SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hi Josh, I was interested in going brickless with my new S4M, and I was wondering what the C8 connector and soldering would be for? If I have the Dynamo Mini and an HDPLEX 160W AC-DC, don't I just plug the Mini into the mobo and the AC-DC, and then the AC-DC to the wall?

Hello, Kevlar!

Yes, that will work, but the HDPLEX 160 uses a large three pronged (C14) connector, and there is no place to mount that in the MINI.

I'm working to offer cables with latching connectors in my store so noone has to do soldering if they don't want to.

Peace.

Reactions: kulbida

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
Hey there. I was just looking into the sketchup of S4M and thought if there are any 1060/1070 cards small enough to rock with dual HDPLEX AC-DC 160w?
Sounds a bit dangerous, but leaving one PSU just for card could power a 1060 and possibly an underclocked 1070, right?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hey there. I was just looking into the sketchup of S4M and thought if there are any 1060/1070 cards small enough to rock with dual HDPLEX AC-DC 160w?
Sounds a bit dangerous, but leaving one PSU just for card could power a 1060 and possibly an underclocked 1070, right?
You should be able to use the PSUs in conjunction with each other, just need a load-balancing device/merger unit. That way you could use the excess from one to take the load off the other and keep them both within their rating.

Reactions: Untero

Lupercal

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2017
So I would have gotten my S4M yesterday, but USPS tried to deliver it when I wasn't there, so I had to go pick it up today at the post office
Argh, I just got a notice from them doing the same thing, today. Gonna have them try again tomorrow. Otherwise, I probably wont be able to pick it up til friday.
Not that I'm really in any rush. With GPU, RAM, and SSD prices the way they are right now, I'm putting my build plans on pause. :/

Reactions: Biowarejak

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Argh, I just got a notice from them doing the same thing, today. Gonna have them try again tomorrow. Otherwise, I probably wont be able to pick it up til friday.
Not that I'm really in any rush. With GPU, RAM, and SSD prices the way they are right now, I'm putting my build plans on pause. :/

Just remember if it goes back, I have to pay shipping back.

And I have kids to feed! XD

neocmetal

Trash Compacter
Mar 1, 2017
Is there a specific way of installing the riser slot because i smelled smoke coming from the pci slot. Did i do something wrong? I'm scared. :\

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Is there a specific way of installing the riser slot because i smelled smoke coming from the pci slot. Did i do something wrong? I'm scared. :\

I'm afraid so. You need to follow the instructions on the riser and the key explicitly.

http://nfc-systems.com/shop-universal/siliflex

Your system might still work...hopefully you just toasted the key a bit. It's possible though you have damaged your GPU.

If you installed the riser correctly, then it is something else. Some people have plugged in their DC jacks incorrectly when they smell smoke. Accidents happen.

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
So, after placing the HDPLEX 400w in several places, I've narrowed it down to two possible places. One, over the usb ports/fan mounts or on the very bottom below where the graphics card is placed. Only problem, the supplied atx cable is not long enough if I put it down on the bottom. I noticed that 2 of the screw holes on the inside cover of the bottom match the size of the mounting holes on the DC/DC, So, I'm thinking of canceling my skywire order if I decide to mount it on the bottom, as I have already ordered a front bezel with the usb and skyslots.

Edit: I might as well keep the skywire cables in case the bottom mount doesn't play nice with my graphics card.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

As far as the bottom mounts for the HDPlex 160W AC-DC, one can only use this with a reference height GPU (111.15mm). Given the internal depth of the case (215mm) and the height of the HDPlex 160W AC-DC (40mm), you essentially cannot use a card longer than 175mm.

Cards that would manage to work given these constraints are:

Zotac 1070 and 1080 mini cards are overheight at 125mm tall (I've already tried this with the 1080 Mini) while Gigabyte ITX cards are even taller (131mm). Also worth mentioning is that putting a 160W AC-DC in front of the motherboard doesn't jive with a Pico based power supply of any sort (3mm between motherboard edge and PSU).

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
As far as the bottom mounts for the HDPlex 160W AC-DC, one can only use this with a reference height GPU (111.15mm). Given the internal depth of the case (215mm) and the height of the HDPlex 160W AC-DC (40mm), you essentially cannot use a card longer than 175mm.

Cards that would manage to work given these constraints are:

Zotac 1070 and 1080 mini cards are overheight at 125mm tall (I've already tried this with the 1080 Mini) while Gigabyte ITX cards are even taller (131mm). Also worth mentioning is that putting a 160W AC-DC in front of the motherboard doesn't jive with a Pico based power supply of any sort (3mm between motherboard edge and PSU).
So interesting hearing you have already dug on that scenario!
And what are your thoughts on moving 160W AC-DC to the front of the motherboard and moving dynamo 360 or an hdplex 400w to the bottom (under the gpu) to eliminate necessity of picopsu ?

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
So interesting hearing you have already dug on that scenario!

Yeah I've been playing around with a few ideas since the S4M was announced. I am likely doing a mod kit around this arrangement in collaboration with NFC.

And what are your thoughts on moving 160W AC-DC to the front of the motherboard and moving dynamo 360 or an hdplex 400w to the bottom (under the gpu) to eliminate necessity of picopsu ?

Depends what you're planning. If you put a 160W AC-DC in front of say the motherboard and the GPU and use a Gigabyte 1080 the problem you're going to run into is that at 131mm tall you're not going to have space for a HDPlex 400W once you plug in your cables (there would be 25mm total available here). You can JUST fit a Dynamo 360 in there, but the Dynamo 360 doesn't have a 24 pin ATX header which means you are reliant on the Dynamo Mini to complete that part of the power equation.

Now with this said, there is one very elegant workaround for all of this, but I'm not going to share it right now :)

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
Yeah I've been playing around with a few ideas since the S4M was announced. I am likely doing a mod kit around this arrangement in collaboration with NFC.

Depends what you're planning. If you put a 160W AC-DC in front of say the motherboard and the GPU and use a Gigabyte 1080 the problem you're going to run into is that at 131mm tall you're not going to have space for a HDPlex 400W once you plug in your cables (there would be 25mm total available here). You can JUST fit a Dynamo 360 in there, but the Dynamo 360 doesn't have a 24 pin ATX header which means you are reliant on the Dynamo Mini to complete that part of the power equation.

Now with this said, there is one very elegant workaround for all of this, but I'm not going to share it right now :)
Oh gosh, now I'm hyped! I just just knew I shouldn't rush with my S4M build :)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So, after placing the HDPLEX 400w in several places, I've narrowed it down to two possible places. One, over the usb ports/fan mounts or on the very bottom below where the graphics card is placed. Only problem, the supplied atx cable is not long enough if I put it down on the bottom. I noticed that 2 of the screw holes on the inside cover of the bottom match the size of the mounting holes on the DC/DC, So, I'm thinking of canceling my skywire order if I decide to mount it on the bottom, as I have already ordered a front bezel with the usb and skyslots.

Edit: I might as well keep the skywire cables in case the bottom mount doesn't play nice with my graphics card.

Hello, @Nightblade

I am fixing to mill the 2D bezels today...so if you would prefer to drop the USB ports you can still do that (or cancel your order). After I mill them, I'd prefer not to take returns as it is a custom item.

Peace

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Got any examples were to buy?

Hello, @BryceK

You can order through my website here:

http://nfc-systems.com/shop-universal/

On the ON/OFF switch product page I also have a video on how to make your own. In the links in the description of said video are places to buy your tools and materials.

You can buy wired and sleeved switches from other sources too, although I'm not sure if they are fully wired but rather they use spade type connectors.

Peace.