SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

doomsdaydexter

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2017
Planning on a Ryzen APU build although might throw a 1060 mini in there.

If I just use the APU will there be any issues with stuff staying inside. I know for example that you don't bolt the HD Plex PSU to anything. Will be nvme m.2 boot plus single SSD.

Also are those black side panels coming back?

Reactions: Biowarejak

rsjo

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2016

Lupercal

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2017
Planning on a Ryzen APU build although might throw a 1060 mini in there.

If I just use the APU will there be any issues with stuff staying inside. I know for example that you don't bolt the HD Plex PSU to anything. Will be nvme m.2 boot plus single SSD.

I'm finishing up my brickless Ryzen 5 2400g build. Everything fits inside with tons of room to spare.

I went with an HDPlex 160 ac-dc + Dynamo mini dc-atx. The HDPlex attaches to the bottom, inside the case, and the Dynamo Mini just plugs directly into the ATX connector on the motherboard.

And I think, with only a little tweaking, I could drop a 1060 in my system.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017

I'm making a wire management video as we speak, but like most my tutorials it probably will go missing :)

I'm gonna need that video @Josh | NFC

I'd also like some suggestions on managing these wires, although I think it looks okay as it is. I plan to add a fan or two to the skybracket duo at some point(maybe when I upgrade the graphics card)

gdourado

Chassis Packer
Aug 10, 2017
Hello, how are you?
I am very interested in buying a skyreach 4 mini but I have some questions.
1) is there any store where I can get the case in the EU? I am from Portugal and customs here are stupidly expensive.
2) In the EU, where can I get a DC-DC 400w psu with the dell 330w brick?

Thank you,
Best regards.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
1) is there any store where I can get the case in the EU? I am from Portugal and customs here are stupidly expensive.

I don't believe that any case resellers in the EU have picked up the S4M yet. You're likely going to have to pay the taxes for it to come from Taiwan like everyone else :(

I believe you can get an HDPlex 400W DC-ATX via their warehouse in Germany which means you would potentially avoid some of the import taxes. According to their website it is currently in stock there:

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

Hope this helps.

gdourado

Chassis Packer
Aug 10, 2017
I don't believe that any case resellers in the EU have picked up the S4M yet. You're likely going to have to pay the taxes for it to come from Taiwan like everyone else :(

I believe you can get an HDPlex 400W DC-ATX via their warehouse in Germany which means you would potentially avoid some of the import taxes. According to their website it is currently in stock there:

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

Hope this helps.

Hello,
Thank you for your reply.
I am used to build pc’s, but never used such psu.
Always standard atx psu.
If I order the hdplex from the link you provided, do I also need to add a HDPLEX NanoATX Combo?
And then I also have to buy a dell 330w power brick, right?

Cheers!

Reactions: doomsdaydexter

doomsdaydexter

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2017
Hello,
Thank you for your reply.
I am used to build pc’s, but never used such psu.
Always standard atx psu.
If I order the hdplex from the link you provided, do I also need to add a HDPLEX NanoATX Combo?
And then I also have to buy a dell 330w power brick, right?

Cheers!
Might be a good idea to have an explaination of what each part is / does and which ones you need for the non electronic engineer on the hdplex + sff shop website. It's not at all clear if you have only previously bolted an ATX / SFX cube inside a case. Also some of the accessories need a brief description / explaination, understanding what they do depends on you having watched a 20 minute YT video to have any kind of clue.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Might be a good idea to have an explaination of what each part is / does and which ones you need for the non electronic engineer on the hdplex + sff shop website. It's not at all clear if you have only previously bolted an ATX / SFX cube inside a case. Also some of the accessories need a brief description / explaination, understanding what they do depends on you having watched a 20 minute YT video to have any kind of clue.

Hello, Dexter. I assume this is directed at me.

I'm available six days a week, 11 hours a day by email to answer any and all questions. I have lots of information on my website, including example builds with spreadsheets to every part needed that goes in. I'm constantly adding videos to cover every aspect of how the MINI works, and also doing some "fun" ones where I do mods and explain how the parts work.

I do want to constantly improve and I definitely want to be more clear and give customers better information. I need specific help on this--like where exactly this info should be posted. This way I can go to Dan and Joshua from SFFLAB and be like, hey, can we add a link exactly here?

But if you want a fast answer, alls you gotta do is email me. I spend at least four hours every day answering emails, and I am happy to.

Peace!

doomsdaydexter

Chassis Packer
Aug 27, 2017
Hello, Dexter. I assume this is directed at me.

I'm available six days a week, 11 hours a day by email to answer any and all questions. I have lots of information on my website, including example builds with spreadsheets to every part needed that goes in. I'm constantly adding videos to cover every aspect of how the MINI works, and also doing some "fun" ones where I do mods and explain how the parts work.

I do want to constantly improve and I definitely want to be more clear and give customers better information. I need specific help on this--like where exactly this info should be posted. This way I can go to Dan and Joshua from SFFLAB and be like, hey, can we add a link exactly here?

But if you want a fast answer, alls you gotta do is email me. I spend at least four hours every day answering emails, and I am happy to.

Peace!

Cool broheim. Appreciate all your efforts. Not meant to be terse. I'll email some suggestions for links / descriptions this week.

DD

tmackerm

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2018
Has anybody successfully installed the HDPlex Internal 300W AC-DC inside the mini 4?

An hour with the orbital sander later. . HDPLEX 300W AC-DC unit fits. Bonus: because the fit is so tight, both removable panels act as heatsinks. Seems pretty useful cause the case gets warm, even when idle.

Slight modification to IEC C6 connector and I have 3 prong power input. Also included a switch in the round hole to turn on and off the power switch lighting.

This looks very promising! Has anyone else tried using the HDPLEX 300W AC-DC with something like the EVGA 1060 SC? I am tempted to order one and take my belt sander to it like @friendswithben did. It appears that you only need to remove 2-3mm of material for it to fit. Anyone see any issues with trying this? Would removing that amount of material negatively impact the cooling?

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I’m very interested in getting the 300w shoehorned in the S4 too.

I’m also wondering if using it with the HdPlex 160 dc is fine with a 1060 vs combined with the plex400 pictured above.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
This looks very promising! Has anyone else tried using the HDPLEX 300W AC-DC with something like the EVGA 1060 SC? I am tempted to order one and take my belt sander to it like @friendswithben did. It appears that you only need to remove 2-3mm of material for it to fit. Anyone see any issues with trying this? Would removing that amount of material negatively impact the cooling?

@McTeags is running a 1080 off his, and I have done the same on my test bench, so I'm very confident your 1060 SC will be a breeze.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Hello all, So I have built my S4 mini with ryzen 5 1600 on asrock ab350 mobo. I got zotac 1070ti mini around msrp. Powered using hdplex 400 and Dell brick.
Installation was easy even on my first time building itx platform. Cpu temp on idle is around 27-41c, while the gpu hang around 39-45. The problem so far was when I play PUBG, I have several instance where my S4 suddenly dead while in game, not in the lobby. I try to turn it on again but no luck until I had to unplug and replug the brick again.
Any idea how that could happened?
Obligatory pics

I remember having this problem with my GTX 970. I was using the Dell PA-9E (Remember those guys?) and I thought it wasn't providing enough juice, so I got a Firebird 350W brick. But the strange thing is that the problem still didn't go away, not until I replaced the GPU with a new one. Never had the problem since.

Flumper Dinkle

Trash Compacter
Feb 26, 2018

This mig have already been answered but I can't find a firm answer in this thread:

How do I get an all black S4M? Is my only option at this point to pick up an S4M in Silver and then order black panel side kit https://www.sfflab.com/collections/parts/products/nfc_s4m_panels?variant=2255300886537 ?

I already have an S4M in Silver but ideally id like to keep that and get an all black if possible.
Guys from what I understand previously is that the black side panels on sfflab were a limited run. You should look around for a local powder coaters as I have had mine coated for less than the cost of the new standalone black panels. They will also give you more options such as a matte or glossy finish or even a sparkle coat. Plus they usually have more colours than you could imagine.
I'm due to pick mine up in the next couple of days and I plan on posting pictures once I have them back on the case.
You can order the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX PSU from the HDPLEX website. They have stock in Germany (so no customs charges) and shipping is free!
You will need to buy the Dell 330W brick separately. I got mine on amazon for GBP£90 but I've heard of a few unlucky people on here getting bricks that don't provide the stated power unless they buy them from Dell. Mine seems to be working correctly so far under synthetic and gaming loads, however I have undervolted both my CPU and GPU

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I remember having this problem with my GTX 970. I was using the Dell PA-9E (Remember those guys?) and I thought it wasn't providing enough juice, so I got a Firebird 350W brick. But the strange thing is that the problem still didn't go away, not until I replaced the GPU with a new one. Never had the problem since.

@Jumie

Get the Dell LA330PM160/0GT1CX from Dell.com and you should be good. You can also do some power tuning on the GPU and CPU but depending on how solid your brick is it might just be better to get the the right one.

Peace

napptr

Chassis Packer
Mar 7, 2018
Here's a couple of noob questions for you all, but I've tried searching for the answers.

I'm totally new to truly small SFF cases and I don't understand the way the PSUs that are recommended for the S4 mini work. So far I understand that:

-For those uncomfortable working with open-case PSUs, the max internal PSU wattage is about 160.
-A simple external brick psu solution is a dell brick + an HD plex PSU.

What I don't understand:

-How do you connect the dell brick to the HD plex 400 watt internal PSU?
-Why do some PSUs need the brick? What are the differences between these PSUs and those that do not require the brick?

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask these questions. Thanks for your help.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Here's a couple of noob questions for you all, but I've tried searching for the answers.

I'm totally new to truly small SFF cases and I don't understand the way the PSUs that are recommended for the S4 mini work. So far I understand that:

-For those uncomfortable working with open-case PSUs, the max internal PSU wattage is about 160.
-A simple external brick psu solution is a dell brick + an HD plex PSU.

What I don't understand:

-How do you connect the dell brick to the HD plex 400 watt internal PSU?
-Why do some PSUs need the brick? What are the differences between these PSUs and those that do not require the brick?

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask these questions. Thanks for your help.

Hello, napptr.

1st grade level TL;DR:

The key is to look and see if the power supply is labeled DC-DC or AC-DC. You need both.

------------Step 1: AC-DC----------------

AC power is what comes out of your wall. Computer electronics run (and batteries) run off DC power.

You need to convert the AC that comes out of your wall to DC before your computer can use it.

This is accomplished with a AC-DC power supply.

------------Step 2: DC-DC------------------

Once you have DC power you need to get it to your PC components. Computers have lots of different plugs and voltages. You need a DC-DC power supply to handle the task of getting every part their correct voltage and power.

-----------Step 3: Why you are confused--------------

Think of a standard ATX power supply that you are used to as two power supplies in one. It is a AC-DC "converter", and a DC-DC "distributor". You plug in your giant ATX power supply into the wall, it converts the voltage to DC, and then it separates the the DC voltages into 12v, -12v, 3.3, and 5v and distributes it to each part in your PC.

-----------Step 4: Divide and Conquer-------------------

The MINI seeks to save space by chopping an ATX power supply in half. Outside of the case you have your AC-DC power supply or "power brick" and inside the case you have your DC-DC power supply (Dynamo Mini 200 DC-DC, HDPLEX 400 DC-DC, Pico 160 XT DC-DC, G-Unique DC-DC).

The theory here is that this saves space with the current PSU technology we have.

-----------Step 5: The exception to the rule--------------

The S4 MINI phenomenon has spurred progression in the development of compact AC-DC power supplies. Think of these as small power bricks that you can fit inside the case. Examples are the HDPLEX 160 AC-DC, and HDPLEX 300 AC-DC. You still need a DC-DC power supply so you can power your individual parts.

-------------Step 6: These aren't really steps anymore are they?--------------

You can post in @Kmpkt subforum as he makes power supplies for the MINI. I'll let him explain them.

On my website is a page dedicated to build sheets. These inventory every part needed for a MINI build. Noone ever visits this page on my website, according to statistics, but I think it is helpful:

http://nfc-systems.com/boms

I have too many videos on this subject to count, and so does my friend Jay at @Tek Everything so check out the videos if you are still confused.

Last edited: