SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Blitzhex

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2018
I just built a a4-sfx with a full sized 1080ti and 8700k a couple of months ago. The case is great and I'm doing international travel with it, but the s4mini just looks that bit more portable and convenient.
I really want to transplant my build into one. I guess I'll hold off until a nice gtx1180 mini comes out, since I just got my 1080ti.

1180's are rumored to be 200w and I've limited my 8700k to 65w daily usage so an internal brickless 300w build should work.

Got a couple of questions
1) Would a HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX+HDPLEX 300W AC-DC coil whine at any load at all? Coil whine would totally ruin my build because my current build is absolutely silent at idle, only the gpu has minor coil whine at 144fps.
2) Anyone tried the same build in a a4sfx and s4mini and compared temps? Since the s4mini's gpu isn't separated in another chamber, do ram sticks and nvme ssds get hotter in the s4mini?

I'm ready to transplant my build into a s4mini right now, but my full sized gpu is holding me back :(.

Reactions: doomsdaydexter

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
1. Can't speak for the AC-DC unit, but my HDPlex 400W DC-DC has no coil whine. At idle my system is silent. Under load, the fans drown out any coil whine (not that i can hear any from the HDPlex - the Zotac 1080 Mini exhibits a lot of coil whine however)

2. It's worth getting a 2D/3D bezel with vents from Josh to go with a high end GPU. I found a significant amount of air is exhausted through those vents.

I have had no issues with RAM temperatures at all - RAM is overvolted and overclocked 4133MHZ @ 1.5V. Had a thermal probe on it during testing which read a max of 67C during an overnight HCI memtest run.

Have 2 SSDs in RAID - the one at the front of the motherboard under the heatsink has no problems with temperatures (70C max)
The one on the back of the motherboard used to overheat and throttle within seconds under load. Bought the EK SSD heatsink which helped a lot. I can only get it to throttle during a long benchmark now (80C max). I believe the controller on the 960 Pro throttles at 74C.

So don't worry too much with temperatures, I'm just not sure about running a 8700K with a 1080ti/1180 off a 300W PSU.

Last edited:

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
I just built a a4-sfx with a full sized 1080ti and 8700k a couple of months ago. The case is great and I'm doing international travel with it, but the s4mini just looks that bit more portable and convenient.
I really want to transplant my build into one. I guess I'll hold off until a nice gtx1180 mini comes out, since I just got my 1080ti.

1180's are rumored to be 200w and I've limited my 8700k to 65w daily usage so an internal brickless 300w build should work.

1) Would a HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX+HDPLEX 300W AC-DC coil whine at any load at all? Coil whine would totally ruin my build because my current build is absolutely silent at idle, only the gpu has minor coil whine at 144fps.
2) Anyone tried the same build in a a4sfx and s4mini and compared temps? Since the s4mini's gpu isn't separated in another chamber, do ram sticks and nvme ssds get hotter in the s4mini?

I'm ready to transplant my build into a s4mini right now, but my full sized gpu is holding me back :(.

How are you going to fit the internal AC-DC unit with a full sized GPU in there as well? :eek:

Blitzhex

Chassis Packer
Apr 7, 2018
How are you going to fit the internal AC-DC unit with a full sized GPU in there as well? :eek:
By full sized you mean a zotac 1080 oversized-mini kinda gpu? I think I saw a build log brickless build log with those, but haven't done much research on dimensions yet. Brickless is the dream though.

veganzombiez

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2018
By full sized you mean a zotac 1080 oversized-mini kinda gpu? I think I saw a build log brickless build log with those, but haven't done much research on dimensions yet. Brickless is the dream though.

I don't think you can do brickless with the Zotac 1080. This guy's running dual brickless with a 1060, and you can see the second PSU is installed between the front panel and GPU. The Gigabyte 1080 mini should be able to fit a second internal PSU, but then you've got a 1080 exhausting directly against the PSU.

Reactions: Blitzhex

doomsdaydexter

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2017

1170 specs rumoured to be just under or over 1080ti with 140watt TDP.

Reactions: br3nd0

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
So, I modified the HDPlex 160w transformer plug to use the Polarized C8 inlet, and it went pop and died, magic smell and all. I set about replacing it, and triple checked my work on the polarity of the inlet, and everything checks out, the system functioned with a snipped ground wire with the stock C14 inlet, so I am at a loss as to what went wrong the first time.

