SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Pardon if this has been mentioned previously or is old news. I'm doing a lot of catch up after FINALLY getting to mess with an S4.

I shot off an email to Larry at HDPLEX and he states that they are working on a 57mm width version of the 300w AC-DC. This should drop into the S4 with no sanding required.

--No specific ETA yet but encouraging none the less.

Jumie

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 3, 2018
@Jumie

Get the Dell LA330PM160/0GT1CX from Dell.com and you should be good. You can also do some power tuning on the GPU and CPU but depending on how solid your brick is it might just be better to get the the right one.

Peace

thanks for the input. I cannot buy it from Dell since they aren't able to ship worldwide. but I have solved the problem by playing it on windowed mode 1080p tho my monitor is 1440p, I can live with it as gaming is a second priority after photo/video editing.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
@McTeags is running a 1080 off his, and I have done the same on my test bench, so I'm very confident your 1060 SC will be a breeze.

For anyone interested in this setup I would recommend undervolting the GTX 1080. I can run at stock with an 84W CPU with no issues but undervolting cuts down on heat and noise. I would NOT recommend overclocking the GTX 1080 in this scenario.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Not sure if this is the right place but I have lots of questions, I guess I just start ticking them off

I have a 6950x, nothing else (unless you count oversized eatx bits) and would like to pair with a 1070 - just because that's about as far as I can stretch my wallet.

How feasible is overclocking the cpu?

What's the best cooler for the cpu?

Is a 300w HDplex powerul enough for the 1070 and a deca core?

Is it possible to internally liquid cool the cpu?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Not sure if this is the right place but I have lots of questions, I guess I just start ticking them off

I have a 6950x, nothing else (unless you count oversized eatx bits) and would like to pair with a 1070 - just because that's about as far as I can stretch my wallet.

How feasible is overclocking the cpu?

What's the best cooler for the cpu?

Is a 300w HDplex powerul enough for the 1070 and a deca core?

Is it possible to internally liquid cool the cpu?

You'll need the only motherboard ever made for 2011v3 mini itx:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99E-ITXac/

Step 2 (cooling it)

Reactions: Soul_Est

Rorec

Chassis Packer
Jan 31, 2018

Just installed Windows 10 onto my build. Debating if I should turn this into Hackintosh or not, but will run a few games to test it's resilience first. The build is whisper quiet in idle right now.

MB: ASrock Z370 Fatal1ty mITX
CPU: i7-8700k
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-L9i
GPU: Gigabyte GTX-1080 Mini (Removed from AORUS Gaming Box)
Ram: 16GB DDR4
Power: HD-PLEX 400W + 330W Dell Brick
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
@Rorec I’m so jealous of your quite GTX 1080 Mini. The Zotac GTX 1080 Mini is not quiet... I’m sure it’s way quieter than the 1080 Ti thought. Next gen I’ll wait it out and go for an MSI or Gigabyte variant mini card.

Now you just need a smaller keyboard to go with your smaller case

Rorec

Chassis Packer
Jan 31, 2018
@Rorec I’m so jealous of your quite GTX 1080 Mini. The Zotac GTX 1080 Mini is not quiet... I’m sure it’s way quieter than the 1080 Ti thought. Next gen I’ll wait it out and go for an MSI or Gigabyte variant mini card.

Now you just need a smaller keyboard to go with your smaller case

Originally I thought that OEM fan with the GTX-1080 wouldn't fit, but I realized it was cause the card isn't anchored by an unmoving pci-e slot so I had to bend the riser a little bit more. If you're not using the SSD bracket and opt for m.2 SSD's, you could remove the Zotac from it's casing and fan setup and install 2 slim fans onto the bracket and it should sit just above the copper heat sink.

Reactions: Obelisk and brt02

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Just installed Windows 10 onto my build. Debating if I should turn this into Hackintosh or not, but will run a few games to test it's resilience first. The build is whisper quiet in idle right now.

MB: ASrock Z370 Fatal1ty mITX
CPU: i7-8700k
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-L9i
GPU: Gigabyte GTX-1080 Mini (Removed from AORUS Gaming Box)
Ram: 16GB DDR4
Power: HD-PLEX 400W + 330W Dell Brick
SSD: Samsung 960 Pro

I bought that same gpu. It's still in my old build for now till my psu shows up. the gpu gets very little airflow and faces the motherboard, so temps are worse there than they'll likely be in the s4 mini.
Even with the fan at 100% though, the 1080 is quieter than the noctua 120mm fans next to it. I was amazed. :)

I'm a little sad I can't set the fan to 0% (won't go below 37%), but when it's that quiet, I don't really have room to complain.

