SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I wanted to do the 1050 originally, but i couldn't find one with 4 video ports (the 1060 has 3DP 1 HDMI). I'll do another dig through!
Ah, yeah...and the Quadro cards can be pricey now.

Well, you might be able to make the 1060 work for your application on the HDPLEX 160 ACDC. A gamer wouldn't, but the loads your system will pull on the GPU will be negligible and with a quick tune you might be golden...you don't have too much to lose to try anyway.

I *THINK* the EVGA 1060 3GB will fit when combined with the HDPLEX 160 AC/DC. I'll check soon. I just don't want people to think I am recommending it for anything other than YOUR specific use case.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
@Josh | NFC
You magnificent sonnova!!! Man, this is everything I hoped, wanted. Installation was easy. I had pre-made some cables. The only thing remaining is a skywire from you (Take your time, man.. I chopped the fuck out of the HDPlex included cable). Need to sleeve a couple more cables.

Specs : Ryzen 7 1800, AsRock X370 ITX board, 32GB memory, Zotac GTX 1060 and thats that! Running OSX.

Here are some pics.
That is beautiful! Wow.

HYPERTiZ

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2018
sorry for potentially necro-ing your comment -
I got the 8700K for its resell value and the ability to run 'stock' & if its still hot down clock it (voltage?).

I get 45-59c (bios & idle) and 65-75c gaming (dark souls 3 for 4 hours - havent tried arma 3 however - disabled turbo since I personally believe 3.8GHz is perfect for me)

--------------

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but why does it have to be a 8700K? I know the itch to have the latest & greatest, but it brings so much variables to the table esp. in a case under 5l --> extra cost, extra heat etc.

I mean if its mainly a gaming build (1080) mentioned you would do fine with any Skylake/Kabylake/Coffeelake variant with a 65W or less TDP.

I cut corners because of budget reasons and also wanted to test things and bought a budget B250i board and Pentium G4620 paired with a 1080. I can not notice it being a dual core in any of my daily computing (granted I don't edit videos or render etc). I can play PUBG in 4K with textures on ultra no AA and render scale toned down a bit with no problems hitting above 100fps while maintaining good visuals.

I thought about upgrading to a 7700k down the line, but now having played around with the Pentium for a month I think I'll wait for better multicore optimisation. At least for 4K gaming which seems to be 100% GPU dependant.

Just my 2 cents :)

ECHO

Trash Compacter
Dec 3, 2016
The refund for my dead RX570 came through, and now I'm looking at the plethora of ITX 1060's out there...can I expect any great differences between the Zotac, EVGA, Gigabyte and MSI coolers? Are there any standouts?

Any assistance is appreciated :)

damekko

Trash Compacter
Jan 16, 2018
The refund for my dead RX570 came through, and now I'm looking at the plethora of ITX 1060's out there...can I expect any great differences between the Zotac, EVGA, Gigabyte and MSI coolers? Are there any standouts?

I would go with the EVGA GTX 1060 SC really good card with good OC potential and great performance / price ratio

Just dont get the normal non SC version because it runs hot, the SC version has an upgraded cooler.

Check some reviews on youtube!

Reactions: ECHO

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017

As @damekko said, the EVGA 1060SC is a great card. That and the MSI Aero seemed to be on top of the pile but the Aero seemed harder to locate.

Reactions: ECHO and damekko

Rorec

Chassis Packer
Jan 31, 2018
Ah, yeah...and the Quadro cards can be pricey now.

Well, you might be able to make the 1060 work for your application on the HDPLEX 160 ACDC. A gamer wouldn't, but the loads your system will pull on the GPU will be negligible and with a quick tune you might be golden...you don't have too much to lose to try anyway.

I *THINK* the EVGA 1060 3GB will fit when combined with the HDPLEX 160 AC/DC. I'll check soon. I just don't want people to think I am recommending it for anything other than YOUR specific use case.

Think I will just play it safe and get the brick on the outside. I checked out the Paladin stuff, love love love it! I was pretty close to doing the exact same build with a Magewell 4x HDMI in there. We use to use a NZXT S340 and literally had everything in the box, but what would happen is that if that system crashed... the whole broadcast goes caput and we'd lose even the recording. So we're breaking out the video mixing and recording to the blackmagic equipment and building this box that's a bit on the lighter side. I think if I were ever to make a all-in-one video rig again... I think the Cerberus and Cerberus X are enticing

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Think I will just play it safe and get the brick on the outside. I checked out the Paladin stuff, love love love it! I was pretty close to doing the exact same build with a Magewell 4x HDMI in there. We use to use a NZXT S340 and literally had everything in the box, but what would happen is that if that system crashed... the whole broadcast goes caput and we'd lose even the recording. So we're breaking out the video mixing and recording to the blackmagic equipment and building this box that's a bit on the lighter side. I think if I were ever to make a all-in-one video rig again... I think the Cerberus and Cerberus X are enticing

Redundancy is king. We had software for the Paladins so you could loop your feed and mirror production so with two units you were ready to rebroadcast in seconds (or less depending on the multibitrate stream switchover). That's the only way to do it professionally imo.

