SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
With the HDPlex 160 (and only that, with an internal 160 Watt Brick), you have a power budget of 160 Watts max. The GTX 1060 is very good about remaining at its TDP (120 Watts) in terms of power consumption. 120+65(TDP of your Intel chip, which is generally also about how much it consumes) = 185watts consumed before peripherals like memory, storage, and cooling fans.

Unless you can shave off a fairly significant amount of power draw from your system (which has been done! I don't mean to discourage you!) you'll be really pushing the limits of what the power delivery system can handle here. It can take ~ 200 watt spikes; you shouldn't ride that line constantly.

-edit-

Also, TDP and power draw with Coffeelake seems to vary pretty significantly based on core count, even within the same suggested TDP range (ie 65 watts or 95 watts)

Last edited:
Reactions: Flumper Dinkle

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just because the TDP is the same, doesn't mean the actual power draw is the same.

Reactions: brt02

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Now you have my attention...
Any chance to have a 8700 Non K (Undervolted) with 1060 6GB within a brickless limit?
Please say yes... Please say yes...!!!

Sorry, but you are going to be pushing the brick at 178-190 depending on your 3D app. Without active cooling on the brick, I don't think this is possible. Those draw numbers are from my bench, btw.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Just because the TDP is the same, doesn't mean the actual power draw is the same.
True, but the Toms Hardware article I was looking at indicated the 1060 drew 120 watts of power consistently throughout testing. It's been a few months though so I forgot how they managed to measure that

Thirumal Kumaran

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 22, 2018
Sorry, but you are going to be pushing the brick at 178-190 depending on your 3D app. Without active cooling on the brick, I don't think this is possible. Those draw numbers are from my bench, btw.
Active Cooling.. hmmm.
ok.. Can we mount ANOTHER sky-bracket duo on the top of the graphics card?
So that I can remove the graphics card fan altogether and mount a 120 or 2x92mm fans?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Active Cooling.. hmmm.
ok.. Can we mount ANOTHER sky-bracket duo on the top of the graphics card?
So that I can remove the graphics card fan altogether and mount a 120 or 2x92mm fans?

Well, you would need cooling directly over the power supply and there isn't a way to do it perpendicularly.

As for removing the fans from your GPU and using a skybracket Duo:

tmackerm

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2018
I tested my i5-8400 and EVGA 1060 SC and when running the Heaven benchmark, from the wall I was pulling about 170-185 with peaks around 200. Personally, as much as I'd like to run the HDPLEX 160W AC-DC, it feels like that may be cutting it a little close to its limit, so I am going to stick with the Dell 330W until something a little more powerful is available for a single AC-DC brickless build.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I tested my i5-8400 and EVGA 1060 SC and when running the Heaven benchmark, from the wall I was pulling about 170-185 with peaks around 200. Personally, as much as I'd like to run the HDPLEX 160W AC-DC, it feels like that may be cutting it a little close to its limit, so I am going to stick with the Dell 330W until something a little more powerful is available for a single AC-DC brickless build.
Thankfully HDPlex is coming out with a new brick for internal use. :)

Reactions: TheHig and Obelisk

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

It is good to note that Heaven doesn't come close to stressing your power setup--an early mistake I made. The best way to stress your power brick (or at least the easiest way that works) is to run prime95, then loadup Furmark and hit the burn in button. If it stays up for 60 seconds your good.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 3, 2016
Xbox One S PSUs are a success! Housings had to be modified to fit (custom 3D housings would have cost more then the PSUs themselves so decided just to modify the stock housings)

This setup is powering a Ryzen 1400 and 1060 6gb with ease.

Lupercal

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2017
Xbox One S PSUs are a success! Housings had to be modified to fit (custom 3D housings would have cost more then the PSUs themselves so decided just to modify the stock housings)

This setup is powering a Ryzen 1400 and 1060 6gb with ease.

That is a really cool setup. How exactly are you using the XBone PSUs? One for CPU and one for GPU? Also, how are they plugged in, just one power cord for both or do you have to plug them both in separately?

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 3, 2016
That is a really cool setup. How exactly are you using the XBone PSUs? One for CPU and one for GPU? Also, how are they plugged in, just one power cord for both or do you have to plug them both in separately?

I am using mini box’s Y-PWR to share the load across both PSUs. As for the AC side I have a single C8 connector that both PSUs are wired to. Here is my PSU mod thread with more info!

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dual-internal-xbox-one-s-psus.6849/

Gutzy

Caliper Novice
Mar 11, 2018
Anyone AIO cooled a Ryzen APU in this case? I got to thinking you could mount a 120mm fan AIO on a Skybracket...max the overclock on the GPU & CPU.

I was debating going this route with my build as I'll be running graphics duties solely off Ryzens 2200G APU.

But in trying to future proof the build, an AIO water cooler would have to go eventually once I install a property graphics card. Thus I'm considering a Noctua setup instead

It would be cool to go the water cooled route though.

Reactions: doomsdaydexter

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Anyone AIO cooled a Ryzen APU in this case? I got to thinking you could mount a 120mm fan AIO on a Skybracket...max the overclock on the GPU & CPU.

I did take this into consideration and many AIOs are compatible (though some might be a tight fit with how long their tubes are.

I'll be painfully honest though...120mm AIO performance is pretty weaksauce. If you use a real high pressure fan designed for HRS Radiators like a Fractal Design Venturi or an EK Vardar you can boost up your performance a bit so keep that in mind too.

If you have the $$ build a custom loop, get some right angled fittings, and install a slim fan over your block to cool your motherboard down and get good performance from a copper radiator and strong pump. I haven't quite picked out a pump for this yet...but I'm looking. Most good pumps you will need to move the radiator over a bit too which means a custom mount.