Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
My vote's with the black top too. (not sure if it's too much to ask to induce that specific shipping error on ordering, LOL)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks for all your comments!
This Cerberus-x is definitely awesome!

Just to make sure Black top panel is your favorite, here is picture of it while on gaming desktop..:)

With red for comparison :

Sure, for a mistake, this top black panel has definitely my vote too..:D
@Aibohphobia, now you propose this customization.:D

To come back on my MSI GTX 1080ti Gaing X, it's truly working well in this Cerberus-X, no issue of cooling/thermal throttling. In benchmark, I don't exceed 74°C while OC to 2000Mhz (maximum core speed) and 513Gb/s Memory bandwitdh (so more than HBM 2..:))...And I managed to break 10k wall on 3D mark Time Spy :

I'm played that GTX 1080ti and my former GTX 1070 are very similar ..:)

Now it's time to upgrade my Keyboard and mouse, especially Keyboard..quite bad at typing...:)

Reactions: Phuncz

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Just for info, with proper fan curve, i'm reaching 73°c on gtx 1080ti core. I'm surprised by gaming x fans...even at 100% speed / 2500rpm they are far from being noisy.
For example on my r9 nano, even 60% fan speed was far too noisy..:)

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
well I've thought about it Im going to sell my 2x XFX R9 280x apparently cryptocurrency people are buying up all the AMD GPUs they can get their hands on and I can sell them for $200 each +

will be going crossfire XFX RX480 GTRs

Reactions: VegetableStu

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
well I've thought about it Im going to sell my 2x XFX R9 280x apparently cryptocurrency people are buying up all the AMD GPUs they can get their hands on and I can sell them for $200 each +

will be going crossfire XFX RX480 GTRs
Do you have a line on those 480s? I sold 2 nitro 480s and an Aorus 580. 350 each on eBay. It's ugly for AMD fans to get a Polaris card right now. I made over 100 profit per card. I love the 480 but that's 1070 money

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
Do you have a line on those 480s? I sold 2 nitro 480s and an Aorus 580. 350 each on eBay. It's ugly for AMD fans to get a Polaris card right now. I made over 100 profit per card. I love the 480 but that's 1070 money

I need AMD cards for Final Cut Pro X for my Hackintosh. but yes I already have the 480 GTRs

Reactions: TheHig

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
When are you receiving your Cerberus-x, i'm eager to see it and discuss on the best fan setup..:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
based on my latest gaming experience, dust filter I used were far too restrictive on airflow.
Now with no gpu power limit increased i managed to OC similarly my GTX 1080ti with coolest temperature. I'm reaching 70°C now @2000rpm fan gpu, with no dust filters...with dust filters...I'm reaching 2500rpm with 76°C

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
An increased chassi-fan rpm can't give similar results? I know how much dust is caught in my own filters - and I don't even have pets.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well my current dust filters are removing something 60% or more airflow...:(
Infinite vents from cerberus-x is already providing some filtering...i'll rely on cold air spray to clean my components every 3-4 months. I can also try home made filter with less restrictive airflow

Reactions: Kwirek

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, personally I find using no filters and low RPM for the fans results in pretty low dust.

Because filters restrictive enough to catch most of the dust kill airflow, while less restrictive filters still require higher fan speeds than no filters and dust gets through anyway.

I think unless the case is designed around filtration from the ground up like some of the recent NCASE proposals it's a lose-lose situation.

Reactions: Phuncz

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I also think that when considering filtration, it's important to pick fans with the appropriate flow/pressure curves relative to the impedance introduced by the filter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like your front intake is an airflow optimized fan, maybe swapping it for a pressure optimized variant could help with the filter in place.

On that same note, I am super excited for those liquid crystal polymer Noctua's which were announced at Computex earlier this week. Looks to be an improvement in 90% of operating conditions over their current offerings.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well my front fan is a noctua nf-a14, more pressure orientated fan..:) the one on bottom is af140, dedicated to airflow...simply on this fan, putting a dust filter reduced its speed from 620 to 520 rpm..lol

For now, like @Aibohphobia i'll stay with just infinite vents..:)

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
is the front panel curved at all? might stick a couple SSDs behind the actual panel and use super thin SATA cables

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
im gonna Dremel a rectangle into the frame to pull through a power cable / Silverstone "like" SFF SATA cable

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
You may have to shave down the plastic a tiny bit, but a SATA power connector should fit through the existing hole in the frame for the front IO.