SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

damekko

Trash Compacter
Jan 16, 2018
On my quest of having better temps on my GPU (just an EVGA GTX 1060 SC) and worried that the hot air is getting somewhat trapped from the exhaust on the front of the card (front bezel of the S4Mbezel)

I went and tried putting some 40mm fans on top of the card as intake and exhaust but only got like 1 degree difference so it was a no go.

I then remove carefuly the plastic cover and notice that had a black tape covering like 70% of the rear exhaust of the card so i removed it and also toss away the plastic cover, run benchmarks and what a difference

Previously the card using furmark was getting 72 degrees with the fan running at 67% and making a really annoying whine/wind and like a jet plane sound

Now it gets up and tops at 68 degrees with the fan running at 52% which i believe is very good and i only hear somewhat the air being pushed by the fan but without the whining noise or the jet like sound

Love this case!!!

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
For an upcoming brickless build, I was thinking of getting a GT 1030 for the GPU. All the 1030s seem to be slim profile, and most are passively cooled. Anyone ever tried a passively cooled card in such a small case before? Any thoughts?

Also any ideas where can I get PCI-e brackets to fill up the space if it's a slim profile graphics card?

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
So, I'm nearly done with my S4M, but there's a few things left to do:

1. I have the Zalman CMPS2X cooler and Zalman was supposed to send me an AM4 bracket kit so that I could mount it. They did. However, they sent me the bracket for the wrong model, and for some reason have yet to respond to my recent email(it has already been 3 business days and their policy is a response in 1-2 business days) and calling them just results in a 30 second hold with waiting music and then straight to their voicemail. If they don't respond by the end of this week, I'm just going to buy a different cooler.

2. Still waiting on my power switch and frosted acrylic Bezel from @Josh | NFC . I understand Josh is swamped with orders and delays with materials so I'm trying to be patient.

3. I received my front usb ports, but I haven't installed them as I want to resolve the cpu cooler first.

4, as with #3, I'm waiting till I replace the cpu cooler before I clean up my wire mess with the atx extension cord. I will probably use zip ties and use the holes for the case fans as mounting points for the zip ties.

I've already installed windows 10 and transferred most if not all of the data from my previous computer. Though, still reluctant to use it since there is no power switch and also can't close the case since I'm being forced to use the stock cooler atm.

Last edited:
Reactions: damekko

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So, I'm nearly done with my S4M, but there's a few things left to do:

1. I have the Zalman CMPS2X cooler and Zalman was supposed to send me an AM4 bracket kit so that I could mount it. They did. However, they sent me the bracket for the wrong model, and for some reason have yet to respond to my recent email(it has already been 3 business days and their policy is a response in 1-2 business days) and calling them just results in a 30 second hold with waiting music and then straight to their voicemail. If they don't respond by the end of this week, I'm just going to buy a different cooler.

2. Still waiting on my power switch and frosted acrylic Bezel from @Josh | NFC . I understand Josh is swamped with orders and delays with materials so I'm trying to be patient.

3. I received my front usb ports, but I haven't installed them as I want to resolve the cpu cooler first.

4, as with #3, I'm waiting till I replace the cpu cooler before I clean up my wire mess with the atx extension cord. I will probably use zip ties and use the holes for the case fans as mounting points for the zip ties.

I've already installed windows 10 and transferred most if not all of the data from my previous computer. Though, still reluctant to use it since there is no power switch and also can't close the case since I'm being forced to use the stock cooler atm.

The good news is that I've got more materials in so I'm working hard with my wife to get everything done and packed up.

Thank you for your patience.

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Finally :p

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
For an upcoming brickless build, I was thinking of getting a GT 1030 for the GPU. All the 1030s seem to be slim profile, and most are passively cooled. Anyone ever tried a passively cooled card in such a small case before? Any thoughts?

Also any ideas where can I get PCI-e brackets to fill up the space if it's a slim profile graphics card?

You can buy PCIe slot covers on Amazon.

