Prototype Slim console-style case from Velkase. Looking for tester and reader feedback.

goldenhk

Efficiency Noob
Apr 16, 2022
Is it anywhere near production? A nice feature for it to have would be the option to mount 3.5 hardisk if short display cards are installed.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Is it anywhere near production? A nice feature for it to have would be the option to mount 3.5 hardisk if short display cards are installed.
Not near production yet but I'm actively working on it. Still need to finish the design and get new samples so it will take several more months.

It won't have 3.5" drive support though because almost no one used the extra drive space in my other cases.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Not near production yet but I'm actively working on it. Still need to finish the design and get new samples so it will take several more months.

It won't have 3.5" drive support though because almost no one used the extra drive space in my other cases.
I imagine it’s not too hard for buyers to mod/make a bracket if there’s a need.

No point adding cost and material waste to 100% of units to service 0.1% of users who actually need 3.5” disks.

FredSRichardson

Efficiency Noob
Apr 25, 2022
I'm really interested in the thin (less than 75mm) case design. Getting some power (i.e. RTX 3070 or better) into one of these would be awesome! I've been looking closely at the CL520 as well and this looks like a great contender in this category of thin console cases. I take it product launch would be some time before Sep 2022?

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
I'm really interested in the thin (less than 75mm) case design. Getting some power (i.e. RTX 3070 or better) into one of these would be awesome! I've been looking closely at the CL520 as well and this looks like a great contender in this category of thin console cases. I take it product launch would be some time before Sep 2022?
It will launch later, when production of the first batch is complete or is nearing completion.

It is still in the design and sampling phase. Once that is done, production could take anywhere up to 6 months.

FredSRichardson

Efficiency Noob
Apr 25, 2022
It will launch later, when production of the first batch is complete or is nearing completion.

It is still in the design and sampling phase. Once that is done, production could take anywhere up to 6 months.

Got it! Okay, that's sounding like early 2023 - at least I can imagine few good things come from rushing development! 😉

Reactions: SFFMunkee

razorgamez

Caliper Novice
Jun 5, 2021
So just a heads up to anyone using this case with a FE 3080 and I imagine 3070 and 3070ti. My gaming temps usually hovered around 75 degrees with mem around 95 on a 1440p ultrawide display with an undervolt of 1800 at 850mv (bad silicon lottery); Fans would usually run up to 75% to maintain those temps. Out of curiosity I stuffed 2 x Arctic p12 PST behind the gpu and have them running at 70% and gpu fans fixed at 35% and temps dropped to 56 on core and around 75 - 80 on memory with a massive non scientific but audible difference in sound levels (significantly lower).

Basically from what I can tell, the fans on the FE cards don't really run air through all the fins and the entire fin stack. 2 x 120mm fans do and they push a lot more volume through over a larger surface area.

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
@razorgamez thats an amazing result! Can you show a picture of what it looks like? Is there a lot of turbulence noise or anything?

I also run a 3080 FE in this case and noticed that is runs extremely hot with the side panel on because the FE flow-through fan throws air out on the edges instead of the center so it ends up recycling a lot of the hot air. Not a deal-breaker though as I just take the panel off

razorgamez

Caliper Novice
Jun 5, 2021
@razorgamez thats an amazing result! Can you show a picture of what it looks like? Is there a lot of turbulence noise or anything?

I also run a 3080 FE in this case and noticed that is runs extremely hot with the side panel on because the FE flow-through fan throws air out on the edges instead of the center so it ends up recycling a lot of the hot air. Not a deal-breaker though as I just take the panel off
Sorry about the late reply. Nope, no turbulence and I actually have the FE fan set to a set 35% with normal power and frequency settings. Works great, super silent.

I'll post pics in a few days. Currently trying to see how to keep my cpu fan not be as noisy without gimping my 5800x too much in terms of TDP.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Sorry about the late reply. Nope, no turbulence and I actually have the FE fan set to a set 35% with normal power and frequency settings. Works great, super silent.

I'll post pics in a few days. Currently trying to see how to keep my cpu fan not be as noisy without gimping my 5800x too much in terms of TDP.
Zen3 chips, in particular the 5800X are a prick to cool with normal fan algorithms because they get hot fast but level out reasonably quickly.

If you use something like rem0o's fan control, you can control the fan using hysteresis or even just a time-average of the temperature to prevent it going mental for short temp spikes.

Just my 2c, YMMV

razorgamez

Caliper Novice
Jun 5, 2021
Zen3 chips, in particular the 5800X are a prick to cool with normal fan algorithms because they get hot fast but level out reasonably quickly.

If you use something like rem0o's fan control, you can control the fan using hysteresis or even just a time-average of the temperature to prevent it going mental for short temp spikes.

Just my 2c, YMMV
It's annoying especially when an all core OC actually lets me keep temps fairly stable and cool. Trying to decide if I should do that and just call it a day. My chip is horrible with CO, -5 on any core seems to make it very unstable.

I don't really care if I loose 1 - 5 fps but can keep the cpu temps a lot cooler.

Atlas

Chassis Packer
Nov 14, 2022
Hello Michael,

are you still in the design and sampling phase?
Can you give us a little update?

I use your prototype since March and could give some feedback, if it is still of use.

Reactions: VELKASE Michael

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Hello Michael,

are you still in the design and sampling phase?
Can you give us a little update?

I use your prototype since March and could give some feedback, if it is still of use.
Hi, feedback is always welcome. It's useful for other cases too.

The design of this one has changed significantly and is looking to be 7.9 L with triple slot 320 mm card support, different I/O, and other more refined features. A new sample should be ready in about 2 months and then the first batch will be scheduled.

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Reactions: wipefox

labmonke101

Average Stuffer
Jun 22, 2020
D
I have seen it but they don’t have much in common. They have similar hardware layouts but different compatibility, vents are in similar positions as a result, both are designed for vertical and horizontal orientations, but that is about it.
Does the current design have mounting points for fans in front of the GPU?

with a 2-slot card it’s definitely possible to fit slim fans there, would be a nice option although currently is possible too with zip ties

VELKASE Michael

King of Cable Management
Original poster
VELKASE
Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
D

Does the current design have mounting points for fans in front of the GPU?

with a 2-slot card it’s definitely possible to fit slim fans there, would be a nice option although currently is possible too with zip ties
It does not have this feature currently but I am thinking about it. There are a lot of considerations to make when it comes to fan mounting in general: 40 mm, 60 mm, 120 mm, 140 mm.

Implementing it would require one of the following:
1) Custom die for punching vent holes in the side panel for fan hole spacing so that they act as a grid of mounting points. Screws would be visible on the outside.
2) Internal brackets that the fans attach to.

Other solutions that you'll see on cases like indented fan screw slots in the frame wouldn't be feasible to use at the quantities this case will be produced at.

Putting slim fans in front of a graphics card with its own fans should not be much better compared to putting a just shroud around the edges of the empty space in front of the graphics card (although the latter requires some DIY). With many graphics card models, you'll probably be better off replacing the graphics card fans with thicker fans attached directly to the heatsink.

Atlas

Chassis Packer
Nov 14, 2022
The design of this one has changed significantly and is looking to be 7.9 L with triple slot 320 mm card support, different I/O, and other more refined features. A new sample should be ready in about 2 months and then the first batch will be scheduled.

So how did all these specs change (from the prototype website)?

Specification:
Dimensions: 309 x 70 x 332 mm
Weight: 2.1 kg
Volume: 7.2 L external, 6.8 L internal