SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Gutzy

Caliper Novice
Mar 11, 2018
Neither the Asus X370 nor the B350 have video out, they are not designed for the Ryzen APU.

Right, glad I caught it early. The Asrock Fatal1ty x370 itx has 2xHDMI ports fortunately, so I will be going with that.

Will I have any issues overclocking the R3 2200G APU considering the use of HDPLEx 160W adapter?

Vcaps26

Caliper Novice
Jan 24, 2018
For those of you who have or have not yet worked directly with @Josh | NFC, I want to give Josh the shout out that he deserves.

From day 1, he has by far been the most sincere, customer-centric individual I have ever met (virtually, at least). Over the past few months, I've ordered several items through both the NFC website, and SFFLab. Any time I've experienced logistic issues regarding shipping and USPS, he stood by my side and made sure I received my packages.

I will post a more detailed build log when I get a chance in the upcoming weeks, but here are a few shots of my system (Shots from my iPhone, not hi-res by any means --- current setup: Silver on Silver, with white silver aluminum switch), that have several custom pieces, with the help of Josh's handy work! I couldn't be happier, and look forward to seeing future builds that are posted to this forum.

Do yourself a favor, don't hesitate and purchase the NFC Skyreach 4 Mini. I've been building custom systems for over 15 years and this case is by far the easiest case to work in. The refined craftsmanship is impeccable and is very well laid out. Thermals are surprisingly good via CPU intensive workloads/ gaming (never top 60C on my undervolted 8700 CPU w/ LP53 cooler, and Zotac 1080 mini GPU -- all on an Asrock z370 gaming mini ITX -- NO mobo modding needed BTW).

Cheers!

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
From day 1, he has by far been the most sincere, customer-centric individual I have ever met (virtually, at least). Over the past few months, I've ordered several items through both the NFC website, and SFFLab. Any time I've experienced logistic issues regarding shipping and USPS, he stood by my side and made sure I received my packages.

+1

Amazing human being

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 3, 2016
Looking like I will be waiting tell next Monday for my order to ship. In the mean time I pulled the .skp file Josh uploaded. It is going to be a tight fit but I believe with some custom 3D printed housings that my Xbox One S PSUs will fit! Plan to upgrade them a bit as well with thicker aluminum bar stock top and bottom to serve as heat dissipation. Should be far better then the sheet metal it currently has. I plan to incorporate S4M specific mounting in my housings and upload the 3D files here so if others want to use these PSUs in this case they can with ease!

Flumper Dinkle

Trash Compacter
Feb 26, 2018
Hello again thread, I have finally got my case panels back from the powder coaters (done in satin black) so it's time for the obligatory pictures! Also included are some images of the skybracket duo being used to hold 2 off 92mm Noctua fans for anyone interested in trying something similar. Also rocking Josh's very sexy conical feet from his store as I do love a little splash of silver, just not too much.

System specs are:
CPU - i5-6600K (-0.065 voltage offset, turbo off, 3.5Ghz)
Cooler - Noctua NH-L9i
Mobo - Asrock Z170 Gaming ITX/ac
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 (3000 OC)
Storage - NVMe Samsung 950 Pro
GPU - Zotac GTX 1080 Mini undervolted as per my previous post (edit: full disclosure, these temps were with the case vertical and I've yet to have a shot with it horizontal, fully expecting temps or fan speed to go up a few degrees)
PSU - HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX & Dell 330W AC-DC Brick

Would never have thought it was possible to fit a system this powerful into such a small space 2 years ago and it's thanks to all the people on this forum being super helpful to each other! It's safe to say I'm a SFF full convert and I look forward to sharing more builds with you all in the future

Gutzy

Caliper Novice
Mar 11, 2018
Curious if anyone thinks this would work, and potentially allow for an HDplex 300W internal AC-DC?
Basically drilling another mounting hole that woulld allow for the s4m to be widened or flared
Both ends of the case would receive the same customization of course.

apologies for the low effort MS paint concept lol

kulbida

Average Stuffer
Jan 8, 2018
Curious if anyone thinks this would work, and potentially allow for an HDplex 300W internal AC-DC?
Basically drilling another mounting hole that woulld allow for the s4m to be widened or flared

apologies for the low effort MS paint concept

That would likely be possible if you are talking about using a die for the internal chassis and then spacing the side panels out. You would have gaps at the top/bottom, though.

Edit: someone previously posted about a 300w internal AC/DC fitting with some sanding to the PSU housing. It’s somewhere in this thread.

Last edited:

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018

An hour with the orbital sander later. . HDPLEX 300W AC-DC unit fits. Bonus: because the fit is so tight, both removable panels act as heatsinks. Seems pretty useful cause the case gets warm, even when idle.

Slight modification to IEC C6 connector and I have 3 prong power input. Also included a switch in the round hole to turn on and off the power switch lighting.

That would likely be possible if you are talking about using a die for the internal chassis and then spacing the side panels out. You would have gaps at the top/bottom, though.

Edit: someone previously posted about a 300w internal AC/DC fitting with some sanding to the PSU housing. It’s somewhere in this thread.

Yep, have that post bookmarked, I would go down the sanding route too. Much quicker and easier than modding the case

Reactions: m.trix

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
@McTeags do you have any pictures of your setup with the HDPLEX 300W AC-DC and 1080?

Disclaimer: This is a special prototype from when Josh was working on the S4M and he drafted me to test it and I supported him with buying one. They are not for sale and he won't be making more.

I'll be doing a build log in a bit. I'll keep you guys posted!

Edit: Photo fixed.

Last edited:

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018

Disclaimer: This is a special prototype from when Josh was working on the S4M and he drafted me to test it and I supported him with buying one. They are not for sale and he won't be making more.

I'll be doing a build log in a bit. I'll keep you guys posted!
Image cannot be displayed.

Reactions: McTeags

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018

apologies for the low effort MS paint concept lol
Done it. And it allows for better cooling. But I didn't like how if I picked it up, I'd be bending the side panels quite significantly.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Done it. And it allows for better cooling. But I didn't like how if I picked it up, I'd be bending the side panels quite significantly.

@Kmpkt suggested that I add these holes next run. The idea is that with a new 3D bezel and some printed strips you could make a “fat boy” kit for the S4M.

I don’t mind adding more non-visible holes if it helps modders. The question is how much spacing.

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
Is there a temps comparison somewhere of the L9i vs. LP53 vs. LP53 with the fan replaced with A9x14, etc. for the S4M? I'd love to know what the most optimal setup for keeping CPU temps to a minimum is.

Reactions: Obelisk

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017