SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Ai Tweaker. Hit F7 on the main screen. Should be there.

Here's a pic I found on google.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
So I did it. I got the guts to go into my Asus ROG Strix Z370-i bios and make some changes. It was factory stock all this time.

Following this post from Ceski, I made the value changes to be exactly like those in his table.
My initial Idle was hovering around 39C. But after the changes, it is now idling at 35C. I'm so surprised that it's like instant magic.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/s4-mini-classic-s4m-c.96/page-209#post-68531

Then I downloaded Prime95 26.6 and ran whatever the default stress test was (I don't know how this program works- I just pressed "OK" and let it go). I opened up HWMonitor and saw my temps (max) all the way up to 77C after 10 minutes. It got pretty toasty in there!

I'm running an 8700k that been delided with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. I feel like I lost the silicon lottery.
I'm on an LP53 heatsink with the 2500RPM fan off an NH-L9i.

I don't know how to tune bios/overclock/etc.
If anyone has any Bios suggestions that can help improve thermals, let me know.

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
So I did it. I got the guts to go into my Asus ROG Strix Z370-i bios and make some changes. It was factory stock all this time.

Following this post from Ceski, I made the value changes to be exactly like those in his table.
My initial Idle was hovering around 39C. But after the changes, it is now idling at 35C. I'm so surprised that it's like instant magic.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/s4-mini-classic-s4m-c.96/page-209#post-68531

Then I downloaded Prime95 26.6 and ran whatever the default stress test was (I don't know how this program works- I just pressed "OK" and let it go). I opened up HWMonitor and saw my temps (max) all the way up to 77C after 10 minutes. It got pretty toasty in there!

I'm running an 8700k that been delided with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. I feel like I lost the silicon lottery.

I don't know how to tune bios/overclock/etc.
If anyone has any Bios suggestions that can help improve thermals, let me know.
You need to undervolt, thats where the real magic is

fvicary

Minimal Tinkerer
Jul 25, 2017

Hello my dear friends! The launch of the SKYREACH 4 MINI is around the corner, and I still have so much to do.

The one bit of info I want to give now is that I consider the new S4M not to be a different product than the current S4 MINI but there are so many updates and changes and news that I wanted to go ahead and make a post to keep the "NFC-Systems - S4 Mini" thread less cluttered.

The (very) long introduction video is being uploaded as we speak and should be available late tonight. I will post it here when it finishes. I uploaded the high-definition Sketchup model so you can play with it.

If you have any questions for me after watching the video, or want to start planning your builds and doing creative things regarding the new MINI, please post them here.

Thank you all!

-Peace
SKYREACH 4 MINI WIKI

Hi Josh. thank you for your help in the construction of my Skyreach S4 Mini. its working flawlessly now. I could never have done this without your help. I caused a few problems during my build and I would never have been able to complete it alone. thanks again. Ill be recommending you to my friends. Fred

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
I went to grab one of the power buttons that were in stock on the nfc site (black/blue led) and when I confirmed all the payment/shipping details I got a message telling me there weren't any left :(.

Lol, any eta on more power buttons? Possibly interested in an eta on skywire cables as well. Thanks @Josh | NFC

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Is there any ETA for the black side panels on SFFLAB

I don't think they're going to be coming back. They were apparently a really large expense/hassle and the way manufacturing works a really large number would need to be ordered to do it again. I would suggest hitting your local powder coating shop.

RumRogerz

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 1, 2018
Maybe someone can help me out on this: I have one ordered and am using an HDPLEX 400w PSU for it. I can't find any proper documentation on it; all that I know is that velcro is not recommended due to it's girth. So for anyone here who has a similar set up... how the hell do you mount it? Do you just let it hang there? I don't get it - I must be missing something.

izrek

Cable Smoosher
Feb 23, 2018
I don't think they're going to be coming back. They were apparently a really large expense/hassle and the way manufacturing works a really large number would need to be ordered to do it again. I would suggest hitting your local powder coating shop.

That's too bad, but I understand. Thank you for the clarification :thumb:

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Maybe someone can help me out on this: I have one ordered and am using an HDPLEX 400w PSU for it. I can't find any proper documentation on it; all that I know is that velcro is not recommended due to it's girth. So for anyone here who has a similar set up... how the hell do you mount it? Do you just let it hang there? I don't get it - I must be missing something.
I initially had the same concern as you, but after fitting the motherboard and the gpu card, the hdplex400 has nowhere to go. Infact, it's just crammed in there and doesn't move at all with nothing but the wires holding it in place. No tape, no velcro, no thermal paste, etc. Just it, by itself.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I initially had the same concern as you, but after fitting the motherboard and the gpu card, the hdplex400 has nowhere to go. Infact, it's just crammed in there and doesn't move at all with nothing but the wires holding it in place. No tape, no velcro, no thermal paste, etc. Just it, by itself.

After everything else is installed, install the HDPLEX 400. Just put it in there, and then wire everything up. It's confusing until you do it, but you'll see as others have said in this thread that once you wire it that it has no place to go.