I had planned to get the zotac 1080ti mini, but that's not happening in the current environment. Kind of glad I did though since I hear the zotac card is pretty noisy.

Side note: My auros box didn't come with any warranty info, and I couldn't find any online either. I put in a support ticket to ask what the warranty was and if it would cover the card alone if I sold the box. It seems to have the same warranty as the normal cards, but they didn't answer me about selling the box.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Originally I thought that OEM fan with the GTX-1080 wouldn't fit, but I realized it was cause the card isn't anchored by an unmoving pci-e slot so I had to bend the riser a little bit more. If you're not using the SSD bracket and opt for m.2 SSD's, you could remove the Zotac from it's casing and fan setup and install 2 slim fans onto the bracket and it should sit just above the copper heat sink.

Ah, there was a post on this forum from someone who had issues with the fan on the gigabyte card fouling on the case. That's what put me off buying the Aorus box. Good to know that there is a fix for that.

I've replaced the Zotac fans and shroud with a pair of Noctua nf-a9x14 which I have zip-tied to the stock heatsink and plugged into the second fan header on my motherboard.

Upsides

Much quieter (near silent at idle and much quieter at full speed)

Downsides

CPU temps go up about 5C at load as not all the air is exhausted out of the case (no shroud to direct airflow)
Some people have reported an increase in GPU temperatures as well under load, but only by a few degrees IIRC
No ability to set fan speed vs GPU temperature - might be able to get around this by using a 3pin to 4pin adapter and plugging the noctua fans into the fan header on the GPU.

I might be able to find ways around some (if not all) of these issues and if I do, I will share. I'm still working on getting this build setup the way I want it...

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
@brt02 i was not able to disconnect the wires for the LED or fans on the Zotac GTX 1080 mini without having to either remove the heat sink or cut the wires. How did you go about removing the fans and fanshroud on your GPU?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
@brt02 i was not able to disconnect the wires for the LED or fans on the Zotac GTX 1080 mini without having to either remove the heat sink or cut the wires. How did you go about removing the fans and fanshroud on your GPU?

You gave to take it entirely apart and repaste the gpu

Yep, take off all the screws on the back of the card and pull the heatsink off and you'll have access to the plugs for the fans and LEDs. The shroud and fans can be taken off from the top, 3 screws near the middle of each fan and 4 screws for the shroud, 2 each on the top snd bottom edges.

Reactions: Flumper Dinkle

Flumper Dinkle

Trash Compacter
Feb 26, 2018
Ah, there was a post on this forum from someone who had issues with the fan on the gigabyte card fouling on the case. That's what put me off buying the Aorus box. Good to know that there is a fix for that.

I've replaced the Zotac fans and shroud with a pair of Noctua nf-a9x14 which I have zip-tied to the stock heatsink and plugged into the second fan header on my motherboard.

Upsides

Much quieter (near silent at idle and much quieter at full speed)

Downsides

CPU temps go up about 5C at load as not all the air is exhausted out of the case (no shroud to direct airflow)
Some people have reported an increase in GPU temperatures as well under load, but only by a few degrees IIRC
No ability to set fan speed vs GPU temperature - might be able to get around this by using a 3pin to 4pin adapter and plugging the noctua fans into the fan header on the GPU.

I might be able to find ways around some (if not all) of these issues and if I do, I will share. I'm still working on getting this build setup the way I want it...
Can confirm all of these points. I have recently used the same Noctua fans on the skybracket duo instead of cable tying. Fans are near silent at idle (37%, minimum allowed without BIOS mod) and much much quieter at full synthetic and gaming load. I went down the route of plugging the fans into the gpu header using this handy wee adapter and the included Noctua Y-splitter.
My GPU is running mildy hotter by around 2-3C but that's nothing compared to the noise reduction in my opinion.
I also undervolted the GPU to try and help with thermals/noise levels. Here's what I ended up with, ambient is 20C but I've shown both idle and load temps for a delta of 35C.

Reactions: Soul_Est and brt02