SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
You seem to be using the X470-i - so just to be on the safe side: you are using one of the Ryzen APUs with integrated graphics?
Otherwise the system won't be able to boot - which might match your definition of "doing nothing".

And is that the 8-Pin EPS plug in the CPU power socket or a 6+2 PCIe? The PCIe should not be able to fit, but the cable looks odd.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Edit. At work on my phone so cleaning up the mess I posted....

Pic 2/3. I believe you have the 6+2 PCIE Cord plugged in to your motherboard 8pin power port.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanook and Tanax

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Thank you everyone for chiming in!

I followed the "official" diagram that Kmpkt himself linked to in his troubleshooting thread: #4
There it appears to be the 6+2 (although it says 4+4 but there is not 4+4 included in either Dynamo Mini nor the Dynamo 360) so that's why I used it. I will try with the other cable that matches the CPU plug!

Gutzy

Caliper Novice
Mar 11, 2018
Can anyone recommend a potential vertical stand for the S4M?
Akin to the Sony PS2 and PS4 vertical stands.

I prefer my S4M in the vertical position, and in its current configuration it's very top heavy.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016

I prefer my S4M in the vertical position, and in its current configuration it's very top heavy.
I ordered a generic adjustable laptop stand for a laptop (e.g branded Jarlink, O Motion, Godstabd, etc). The stand expands up to 70mm, so it should but the S4M. It should be here tomorrow, so I’ll let you know if it works.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Random S4M update:
  • I was trying out a new IC graphite thermal pad, and it seem to work great. I haven’t noticed much temperature difference vs Artic MX-4.
  • I tried the Zalman CNPS2X + Scythe 120slim PWM fan in my S4M, but the delidded 8700K (with multi core enhancement off) was going up to 100c with small FFT in Prime95.
  • I also tried a LP53 heatsink + Noctua 92mm (2500rpm) slim fan, and temps stayed at 80c with Prime95 small FFT. Going to keep this setup for now.

Last edited:

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017

You could try flipping it upside down so the weight is on the bottom instead?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Tanax

Average Stuffer
Jul 7, 2016
Now that I've gotten my build in order and everything is working, I'm thinking of getting some custom sleeved cables with better lengths suited for this case and my specific setup.

Can anyone recommend a good source for getting custom cables?
Preferably one in Europe but at the very least someone that ships to Europe :)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016

Jalink vertical laptop stand. Comes in black silver, and many other colors.

Works fine so far. Apologize for the messy desk.

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
...I could use some help figuring out what the specific name is, for the required power connector that I would need to install in the case, if I use the recommended Dell power brick. It's the standard laptop style receptacle, but can't think of the name.

Does the HDPLEX 400 come with the laptop power receptacle, that I mention above? The part that I would need to install into the case, to hook up the external power brick to?

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
@Josh | NFC I've been having issues with my windows drive(m.2 NVME) that is located on the reverse side of my motherboard keeps overheating and causing my system to crash/bluescreen. Would putting a thermal pad over it so that the thermal pad touches the case and the drive help? I've also considered putting two front fans and changing the bezel to allow airflow in the top.

Reactions: Obelisk

Pestilaence

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 10, 2018
...Would putting a thermal pad over it so that the thermal pad touches the case and the drive help?

I can't imagine that it would hurt, but is the panel for the case right against the drive, or are you talking about the motherboard tray?

Side note, I'm curious which brick power supply is better... @Josh | NFC has recommended the Dell LA330PM160, but on the HDPLEX website, they recommend the DA330PM111 which is the AlienWare one... which is what @Nightblade, and others, have. Is there a difference in performance at all?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
@Josh | NFC I've been having issues with my windows drive(m.2 NVME) that is located on the reverse side of my motherboard keeps overheating and causing my system to crash/bluescreen. Would putting a thermal pad over it so that the thermal pad touches the case and the drive help? I've also considered putting two front fans and changing the bezel to allow airflow in the top.

What temperatures are you getting on that m.2 drive to get it to crash? I've seen 90C+ before on my rear m.2 drive which made it throttle like mad, but it never crashed.

@Pestilaence The M.2 drive is no more than a millimeter from the side panel of the case. As for the power supply question, I don't see a difference, but maybe @Josh | NFC does.

That's way closer than my drive was. I used the EK M.2 heatsink to stop mine throttling, but that's not going to fit in a 1mm gap. if its that close get some thermal pad and see what results you get. Nothing else is likely to fit (unless you remove the heatspreader)