If you feel it needs more securing when you are done, put TINY pieces of double sided tape...VERY tiny pieces on the backside. Like two max. Don't do this before you wire it, or you wont be able to adjust it perfectly.

I'm making a wire management video as we speak, but like most my tutorials it probably will go missing :)

Flumper Dinkle

Trash Compacter
Feb 26, 2018
As others have said it kind of just sits there in place once everything is installed. I've found that's true if you're using the Skywire cables but if you're using the out the box cables it can slide along the front panel. No big deal if you're not moving your PC much

Edit: it would be cool if the backplate on the HDPLEX came with a couple of threaded holes that lined up with the USB/fan mounting holes but this wouldn't be a difficult mod to carry out yourself if you were desperate to mount it and not use tape

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
As others have said it kind of just sits there in place once everything is installed. I've found that's true if you're using the Skywire cables but if you're using the out the box cables it can slide along the front panel. No big deal if you're not moving your PC much

Edit: it would be cool if the backplate on the HDPLEX came with a couple of threaded holes that lined up with the USB/fan mounting holes but this wouldn't be a difficult mod to carry out yourself if you were desperate to mount it and not use tape

Yeah the next revision should have that; askin Larry.

I'm caving on this not because I think it is the best way (I could have easily put mounting holes for the HDPLEX 400 in the MINI) but because I get too many emails asking about it and alot of them turn into arguments on why I should include them. My customers suggest amazing ideas all the time, but I just don't feel like this is something I like...but it is a good compromise to have it built into the PSU and not the chassis so at least we can keep the front clean. :)

If you are reading this I would suggest trying it my way first and then deciding if you need it done another way. Peace :D

Last edited:

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
This was originally a message to a member here, but I'll post this here...

I took some bravery and tried undervolting my 8700K in the skyreach 4 mini after watching a few youtube videos with Intel's XTU.

So with Ceski's settings applied in my bios, I began with a base stress for 15 minutes in xtu.
Stock settings gave me a max temp of 75C.
I started with an undervolting of -0.100V. Immediately, I got a BSOD. I then decided to jump down to -0.075... then to -0.050 (Not a BSOD, but rather an immediate black screen, then an automatic reboot).

But it was not until I went all the way back up to -0.020V where I was no longer getting BSOD of crashes. A 15 min stress test gave me max temps at 72C. Pretty disappointing. Then a 40 minutes stress test killed the system and BSOD. I eventually went back to stock settings. Ugh!

I am so surprised that I cannot push my voltage values AT ALL. I have almost no room to play with. It's almost as if my CPU left the factory at its minimum operating voltage?

HOWEVER, I was wondering if Ceski's values are affecting my undervolting potential?

I'm not quite satisfied, seeing that other members such as Cuban Legend, Ceski and AP2 can achieve MUCH amazing results.

Do I just flat out have bad silicon? Or maybe my settings are conflicting?

Reactions: 1461748123

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

I took some bravery and tried undervolting my 8700K in the skyreach 4 mini after watching a few youtube videos with Intel's XTU.

So with Ceski's settings applied in my bios, I began with a base stress for 15 minutes in xtu.
I started with an undervolting of -0.100V. Immediately, I got a BSOD. I then decided to jump down to -0.075... then to -0.050 (Not a BSOD, but rather an immediate black screen, then an automatic reboot).

But it was not until I went all the way back up to -0.020V where I was no longer getting BSOD of crashes. A 15 min stress test gave me max temps at 72C. Pretty disappointing. Then a 40 minutes stress test killed the system and BSOD. I eventually went back to stock settings. Ugh!

I am so surprised that I cannot push my voltage values AT ALL. I have almost no room to play with. It's almost as if my CPU left the factory at its minimum operating voltage?

HOWEVER, I was wondering if Ceski's values are affecting my undervolting potential?

I'm not quite satisfied, seeing that other members such as Cuban Legend, Ceski and AP2 can achieve MUCH amazing results.

Maybe it is a matter of perspective. Having a CPU leave the factory at its minimum operating voltage isn't a bad thing afterall. We just like better :)

There is bad silicon, and just flat out good silicon. I think yours is just normal. I've long said that I have been impressed with Cuban's chip, although I applied Ceski's settings (because I think many people are going to follow the guide to the letter) just to see what would happen across a couple chips I had and they held pretty well.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018

77C in Prime95 is not far off where I was with my delidded 8700K at stock voltage. So I wouldn't call your chip bad at all.

I remember you asked me to share all the changes I have made in the BIOS. Most of them were shared by Ceski. I'm still making changes to my settings as and when I have time.

Only additions were load line calibration (LLC) =6, CPU voltage offset = -0.06V. LLC will help with your undervolt.

My temperatures are still higher than what Ceski got, even with the undervolt. But the most important thing is that I have an 8700K in an S4 Mini that will run at full speed no problem. And with the temperatures you're getting, so are you.

Last edited: