SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

mini-itx

Efficiency Noob
Jan 19, 2018
I had always been a fan of Small Form factor pc. When I discovered NFC S4 mini. I know it's gonna be tough to get as well as it doesnt comes with power button, it even use the unusual power supply as well as dell 330w laptop adaptor. However, there's gonna be some sacrifices if you want something portable and small. have owned many mini itx cases but none I could say portable (apart from dan case). Decided to go for Skyreach mini due to it's native support for 1080 zotac mini.

Paid around 435 SGD singapore dollars for HD plex 400w as well as Skyreach mini case (with Shipping). Missed the delivery on the 19 Jan 2018 11.38am. It was mailed back to the post office. whereby I collected it on 20 Jan 3am. The moment I saw the packaging. I was surprise it was so small and light. I even make a comparison with my current build which is the phanteks shift. The case was so well made.

so this is my current setup before I convert it to Skyreach mini setup.

comparison of the packaging. How small it is.

from lianli taiwan?

Still waiting for my power button, dell 330W power brick and noctua L9i to arrive for the Skyreach mini 4 build.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
While we are all waiting for our S4M's, I'm still trying to look for front panel solutions... Can someone look at the skp file and tell me what the dimensions are for the front panel hole?
I'm currently using the ASUS ROG STRIX B350-I Motherboard, which has a USB 3.1 gen 1 header and a USB 2.0 header for front panel ports.

Currently what is on the table for me are these parts:

2 usb 3.0 ports
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PHY0GM/?tag=theminutiae-20

or
1 type c port
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=usb_3.1_header-_-9SIAERN68H8996-_-Product
and
some front panel audio mount(that I have yet to be able to find)

Or

I want to try see if this will fit(with a little modding)?

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-air-740-i-o-panel

kulbida

Average Stuffer
Jan 8, 2018
While we are all waiting for our S4M's, I'm still trying to look for front panel solutions... Can someone look at the skp file and tell me what the dimensions are for the front panel hole?
I'm currently using the ASUS ROG STRIX B350-I Motherboard, which has a USB 3.1 gen 1 header and a USB 2.0 header for front panel ports.

2 usb 3.0 ports

or
1 type c port
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._re=usb_3.1_header-_-9SIAERN68H8996-_-Product
and

Or

I want to try see if this will fit?

Both of the first 2 cables will work with one of Josh’s custom bezels. You can have the holes drilled for the USB connector as well as additional SkySlots for extra ventilation for your GPU.

They are fully customizable and available in multiple flavours over at NFC-systems.com

Or are you looking to modify your stock bezel yourself?

Edit: Type C is incompatible.

Last edited:

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
@kulbida I'm having Josh send me a modified bezel with skyslots and the usb hole.

I'm rather limited in terms of modding tools, so I will be limited to the first two options, probably.

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
Still waiting for my power button, dell 330W power brick and noctua L9i to arrive for the Skyreach mini 4 build.

Where have you ordered the Dell brick from and how much if you don't mind me asking? I'm also in SG, there's a 240W Dell adapter on lazada for S$74 which has me tempted though I guess not original at that price.
Was planning on going for G-unique unit but now thinking about maybe the Dynamo Mini 200 - I believe it's enough for a GTX1060 build, anyone please correct me if wrong. Would probably still prefer the G-unique to give a bit more headroom but the Dynamo might be faster to get hold of and cheaper.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Anyone knows if this vesa mount will work with the skyreach mini. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824971015

I cant exactly picture how that mount works...it looks like a clamp but I can't figure out why there are two VESA brackets. I guess if you were using it as a spacer and putting it on the back of a monitor?

I don't know, but I do know that the SkySlots work with Vesa spacing. You'll need to figure out how to attach the bracket TO the MINI though...it doesn't look like there are any captured nuts on that bracket so you would need to use screws, washers and nuts.

Where have you ordered the Dell brick from and how much if you don't mind me asking? I'm also in SG, there's a 240W Dell adapter on lazada for S$74 which has me tempted though I guess not original at that price.
Was planning on going for G-unique unit but now thinking about maybe the Dynamo Mini 200 - I believe it's enough for a GTX1060 build, anyone please correct me if wrong. Would probably still prefer the G-unique to give a bit more headroom but the Dynamo might be faster to get hold of and cheaper.

I think the Dynamo Mini is fine for a 1060 + 65w CPU build. Just use a good power brick. I still recommend the Dell 330.

2 usb 3.0 ports

or
1 type c port
and

Or

I want to try see if this will fit(with a little modding)?

That USB C port doesn't look like it would work. USB C is much smaller and take notice of where the screw holes are.

I'm not sure if the Sketchup model has the cutout dims...the final cutout is bigger than my CAD anyway with how it ended up being. Its roughly 20x30 and the space of the holes are 30mm apart for each connector mount and 20mm apart from the connectors.

Reactions: Biowarejak

garou81

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2017

The hdplex 400 is going to be a problem, Im going to try and file the locking clip off of the 8 pin motherboard harness

IMHO custom cables are a must here as well

Reactions: Biowarejak

kulbida

Average Stuffer
Jan 8, 2018
Josh | NFC, post: 81955, member: That USB C port doesn't look like it would work. USB C is much smaller and take notice of where the screw holes are..

Josh, aren’t these essentially the same USB internal modules your showed in your video as being compatible with the R4 revision of the S4M? It looks like the mounting points would work with the pre-made holes in the S4M chassis?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Josh, aren’t these essentially the same USB internal modules your showed in your video as being compatible with the R4 revision of the S4M? It looks like the mounting points would work with the pre-made holes in the S4M chassis?

Yes but I made a mistake with the USB C and redacted it. The USB 3 type A ones though work.

mini-itx

Efficiency Noob
Jan 19, 2018

you could order it from amazon.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017

So I tried to take the fans and fan shroud off the Zotac GTX 1080 Mini but both the LED and fan connectors are located right underneath one of the heat pipes. I can’t disconnect them to remove the wires without either cutting the wires or removing the heat sink. Both of which I’m unprepared to do. So I took everything apart only to learn that I’m a pansy and I’m going to put it back together again and live with the noise.

I intend to sell the card one day when I’m done with it.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

So I tried to take the fans and fan shroud off the Zotac GTX 1080 Mini but both the LED and fan connectors are located right underneath one of the heat pipes. I can’t disconnect them to remove the wires without either cutting the wires or removing the heat sink. Both of which I’m unprepared to do. So I took everything apart only to learn that I’m a pansy and I’m going to put it back together again and live with the noise.

I intend to sell the card one day when I’m done with it.
DUDE you are SO CLOSE! You can remove the ENTIRE heatsink, just leave the fans on it at first, by unscrewing 5 or 6 screws on the back of the card, for real. DO IT! I want to see your noise and temp results, have 2 of those fans and I'm waiting to do the same thing as you. :D I havent done it because someone mentioned they didnt get enough of a temp decrease even though the noise decrease was considerable... DO IT PLEASE!

If you do it and you get positive results, I promise I'll get off my but and do it too, and I'll post before and after noise and temp readings, and a detailed how-to. :D

Last edited:

Draughtsman

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2017
@kulbida I'm having Josh send me a modified bezel with skyslots and the usb hole.

I'm rather limited in terms of modding tools, so I will be limited to the first two options, probably.

Just curious about your USB front panel connections, Does the standard location of these in the chassis get obscured by the HDPLEX400 installation located between the chassis rails?