SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Crazy question: suppose I wanted to skip the gpu and instead fit a full atx board in the chassis - ideally a dual socket board (I know this is madness). Is that possible?

It's not crazy, but it's also not possible. Sorry. :(

You can download a 3D model of the chassis in the resources section and also different motherboard templates--this could help you plan your build.

peace

AMv8-1day

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 13, 2017
Or just check out the Kimera Cerberus/Cerberus-X. I'm looking into fitting a dual socket Xeon board into the Cerberus-X. It can fit a SSI-CEB (12 × 10.5 in (305 × 267 mm)) board no prob, and even an SSI-EEB (12 × 13 in (305 × 330 mm)) board depending on other clearance concerns.
Dual socket Xeons, up to 16 DIMM slots, 6+ PCIe x16 slots, all in a sub-20L case.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
This has actually got me thinking that you could put in one of the AsRock MATX boards (9.1" x 8.1") quite easily, have an APU to cover processing and graphics and then do a variety of things with the remaining two PCIe slots including half height cards.

Reactions: cmyk78

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
I smell some experimenting coming along. Sounds fun, might try that myself, when Josh gets more of the other S4 parts back in stock, and after the power switch and C8 I ordered for my first S4 build arrive.

butters1874

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 12, 2018
Anyone has the same problem? Or know how to deal with it? I have built the S4M yesterday and everything works fine, but when I play games, the computer just shut itself and restart. (I can enter the game, but when I click anything in the game it happens, tried both Call of Duty 14 and Hitman 6). My guess is the PSU might not be powerful enough for these hungry hardwares?

Hardware list:
ASUS Z370i
Zotac 1060 mini 6GB
HDPLEX 400w
Dell 330w AC Adapter
Noctua NH-L9I
Core i5-8600k
G.SKILL 16GB 3000MHz

Thanks in advance!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Anyone has the same problem? Or know how to deal with it? I have built the S4M yesterday and everything works fine, but when I play games, the computer just shut itself and restart. (I can enter the game, but when I click anything in the game it happens, tried both Call of Duty 14 and Hitman 6). My guess is the PSU might not be powerful enough for these hungry hardwares?

Hardware list:
ASUS Z370i
Zotac 1060 mini 6GB
HDPLEX 400w
Dell 330w AC Adapter
Noctua NH-L9I
Core i5-8600k
G.SKILL 16GB 3000MHz

Thanks in advance!

At full turbo I would see your system pulling about 212-225w, which is well under what your brick can support. I think you got a bad brick.

The only way to get a good one for sure is to buy the one from Dell:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...h-6-ft-power-cord/apd/332-1432/pc-accessories

Most of us just take a risk though with the cheaper ones as they can be found for half the price.

I have four systems in the office right now with more power hungry components being tested...I don't have Hitman 6 or COD 14 though. I could download one and test them. Which game gives you the most problems, and more details the better?

You could also try some minor voltage tweaks with afterburner and on your CPU.

butters1874

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 12, 2018
At full turbo I would see your system pulling about 212-225w, which is well under what your brick can support. I think you got a bad brick.

Most of us just take a risk though with the cheaper ones as they can be found for half the price.

I have four systems in the office right now with more power hungry components being tested...I don't have Hitman 6 or COD 14 though. I could download one and test them. Which game gives you the most problems, and more details the better?

You could also try some minor voltage tweaks with afterburner and on your CPU.

Thanks Josh for the quick reply. Yeah I got it from Amazon for $99. I think I just return it and buy one from Dell. Thanks again!

mini-itx

Efficiency Noob
Jan 19, 2018

Hardware list:
ASUS Z370i
Zotac 1060 mini 6GB
HDPLEX 400w
Dell 330w AC Adapter
Noctua NH-L9I
Core i5-8600k
G.SKILL 16GB 3000MHz

Thanks in advance!