I don’t have any data to back this up but the S4 Mini is vented very well and I don’t think you would have any problems cooling a GTX 1030. There is also a fanless GTX 1050 Ti from Palit. Although I haven’t calculated the dimensions to see if t would fit in the S4M.

Reactions: damekko

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
Interested to know why a 1030? I guess passive cooling is nice though and with a 30W TDP I would guess it should do fine. Worst case it's small enough you should be able to get a fan around it somewhere.
If for any real gaming then a 1050Ti would be better though (and with the latest HDPLEX 160W AC-DC it seems even a 1060 might be doable).
Otherwise wouldn't it be better to wait for Razen Ridge 2400G, similar to 1030 performance in an APU? Think what you could do with the space!

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
Interested to know why a 1030?

I've just been theorycrafting a potential build for my SO, who doesn't really play many games. The 1030 seems like a card that can game lightly if need be, but otherwise is pretty good for GPU acceleration on video playback, editing and art software which seems like a good choice. From benchmarks it seems it's close to a 750 Ti but much smaller and cooler and uses less power so that I can use a nice CPU without needing to worry about coming close to that 200W max power draw from the brickless combo. For well under 100 bucks in what is a disastrous current state of the GPU market due to crypto, I'm thinking it's not a bad option to consider.

Good observation though, if passive cooling doesn't work out I can easily use the fan bracket to shove some good fans in there since it's only single-slot.

Aleksihvon

Efficiency Noob
Jan 19, 2018
Well finally my mini arrived last friday! would've gone sooner but unfortunately customs delay it by a lot. For my european friends out there it may be wise to fill in a pre-custom form for your item if you need it quickly. I'll be converting my build from an node 202, ryzen 1700 & a 1080 Ti, seeing as people are able to run 1080's with the dell 330 brick i'm confident in getting this running on it. With some undervolting i'm actually able to run the 1080 ti at 1080 tdp. Curious if anyone else tried going down this route themselves? Lastly i recommend everyone wanting to drop their temp's significantly and fine tuning they're oc's by tuning the voltage curve aswell.

Rorec

Chassis Packer
Jan 31, 2018
Ok, just beginning my build on this, I have a pretty unique use case. I'm using this as a small production rig, mainly capturing video through Thunderbolt 3 connected Blackmagic Ultrastudio HD Mini. A separate ATEM production box is handling all the video mixing, so I only have 1 feed coming to my SkyReach Mini 4 box which in turn encodes and sends off to Twitch and what not. CPU load generally sits at 60~70% during encoding + outputting video to 4 sources ( 3 Monitors 1 to a 1x8 splitter). This use case is actually not heavily GPU dependent, hence the 1060.

CPU: i7-8700k
Cooler: Noctua NH-L9I
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Fatality Edition (Only one with thunderbolt 3 available)
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO
GPU: GTX 1060 3GB Mini by EVGA

The only thing I'm stuck on is the power, I'm looking at the HDPLEX 400W but trying to understand the options for the brick. I see there's an option to buy the HDPLEX NanoATX Combo. Is there anyway to stuff this into the SkyReach Mini 4 Case?

Also side question, I remember Josh had posted somewhere we can get power buttons other than his site, can't find that post... was wondering what other options we had for power buttons.

What's everyone using for the USB cut out and any ideas for cool looking 50mm fans?

Reactions: Elerek

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Ok, just beginning my build on this, I have a pretty unique use case. I'm using this as a small production rig, mainly capturing video through Thunderbolt 3 connected Blackmagic Ultrastudio HD Mini. A separate ATEM production box is handling all the video mixing, so I only have 1 feed coming to my SkyReach Mini 4 box which in turn encodes and sends off to Twitch and what not. CPU load generally sits at 60~70% during encoding + outputting video to 4 sources ( 3 Monitors 1 to a 1x8 splitter). This use case is actually not heavily GPU dependent, hence the 1060.

Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Fatality Edition (Only one with thunderbolt 3 available)

The only thing I'm stuck on is the power, I'm looking at the HDPLEX 400W but trying to understand the options for the brick. I see there's an option to buy the HDPLEX NanoATX Combo. Is there anyway to stuff this into the SkyReach Mini 4 Case?

Also side question, I remember Josh had posted somewhere we can get power buttons other than his site, can't find that post... was wondering what other options we had for power buttons.

What's everyone using for the USB cut out and any ideas for cool looking 50mm fans?

I'm quite familiar with building mobile encoding rigs (that's why the S4 exists today actually) so I applaud what you are doing. I personally would switch to a 1050 if you aren't doing the switching in the MINI anyways with a capture card. This would allow you to use the HDPLEX 160 AC/DC unit with the KMPKT Dynamo mini and have a much more portable rig. I'm sure you would have no problem selling your 1060 with this market and making some $$$ too. A 1060 isn't needed at all for even the heaviest video encoding or broadcast software and even the 1050 would be overkill.

The 50mm fan thing wouldn't be possible with the HDPLEX 400, but would be with the Dynamo mini. I put those there because I could and because it might look cool...but I don't believe them to be a useful addition.

Finally, I have a link to on/off switches, materials, and tools in the video where I show you how to make them on my website under the ON/OFF switch listing should you not like the ones I make.

Peace to you and good luck.

damekko

Trash Compacter
Jan 16, 2018

I’ve bought my power switch from amazon, ulinkos brand with an adapter for quick connection.

Also i’ve tried 2x40mm case fans but don’t see too much change in temps only -1 degree celsius putting them as exhaust on the back of the gpu (front bezel)

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
On my quest of having better temps on my GPU (just an EVGA GTX 1060 SC) and worried that the hot air is getting somewhat trapped from the exhaust on the front of the card (front bezel of the S4Mbezel)

I went and tried putting some 40mm fans on top of the card as intake and exhaust but only got like 1 degree difference so it was a no go.

I then remove carefuly the plastic cover and notice that had a black tape covering like 70% of the rear exhaust of the card so i removed it and also toss away the plastic cover, run benchmarks and what a difference

Previously the card using furmark was getting 72 degrees with the fan running at 67% and making a really annoying whine/wind and like a jet plane sound

Now it gets up and tops at 68 degrees with the fan running at 52% which i believe is very good and i only hear somewhat the air being pushed by the fan but without the whining noise or the jet like sound

Love this case!!!

hm, I think it might actually look better like that than with the shroud on it ;)

20legend

Cable Smoosher
Jan 26, 2018
@Josh | NFC
You magnificent sonnova!!! Man, this is everything I hoped, wanted. Installation was easy. I had pre-made some cables. The only thing remaining is a skywire from you (Take your time, man.. I chopped the fuck out of the HDPlex included cable). Need to sleeve a couple more cables.

Specs : Ryzen 7 1800, AsRock X370 ITX board, 32GB memory, Zotac GTX 1060 and thats that! Running OSX.

Here are some pics.

Rorec

Chassis Packer
Jan 31, 2018
I'm quite familiar with building mobile encoding rigs (that's why the S4 exists today actually) so I applaud what you are doing. I personally would switch to a 1050 if you aren't doing the switching in the MINI anyways with a capture card. This would allow you to use the HDPLEX 160 AC/DC unit with the KMPKT Dynamo mini and have a much more portable rig. I'm sure you would have no problem selling your 1060 with this market and making some $$$ too. A 1060 isn't needed at all for even the heaviest video encoding or broadcast software and even the 1050 would be overkill.

The 50mm fan thing wouldn't be possible with the HDPLEX 400, but would be with the Dynamo mini. I put those there because I could and because it might look cool...but I don't believe them to be a useful addition.

Finally, I have a link to on/off switches, materials, and tools in the video where I show you how to make them on my website under the ON/OFF switch listing should you not like the ones I make.

Peace to you and good luck.

I wanted to do the 1050 originally, but i couldn't find one with 4 video ports (the 1060 has 3DP 1 HDMI). I'll do another dig through!