SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

WindySin

Cable Smoosher
Feb 9, 2018
Hi, your build looks good, but imho the dynamo 360 i think it would go better installed in front of the motherboard where the power switch is (dont know the dimensions of it but hdplex 400 fits no problem) that way your gpu wouldnt blow hot air directly to it and also allows for more space for that air to escape, also judging by the pictures looks like that gpu cable is blocking the cooler rear exhaust.

Some custom cables would be of big help.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'd always hoped to find custom cables but wasnt sure where to get them. That's definitely on the cards though.

The problem with mounting the D360 where the HDPLEX would go is that the included barrell connector isn't quite long enough. With I'd realised about the GPU exhaust though :(

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
Such an awesome case. One of the main things I realized when saw it in person is just how 'right' the proportions are. Got some wooden feet off Taobao that I'm pretty happy with. Had a pretty bad week at work so playing with this over the weekend was just what the doctor ordered ;)
Eventually will be housing my 4790 (or new ryzen build) if my 1060 ever arrives but it's going to have a beastly A8 5545m for a while - looking forward to seeing how useable that is as it was a bargain. Disk is an old sshd that gives suprisingly snappy every day performance.

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
Huge size difference.

I originally tried to make it work. No go.

Is there a guide for setting up the C8 connector? Is it just to snip the C14 end of the cable that comes with the HDPLEX AC-DC and connect the ends to the C8? I'm a total newbie here but I'd love to try it out.

tmackerm

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2018
I've been a lurker here for a while but just ordered the S4M on Friday and can't wait to build it up.

I've got all my parts together except for the power supply. Given my system specs below would you guys recommend the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX and Dell 330W or can I get away with a brickless build using the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX & HDPLEX 160W AC-DC?

CPU: Intel i5-8400
Cooler: Noctua L9i
Motherboard: Asus Strix Z-370-I
RAM: 16GB Kingston
Storage: Samsung 850EVO 500GB x2
GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 SC

Thanks

Reactions: 3lfk1ng

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
What I've picked up is the dc-atx part with hdplex160 / dynamo mini works and is tried and tested. I've gone with that for my 1060 build.
For the ac-dc part there is a new version of the hdplex 160 which should/could be up to it but not really tested yet (any info otherwise?). So maybe if you don't mind undervolting as a worst case would be worth considering.
I'd already ordered the dell 330 but may swap to brickless if it's proven to work well.

SirjekyllTech

Efficiency Noob
New User
Jan 17, 2018
I'm really liking the RGB switch. Mind explaining exactly how you made that work?

Sure thing.

I purchased that button I linked before, a generic PC power switch, and a female to female LED cable. The button has everything labeled. So I soldered the "switch" leads to the cables I cut from the generic power switch. I actually used @josh video on youtube for wiring buttons for the S4M as a guide for this part, but it was pretty simple.

I soldered a 470 ohm 1/4w resistor to each of the "negative" which was the ones labeled R,G and B. I'm not going to go through the math here, but since the button is rated for 6V, and the LED header is 12V you have to limit the current or the LED will pop, in this case 470ohms should be more than enough to keep the current below the manufactures recommended max of 20mA. I cut the LED cable in half and soldered the +12V wire to the voltage + pin and the other 3 wires to the resistors I had soldered onto the the switch, my cable was labeled,but you can easily determine your header configuration from your motherboards manual. I'm not sure if the LED header is standardized so I don't want to say that one specific configuration works for every motherboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lupercal

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
So your button just glows along with the motherboard? The only thing I have against that is while I like the motherboard 'led breathing' while it's off, I don't ever want the power button to do so..

Would be great if it also animates while the system is booting.... one can dream ^^

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
I've been a lurker here for a while but just ordered the S4M on Friday and can't wait to build it up.

I've got all my parts together except for the power supply. Given my system specs below would you guys recommend the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX and Dell 330W or can I get away with a brickless build using the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX & HDPLEX 160W AC-DC?

Thanks

You "might" get it to boot. You might even be able to undervolt the CPU and GPU enough to keep it semi stable. But you'd have to gimp it pretty badly and you'd always be on the edge of it's capabilities with even light gaming. Given that setup, you are looking at 225-275W safe minimum. The CPU & GPU TDPs alone are 65W & 120W respectively. Nevermind the rest of the system + don't forget whatever USB devices you plug in...
120W GPU
65W CPU
6W chipset
5-10W motherboard losses/various chips
3W per DIMM
3W HSF + 3W for any other fans
2W per SATA SSD
9W bare minimum to cover any/all USB powered/charged devices
+ AC-DC losses, PSU efficiency, PSU degradation over time...
It would be MUCH safer to simply go with a 360 Dynamo/HDPLEX 400 and a 300+W AC-DC brick.
Your other option would be to step down to an intel 8500T 35W range CPU + 75W GTX 1050 ti. That would get you within range of the 160W PSU and internal AC-DC unit.
Of course obviously the 8xxxT parts haven't come out yet and even when they do, they will be primarily OEM only and even harder to get ahold of than a launch day 8700K.
Anyone know if there is any collaboration with @Josh | NFC and HDPLEX to cram the next gen 300W AC-DC internal PSU into S4 friendly dimensions?

Reactions: Elerek and damekko

damekko

Trash Compacter
Jan 16, 2018

Thanks

Hi, i have almost the same setup as you, and after calculating wattage the evga 1060 sc its power hungry, i ordered an hd plex 400 because of this...

The gpu needs more wattage than its competitors.

Aleksihvon

Efficiency Noob
Jan 19, 2018
Hi guys,

Question for you. Most of the pics I've seen have a black bezel, but I've seen one or two with a silver (metallic) bezel which I find more appealing. Is that available as an option on the S4 Mini?

Also, which power supply should I get if I'm going to put a 1080 Ti in my build?

it'll depend on what cpu you're getting but lets say you're gonna be using a 65w tdp one then if you're gonna go with the hdplex 400w & dell 330w brick you wont be able to run the system at 100% Cpu & Gpu load simultaneously (which is a very unlike you would be anyway) here's an thread on reddit about a user's experience

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/76r0uy/s4_mini_running_with_amd_ryzen_1700_and_gtx_1080/

However people have been able to run 1080's with the Hdplex & dell brick so with some undervolting you can get the 1080 Ti running at 1080 tdp which (In theory) should allow you to go for the more easily available power solutions.
I'll be testing this myself out as soon as my power button and my custom cables arrive (hopefully this week)

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
Are there any downsides of using 120mm cpu fans compared to 92mm?
I see bigger fans rarely in this thread.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Does anyone know if the Asus ROG strix Z370-i comes with motherboard standoffs? Or is it necessary for them in the skyreach 4 mini? Everywhere I read about installing a motherboard says that you want to have standoffs installed.

Also, what are people doing to prevent static shock when installing their builds?

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Are there any downsides of using 120mm cpu fans compared to 92mm?
I see bigger fans rarely in this thread.
From what I've read (no personal experience yet), while you get more airflow, you lose static pressure. So yeah your chipset might be cooler, but your cpu will be hotter because all the air can just go around the heatsink.

Reactions: kulbida

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Also, what are people doing to prevent static shock when installing their builds?
Maybe I’m being lazy but my desk has a very thick metal base. I just work barefoot and keep at least one foot on the desk base to ground myself.

I have a sit stand desk so I work on my PC standing up.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Bitmadness

Case Bender
Feb 10, 2018
Crazy question: suppose I wanted to skip the gpu and instead fit a full atx board in the chassis - ideally a dual socket board (I know this is madness). Is that possible?