SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

D

DelUser6216

And they're gone.

'yo dawg... want some.. black panel' (I would get them but why when you have silver panels already, clutter my house please unless the S4M comes with it in the first place)

I missed the USPS guy so the Skyreach comes Saturday, my lust is furious, hnghmmmblllbblsnikt.

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
Thought I would share my build as it's sort of finished now finally!
i7 4790, B85i, GTX 1060 6GB SC, Dynamo Mini + Dell 330W brick
The case is awesome but short story is be careful if using an older platform as there may be compatibility issues. With hindsight I would have upgraded first.
Big thanks to all those who helped with the trouble shooting!
Long story after the pics...

CPU cooler Jonsbo HP-400;
Very happy with this, got it as it came with AM4 bracket out of the box and a better colour fan than the Noctua ;) My 4790 is undervolted running at about 1V for 3.9GHz across all cores (so technically overclocked). The cooler deals with this fine and I find it pretty quiet, not bad at all given my ambient is about 30oC.

GPU Riser;
Apparently some older boards like myne don't play nice with the riser. With the help of Josh who put me in touch with people at Dreamcore Singapore I was able to get (and even test beforehand) a riser that works (and looks pretty cool too).

24pin location + dynamo mini;
With the 24pin on my board down the side it was just possible to get the dynamo fitted after a couple of quick mods - removing a ram clip on the motherboard and removing the retaining clips on the psu connectors. It was however extremely tight against the side of the case. Moreover - and I'm not sure if this is due to some dodgy connections on my motherboard - it just wouldn't boot with it jammed in like that, and seems like it actually needs to be leaning the other way to work. So to get it working my motherboard isn't screwed in and I've shifted it sideways to give more space. I've wedged some bike handlebar tape over the standoffs to avoid shorts. As well as obviously not being very secure this though means the lid won't go on properly.

Dynamo mini + b85i;
I get weird behaviour at shutdown whereby the cpu fan keeps running, and more annoyingly if then restarting no usb devices work. If I power off at the wall and startup from cold though all is good. It's been confirmed there's some odd voltage coming off the motherboard and there will be a fix included in future units to address this. It's obviously a bit annoying but easy enough to live with for now.

Dynamo mini power;
With my 4790 at 1V and 3.9GHz I need to have my 1060 set at around 75% power limit to avoid resets. Based on the Tom's Hardware review I have a suspicion that the EVGA SC model may be a bad match as they found it had relatively high peak power.
www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-graphics-card-roundup,review-33833-4.html
I don't consider this a real problem however as I would have tuned it down for quietness anyway.

Next steps;
Still deciding... I'm thinking I could go with a hdplex 400W dc-atx which should resolve the current issues. Or I go with a ryzen 2 build in a couple of months or so.

Quick update on my build... to resolve the compatibility issues I decided to trade sideways and am now running an Asus b150i with an i5 6500. So a bit of a downgrade in cpu but at least I get led's now so all is good ;) Also now moved house so it's no longer stuck in a unit and is taking pride of place and looking awesome.

Initially a little disappointed I can't max the turbo like I could previously so 3.3Ghz instead of 4Ghz feels like a pretty big drop. Made up for by the difference in power though, with the 4790 (with an undervolt) I had my 1060 at 75% power, with the 6500 it can run 100% no problem. I just need to stop looking at benchmarks and play some games as sure the cpu is really enough for me - so need to hold off the urge to try and grab a 7700 or something.

One thing I may try now is whether some small fans can help with gpu temps as it's still a bit louder than I'd really like (particularly as the new place is quieter than the last so it's now more noticeable!)

Another question now is whether to upgrade to an nvme drive, still not really sure if it would be a noticeable upgrade from my fairly low end sata ssd.

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
Has anyone been having ground loop issues when using a C8 modded S4M build with a standard monitor that is powered through an internal power supply with a C14 connector?

Winston

Cable Smoosher
Jan 20, 2018
Have you had problems with it coming loose during use? Mine seems like it is unlikely to budge unless the computer is dropped or something. However, I acquired some thermally conductive transfer tape at the suggestion of another poster in this thread and I will use it if I the HDplex becomes dislodged: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ITLKQIC/?tag=theminutiae-20
I don't move the case often but when I do I can hear it knocking against the inside of the front panel. The Skywires do help push the HDPLEX against the panel but there is still some give. If I widen the Skywires to increase the force against the panels, then it becomes very difficult to insert the RAM sticks. I spent a lot of time on this to make it fit the best so that's why I believe there is room for improvement.

Winston

Cable Smoosher
Jan 20, 2018
It's arguably the most elegant solution, no screws sticking out anywhere, no extra effort to mount, no dealing with tape or velcro to take it out.
And as for how secure it is I've found it to have zero room for movement when using the Skywire cables. It's got less room for movement than I do when I wear my 10 year old suit.
It looks like the experience is not consistent from build to build. I would prefer screw mounting to the inside of the case. The screws would not have to stick out. That would be the most secure and consistent.

D

DelUser6216

Where can I get the “Extras” and “Motherboard or Power Supply” screws that are the underdog of the S4M? I hope it isn’t black market/"from love with josh" and that I could get it off of Amazon.

my bag exploded

Last edited by a moderator:

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I have a question:
Zotac 1080 mini and Gigabyte 1080 mini. Which one is better for S4M?
Thanks!
I have not owned the Gigabyte 1080 mini and can’t attest to the experience of owning that card but I had a Zotac 1080 Mini and outside being a little loud the card cooled and performed fine in the S4M.

However, for future compatibility/flexibility I would recommend getting the Gigabyte model. The GTX 11XX series is supposed to come out in a couple of months so waiting it out is also an option.

Reactions: Derek and kulbida

Derek

Efficiency Noob
May 7, 2018
I have not owned the Gigabyte 1080 mini and can’t attest to the experience of owning that card but I had a Zotac 1080 Mini and outside being a little loud the card cooled and performed fine in the S4M.

However, for future compatibility/flexibility I would recommend getting the Gigabyte model. The GTX 11XX series is supposed to come out in a couple of months so waiting it out is also an option.
Thanks! I accidentally ordered two of them but couldn’t cancel one. They’re gonna be delivered tomorrow. I’m still confused between two of them because I like the look of Zotac but I also like the small size of Giga. Anyway, I will return the Zotac one and pick the giga, as you said, for the future. For the next Gtx series, I don’t think they will release the mini version in next few months but next year and I can’t wait that long to own one :)

Reactions: kulbida

Derek

Efficiency Noob
May 7, 2018
This is my build:
MSI Z370i gaming pro carbon ac
Intel Core i7 8700 (non K)
Gskill TridentZ RGB 16Gb(2x8Gb) 3200Mhz
Zotac 1080 mini
M.2 Crucial 1000Gb

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHig

Derek

Efficiency Noob
May 7, 2018
I haven’t done any temps test yet but I cpu and gpu never pass 67 Celsius while playing games like PUBG, Metro last night, shadow of Mordor at 1440p very high setting.
Idle cpu 36-40 celsius, Idle gpu 34 celsius. I think I didn’t apply thermal paste correctly so the temp of cpu is high at idle. I have ordered this one: Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad – Alternative To Thermal Paste/Grease. Hope it will cool the cpu down little bit more

ExplodingWaffle101

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 11, 2018
Hello! Saw this case yesterday as I was looking at mini itx stuff, and, after tinkering a bit in sketchup (which i am a complete noob at) thought it cooould work for a 1050ti powered gaming/streaming pc. Exhibit A:

made this mockup using the sketchup model and this model of the zotac 1050ti mini, which im not sure i scaled right and this pcie example card which was scaled already.
for connecting the capture card, i was thinking a cheese with an m.2 slot with this and maybe this. since the gpu is mounted the wrong way a different pcie extender cable would be needed.
really i just want to know: a) how dumb is this and b) is it possible to fit in the case? thank you in advance!
EDIT: noticed other cards had smaller coolers. i imagine that makes this significantly more plausible, since the pcie bracket needed modding/swapping anyway? still looking for feedback on this, ty ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: doomsdaydexter

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Would G.Skill Flare X work with a low profile cooler like the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4?
Motherboard being used would be ASUS ROG Strix X470-I Gaming :)

kulbida

Average Stuffer
Jan 8, 2018

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Yes, they will fit. The Flare X are listed at 40mm tall while the Trident Z RGB (popular choice that is compatible with the Noctua L9i/L9a) come in at 44mm in height.

If you want the Trident Z RGB there are kits optimized for AMD.
https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view/g-skill-releases-amd-compatible-trident-z-rgb-kits

Cheers mate!
I looked at the Trident Z ones optimized for AMD but they are almost 30% more expensive than the Flare X for the same CL and same clock speeds. Feels like a lot of money just to get RGB... :/

Reactions: kulbida