My hardware list was
z270i strix
i7-7700k (delidded)
16gb ram
gskill tridentz rgb ddr4 3200mhz
noctual l9i
hdplex 400w
dell 330w power brick

baseclock of 4.2ghz turbo boost to 4.5 ghz stock setting.
intitally I thought the skyreach mini case was too compact, hence whenever I played game (dota2 at ultrasetting), the pc would shut itself down too and restart. I thought the pc restarted due to heat issue of the cpu. and the motherboard had shut the pc down to prevent damage to the cpu. But I realise something. If I underclock my 7700k in the bios from "auto" to "sync all core" . change the value of each core to 38 or 39 which mean 3.8 or 3.9 Ghz. The auto shutting down of pc randomly had stopped.

Upon reading your post, I do realised it might be the dell power brick issue and not the heat. Do let me know if your pc restart issue stop after you changed to the official dell power brick purchase from dell.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

butters1874

Minimal Tinkerer
Feb 12, 2018
My hardware list was
z270i strix
i7-7700k (delidded)
16gb ram
gskill tridentz rgb ddr4 3200mhz
noctual l9i
hdplex 400w
dell 330w power brick

baseclock of 4.2ghz turbo boost to 4.5 ghz stock setting.
intitally I thought the skyreach mini case was too compact, hence whenever I played game (dota2 at ultrasetting), the pc would shut itself down too and restart. I thought the pc restarted due to heat issue of the cpu. and the motherboard had shut the pc down to prevent damage to the cpu. But I realise something. If I underclock my 7700k in the bios from "auto" to "sync all core" . change the value of each core to 38 or 39 which mean 3.8 or 3.9 Ghz. The auto shutting down of pc randomly had stopped.

Upon reading your post, I do realised it might be the dell power brick issue and not the heat. Do let me know if your pc restart issue stop after you changed to the official dell power brick purchase from dell.

Will do. Already ordered it. Should get it on Thursday. I thought was the heat causing the problem too at the beginning, then I start the game when everything around 30C, but still the same.

mini-itx

Efficiency Noob
Jan 19, 2018
Will do. Already ordered it. Should get it on Thursday. I thought was the heat causing the problem too at the beginning, then I start the game when everything around 30C, but still the same.

Thank you. I was really surprise as I dont see anyone mentioning this issue around here till I saw your post about this. I am using a zotac mini 1080 though.

DarkZim

Efficiency Noob
Nov 13, 2017
I had that exact same issue with a couple of games!!! After a week of trying everything I could think of, I touched my brick and realized it was very hot, but it on a box on it's side to help dissipate the heat and no more problems.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Nope. ATX is ~240mm front to back and the S4M is 215mm internal depth. At best you could try one of the narrow MATX boards with ITX mounting points.
Or you could get fancy and mount the ATX board outside of the case. Maybe even run wires through your office wall to improve the cooling of each processing unit. Then you could fit a full length GPU in your S4M. Then make a video about it. Upload “Titan V and Threadripper S4M build!!!!”. Everyone will be impressed.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Or you could get fancy and mount the ATX board outside of the case. Maybe even run wires through your office wall to improve the cooling of each processing unit. Then you could fit a full length GPU in your S4M. Then make a video about it. Upload “Titan V and Threadripper S4M build!!!!”. Everyone will be impressed.

So you didn’t like my last video huh? XD

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
Where might I go to ask about the status of my order of a power button and a separate order of a C8 connector?

Last edited:

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Where might I go to ask about the status of my order of a power button and a separate order of a C8 connector?
Curious to know as well. I ordered my power button back in Janurary and I have no idea what the status of the purchase is. No words on processing, shipping, etc.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

Curious to know as well. I ordered my power button back in Janurary and I have no idea what the status of the purchase is. No words on processing, shipping, etc.

Dear dumplinknet and Jotunn,

All you need to do is email me (please include your order number) and I am happy to help. I answer all my customers questions and emails within 24 hours and am happy to provide you updates and personal service.

I don't regularly check this thread as I try to spend my time actually working and not goofing off (key word is try XD), so the best way to get in contact with me is to email me.

Peace

Reactions: Elerek