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
So, I modified the HDPlex 160w transformer plug to use the Polarized C8 inlet, and it went pop and died, magic smell and all. I set about replacing it, and triple checked my work on the polarity of the inlet, and everything checks out, the system functioned with a snipped ground wire with the stock C14 inlet, so I am at a loss as to what went wrong the first time.
Technically polarity doesn't play a role in AC circuits and rectified DC converters...
how was the connection made?
is that a 2 wired or recent 3 wired..?
for 3 wired its not advisable to use the C8 as it may leave ground open..
Some images might help to troubleshoot.

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
Technically polarity doesn't play a role in AC circuits and rectified DC converters...
how was the connection made?
is that a 2 wired or recent 3 wired..?
for 3 wired its not advisable to use the C8 as it may leave ground open..
Some images might help to troubleshoot.
It is a recent 3 wire unit, which functioned perfectly using the stock C14 connector, but with the ground wire cut and capped, and then failed when using the C8. I am trying again with a pre-wired C8 purchased from Josh, which he says should work with newer units. I do also have to factor in that it may be a defect with my power cable, so I will look into that.

If I had the means, I would modify the S4M to accept a C6 inlet, which I would recommend to be a change for a future revision of the S4M.

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
It is a recent 3 wire unit, which functioned perfectly using the stock C14 connector, but with the ground wire cut and capped, and then failed when using the C8. I am trying again with a pre-wired C8 purchased from Josh, which he says should work with newer units. I do also have to factor in that it may be a defect with my power cable, so I will look into that.

If I had the means, I would modify the S4M to accept a C6 inlet, which I would recommend to be a change for a future revision of the S4M.
How did you find, the wire you cut was ground? Have you double confirmed it?
it doesn't mention from the unit which wire is which.

Even I have requested Josh for the change to C6 later version (But this was intended for powering the GPU separately. So that wont happen), Alternatively, I have asked the right modification method to incorporate C6 on the C8 slot... Still awaiting his reply.
@Josh | NFC, Can you please look into this now, as the confusion starts spreading...

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
How did you find, the wire you cut was ground? Have you double confirmed it?
it doesn't mention from the unit which wire is which.

Even I have requested Josh for the change to C6 later version (But this was intended for powering the GPU separately. So that wont happen), Alternatively, I have asked the right modification method to incorporate C6 on the C8 slot... Still awaiting his reply.
@Josh | NFC, Can you please look into this now, as the confusion starts spreading...

Yes, I double checked that I cut the ground wire. Ground wires are almost universally denoted by a two-color shield, in this case, yellow with a green stripe. The connector between the inlet section and the transformer itself also has the ground inside a square plug, different from the neutral and hot, which are circular. This same wire is also the cut wire on the pre-wired plug purchased from Josh.

Last edited:

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Yes, I double checked that I cut the ground wire. Ground wires are almost universally denoted by a two-color shield, in this case, yellow with a green stripe. The connector between the inlet section and the transformer itself also has the ground inside a square plug, different from the neutral and hot, which are circular. This same wire is also the cut wire on the pre-wired plug purchased from Josh.
OK..
Does it work now when connected to C14 adaptor?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Might be a faulty power cable. Is it an all metal 3 prong plug to polarised C8 outlet? Because technically as it's not needed they sometimes put plastic ground pin in there.

Your neutral outlet _could_ be connected to ground pin, idk... a multimeter can be handy here. Or a torch bulb with battery.

BrotherStein

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 11, 2017
There is no room to fit a c14...

Pretty sure you could fit a c14 inlet there. I've not measured, but you could take out more room just below too (into the yellow).

Has anyone tried modding the case to accept the C14 plug from the HDPLEX AC-DC unit?

I haven't seen anyone do it (yet), but I bet you could. Assuming you can cut and mod the case/inlet.

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRLERWQ/?tag=theminutiae-20

That is the cable I purchased, everything on it lines up perfectly, rated for up to 10A 125v. I tested the plug I used with an outlet tester and it came back as being wired correctly, with the neutral connection being grounded.

I am going to test the system with a new HDPlex transformer once it arrives, I bought the replacement, and it should have arrived last thursday, but what came was a DC-ATX 160w unit with KMPKT's branding on it no less, asked for the correct part, and it should arrive tomorrow.

Last edited:

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Anybody knows the dimension of the circular cut-out for the rear power connector...?
Planning to use a Gx aviation connector...
Need to know the diameter...

Last edited:

NightBladeDK

Case Bender
Mar 2, 2016
Has anyone played with the idea of ryzen and a 1070ti in this case? I want a r7 2700 but i can settle with a r5 2600 if temps/power is of concern. I already own the 1070ti and I dont mind under clocking it significantly.

Reactions: doomsdaydexter