SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

robee

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 22, 2018
Did the HDPLEX internal 300W AC Adapter and HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX be housed in the case?
Will we be able to buy a completely black house?

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 25, 2017
Hi @Josh | NFC, In the new skyreach (according to you video) there is now bracket for 2x 92mm fans. Now I'm thinking about the noctua nf-a9x14 pwm, which are 92mm x 14mm, but would these fit above a GPU? and would it help cooling in your opinion?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hi @Josh | NFC, In the new skyreach (according to you video) there is now bracket for 2x 92mm fans. Now I'm thinking about the noctua nf-a9x14 pwm, which are 92mm x 14mm, but would these fit above a GPU? and would it help cooling in your opinion?

Hello, BryceK. I think the best info is to see it in action, so I linked you the video below.

I do think that it may be able to improve cooling, but I found a tune that I was happy with in which the cooling was limited a bit. I simply rigged the fans to work off the optional CPU header, and set the curve to match the CPU. This is not a good idea for most builds as this could cause your GPU to cook, but for the hot i9 it worked great...and took no time at all.

I did get more throttling this way on the card, but the tone was way nicer than the stock fans on the 1080ti...yuck. I could have set them to work harder and it may have prevented throttling, but I wasn't going to lose sleep over 100-150mhz particularly when it sounded so much better. I think for the 1080, it might be more effective still.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 25, 2017
Hi @Josh | NFC, The idea is not to replace the fan of my GPU, since it is gonna be the 1080 GTX from the eGPU of Gigabyte with the 130mm fan. But I was thinking on placing the 2x 92mm fans at the back of the card since else it might not fit?

Thats why I wanted to know if it would help cooling, or maybe just airflow?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hi @Josh | NFC, The idea is not to replace the fan of my GPU, since it is gonna be the 1080 GTX from the eGPU of Gigabyte with the 130mm fan. But I was thinking on placing the 2x 92mm fans at the back of the card since else it might not fit?

Thats why I wanted to know if it would help cooling, or maybe just airflow?

Oh,

Well they won't fit on the back with a backplated GPU. You only have ~11.5mm of room there. And even if they did you would need some gap for them to be effective.

Sorry I thought you meant the heatsink side when you said above.

You COULD use the slim Scythe though with the SkyBracket. That would fit, and it might help cool your Gigabyte card down. I used them on the 1070s in the S4M-C and it did help.

Peace.

BryceK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 25, 2017
Oh,

Well they won't fit on the back with a backplated GPU. You only have ~11.5mm of room there. And even if they did you would need some gap for them to be effective.

Sorry I thought you meant the heatsink side when you said above.

You COULD use the slim Scythe though with the SkyBracket. That would fit, and it might help cool your Gigabyte card down. I used them on the 1070s in the S4M-C and it did help.

Peace.

Hi @Josh | NFC , I quess you mean this these fans?

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/kaze-jyu-slim-100mm.html

But they are 12mm in height which would be 0,5mm to high according to your measurements, also then would not have any the breathing gap between or am I now missing something :)?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hi @Josh | NFC , I quess you mean this these fans?

http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fans/kaze-jyu-slim-100mm.html

But they are 12mm in height which would be 0,5mm to high according to your measurements, also then would not have any the breathing gap between or am I now missing something :)?

There are lots of technical reasons why, but the short answer is it works. Here is a picture of it working with a S4M-C and a Gigabyte 1070 mini:

There are four possible (maybe three useable) mounting locations for the SkyBracket in the new S4M over the backside of the GPU. Because of the size of the fan and the positioning it may even work better scooping air off the back of the gpu and moving off the card. I don't know though and you will have to test it. Fan type, speed, GPU type, wiring location all changes this.

Peace

friendswithben

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 27, 2017
Will the hdplex 300W AC-DC fit with single slot GPUs? Single slot low profile? If so, where would it be mounted?

Also, just want to add that mine came in the mail and it's real exciting. So rare to see design this clean, simple, and effective!

Revamp

Cable Smoosher
Aug 3, 2017
Any word when our orders from the NFC site will ship? My case should be here in the next couple days, but still no confirmation on my button, S4 mini feet, and carbon fiber bezel. :p @Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Will the hdplex 300W AC-DC fit with single slot GPUs? Single slot low profile? If so, where would it be mounted?

Also, just want to add that mine came in the mail and it's real exciting. So rare to see design this clean, simple, and effective!

Thank you for the compliment!

The HDPLEX 300 probably would fit with a low profile single slot GPU...There isn't a mount for it but it wouldn't be hard to make one (or use mounting tape.) The thing is, with a single slot low profile GPU, you could use the HDPLEX 160 AC-DC, which has a mount, weighs less, and is cheaper, right?

Any word when our orders from the NFC site will ship? My case should be here in the next couple days, but still no confirmation on my button, S4 mini feet, and carbon fiber bezel. :p @Josh | NFC

You can always feel free to email me anytime for updates as I have them. There have been many unplanned delays that I apologize for. All of them were out of my hands (this time at least!) but I still feel awful for them. The wrong on/off switches were shipped to me (twice!) and I just got the correct ones in the mail yesterday. The carbon fiber took a month to deliver, the SkyWire cables were incredibly delayed by Mod One's CES trip, the wood specimens were lost and finally recovered and sent to my door, and it turns out that there is no such thing as 1/16" smoked acrylic cell cast sheets which my supplier was kind enough to tell me on the phone after I asked why I was sent clear ones.

So yes, everything is taking too long. I'm sorry, but the good news is I have most everything as of Monday and am working with my wife to get stuff done and out to you guys ASAP. Tons of orders went out yesterday and hopefully alot more will today and I will be mostly caught up by the end of the week.

Thank you for your patience!!!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC Would the 300W ACDC go under the GPU or against the sidewall by the power ports? Already ordered it so I'm just gonna try make it work haha.

It would go in the same spot as the 160, but rotated 90 degrees because it's too tall to fit. Checkout the sketchup model and you can see.

I also have a picture on this page you can look at but it won't be as effective as the sketchup model:

http://nfc-systems.com/boms

Peace

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
So I would have gotten my S4M yesterday, but USPS tried to deliver it when I wasn't there, so I had to go pick it up today at the post office. Now that I have it in person, I can see why the HDPLEX 400w blocks the usb ports. Would it be possible to mount it in the 2.5" drive bay area? (I'm only using m.2 drives)

Also @Josh | NFC I noticed the fan screw holes are much wider than the holes on the HDPLEX 400w, Did you intend for us to remove the riser part of the HDPLEX 400w so it would mount?

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So I would have gotten my S4M yesterday, but USPS tried to deliver it when I wasn't there, so I had to go pick it up today at the post office. Now that I have it in person, I can see why the HDPLEX 400w blocks the usb ports. Would it be possible to mount it in the 2.5" drive bay area? (I'm only using m.2 drives)

Also @Josh | NFC I noticed the fan screw holes are much wider than the holes on the HDPLEX 400w, Did you intend for us to remove the riser part of the HDPLEX 400w so it would mount?

There are no mounts for the HDPLEX 400. Once you install it (last) it has no place to go.

Peace

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
It would go in the same spot as the 160, but rotated 90 degrees because it's too tall to fit. Checkout the sketchup model and you can see.

I also have a picture on this page you can look at but it won't be as effective as the sketchup model:

http://nfc-systems.com/boms

Peace

Hi Josh, I was interested in going brickless with my new S4M, and I was wondering what the C8 connector and soldering would be for? If I have the Dynamo Mini and an HDPLEX 160W AC-DC, don't I just plug the Mini into the mobo and the AC-DC, and then the AC-DC to the wall?