPUs are under clocked somewhat (~5%) when compared to standard desktop cards. As such, they don't require terribly aggressive cooling. Also most GPUs have absurdly large coolers for running at stock settings that are for show more than anything else.

sergiiua

The builder of unique cases ...
Original poster
CustomMOD
Jan 11, 2017
www.custom-mod.com
Some news.

1. Bios for B250M-STX MXM motherboard was updated today, from v.0.99 to v.1.3

2. We ordered 0.8L World Record Nano case at the factory. Final drawing:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Today I had a short talk with Asrock. They plan to release z370 in future, maybe next year. They plan to support STX-MXM format.

Coffee Lake, and the 6-cores / 12-threads it brings along with it, would be awesome in such a small package...

Now if they could bring down the cost of the MXM GPUs...

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you don't mind using an RX 580, the cards are vastly lower in cost than the GTX 1060 (only a little more than the desktop variants, considerably less when you consider the "miner tax"). The RX 580 needs the 270W version of the brick however having power consumption on par with the GTX 1080.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
[soapbox]

I was all excited about the ASRock microSTX / MXM platform, until I realized the markup was WORSE than Miner Rape..

Mobo - $200

PSU - $100 (probably less)

'Regular' pricing on a GTX 1060 6GB - $300 (rounded up)

Now, the stock DeskMini chassis is no where near another $200, so that extra cost has to be going to the MXM card...?

[/soapbox]

To keep on topic, how about a model of the CustomMOD Nano that has no top, just a giant custom (covering both CPU & GPU, would definitely need engineered) passive heat sink the size (width & depth) of the chassis...?!?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you had any idea how much it costs to buy that MXM directly from the distributor, even in bulk, you'd realize how good a deal the Deskmini is.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The motherboards won't be for sale in channel (ie. at the retail level). In order for the average user to get their hands on one of these, they will need to buy a Deskmini barebones kit. You could try contacting AsRock directly, but I don't believe they sell in volumes of less than 100 units unless you're a developer. Also as far as availability goes, I would expect Newegg to get another shipment shortly as this is the second time they've sold out since release.

Reactions: AleksandarK