What company do you build these for?

Reactions: Soul_Est and Rorec

Rorec

Chassis Packer
Jan 31, 2018
Redundancy is king. We had software for the Paladins so you could loop your feed and mirror production so with two units you were ready to rebroadcast in seconds (or less depending on the multibitrate stream switchover). That's the only way to do it professionally imo.

What company do you build these for?

We're a small Esports Production and Management company. We get contracts sometimes that requires us to move equipment with limited amount of staff so hence this build out. For our flagship event, we actually have 4-5 streams running at the same time, in which we are usually the secondary broadcast (we bring in about 3-4 other streaming teams, since we have to manage the event as well). Going to be presenting to a bunch of other broadcasters this SkyReach Mini 4 build out and probably a Cerberus AIO build out.

Company link:
https://www.bigblue.gg

Reactions: Soul_Est and ECHO

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
Got everything except the power button and C8 inlet, tested with the C14 that comes with the HDPlex brick and jumping the power button pins. Working great.

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
Not really an electrical person, is there a big difference between C8 and C14 that impacted the power supply cutout design?

WindySin

Cable Smoosher
Feb 9, 2018
Just finished rebuilding my PC into the S4M. Wasnt too bad for a first SFF build. Do have one question for the gurus here though: I've got a lot of PPS sleeve sitting against the top and sides of the KMPKT Dynamo. I'm presuming that won't cause any troubles? I don't have access to custom cabling so this is my ghetto solution.

Anyway, specs:

- Core i7 7700 with Noctua NH-L9i
- Asus H270i
- 16gb Corsair DDR
- Gigabyte GTX 1060 mini
- Kmpkt Dynamo 360+160

I initially thought I'd hit some snags with mounting the Dynamo, but the front bezel has a cutout the exact width of the heat sink, so i just stuck it in there with some thermal pad.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Bitmadness

Case Bender
Feb 10, 2018
Hi guys,

Question for you. Most of the pics I've seen have a black bezel, but I've seen one or two with a silver (metallic) bezel which I find more appealing. Is that available as an option on the S4 Mini?

Also, which power supply should I get if I'm going to put a 1080 Ti in my build?

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
Hi guys,

Question for you. Most of the pics I've seen have a black bezel, but I've seen one or two with a silver (metallic) bezel which I find more appealing. Is that available as an option on the S4 Mini?

Also, which power supply should I get if I'm going to put a 1080 Ti in my build?

Hey.
You can find a silver bezel right here.
To power a TI you would most likely need a 500w+ DC-DC PSU.
KMPKT's dynamo combo would work for that, it's availavle at sfflab.
G-Unique archidaemon would also work.
As for AC-DC you would likely need a lulzbot 500w brick or a eurocom 780w. Also Gury's modded Dell brick might work, but it's getting way too hot when working with huge loads.

Anyways, this video mostly covers S4M-C install specifics, but hopefully you'll get some other useful info.

Reactions: Kmpkt

damekko

Trash Compacter
Jan 16, 2018
Just finished rebuilding my PC into the S4M. Wasnt too bad for a first SFF build. Do have one question for the gurus here though: I've got a lot of PPS sleeve sitting against the top and sides of the KMPKT Dynamo. I'm presuming that won't cause any troubles? I don't have access to custom cabling so this is my ghetto solution.

Anyway, specs:

- Core i7 7700 with Noctua NH-L9i
- Asus H270i
- 16gb Corsair DDR
- Gigabyte GTX 1060 mini
- Kmpkt Dynamo 360+160

I initially thought I'd hit some snags with mounting the Dynamo, but the front bezel has a cutout the exact width of the heat sink, so i just stuck it in there with some thermal pad.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Hi, your build looks good, but imho the dynamo 360 i think it would go better installed in front of the motherboard where the power switch is (dont know the dimensions of it but hdplex 400 fits no problem) that way your gpu wouldnt blow hot air directly to it and also allows for more space for that air to escape, also judging by the pictures looks like that gpu cable is blocking the cooler rear exhaust.

Some custom cables would be of big help.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Got the email for my custom bezel and power switch. It will be here Monday! I'm so excited, Thanks @Josh | NFC !

I got tired of waiting on Zalman to respond, so I just ordered a Noctua L9a-AM4. Won't be buying Zalman products ever again. Their customer support is abysmal.

My CPU cooler will get here on Sunday and I'll do a build log when my power switch and bezel get here on Monday,

Last edited: