SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Where can I find more information on differences between current gen case and this new case you're talking about? :)
Thanks!
Also, where can we find out more information about your chickens? Do those come in black as well?

McShrimpsky

What's an ITX?
Apr 9, 2019
Anyone looking for a brick less build? I have a Skyreach and an Inno3d 2070 to sell. All tested and work on test bench. Work and masters has led me down the laptop route unfortunately.
I'd definitely be interested in these if they're still available. I literally just got my HDPlex AC/DC yesterday. I tried to PM you about it, but it looks like you can't do that as a new member?

napptr

Chassis Packer
Mar 7, 2018
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I am having an issue with my HDplex 400 watt ATC. I am using it with a Dell 330 watt brick. The issue is I can't boot with either the GTX 2070 or 2060. The HDplex just squeals for a moment when I press the on button. I'm pretty sure this is a genuine dell brick, so I'm thinking it's an issue with the PSU. The system works fine with a 1050 that only draws current through the PCIE slot and doesn't require the power cable.

EDIT: Larry from HDplex walked me through getting it working. Turns out I was using an incompatible PCIE power cable, which I did not know was even possible. Huge thanks to Larry for dealing with my dumb ass and even offering to replace the unit (just barely) out of warranty, if it wasn't working.

Last edited:
Reactions: D90

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I am having an issue with my HDplex 400 watt ATC. I am using it with a Dell 330 watt brick. The issue is I can't boot with either the GTX 2070 or 2060. The HDplex just squeals for a moment when I press the on button. I'm pretty sure this is a genuine dell brick, so I'm thinking it's an issue with the PSU. The system works fine with a 1050 that only draws current through the PCIE slot and doesn't require the power cable.

EDIT: Larry from HDplex walked me through getting it working. Turns out I was using an incompatible PCIE power cable, which I did not know was even possible. Huge thanks to Larry for dealing with my dumb ass and even offering to replace the unit (just barely) out of warranty, if it wasn't working.

Was your old one unshielded? That's the only issue I can see unless a connection was bad

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
It looks like I'm already stuck with my Era-Adapter solution to fit a firewire card into the S4M! (Probably for sale in the near future!)
Previous post: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/skyreach-4-mini-s4m.5715/page-114#post-139524

I'm trying to install the firewire card in the bottom slot, the era-adapter gets stuck against the sidewall of the motherboards PCIe slot... Asus X-470 ... big bummer!! Moving it to the top slot then prevents the case from closing later on, as the 4 pin power connector sticks out...

So I'm looking for a solution or a workarround...

A) Thinking of having a custom bracket 3d printed that nudges the card a little bit to the left.
Or B) Find a bifurcation riser that could work with the S4M... but this might conflict with either the GPU performance or the firewire card as they would share an IRQ in the hardware settings....

Suggestion are welcome!

Thanks

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Moving it to the top slot then prevents the case from closing later on, as the 4 pin power connector sticks out...

Desolder the power connector and solder an angled one like this

Candyhands

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 26, 2019
So I'm going to be doing a build running the hdplex 400 combo, but I just wanted to double check if I needed to buy any other special parts to get this running. I know I need the on/off switch, but do I need a power plug or anything else of that nature?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
So I'm going to be doing a build running the hdplex 400 combo, but I just wanted to double check if I needed to buy any other special parts to get this running. I know I need the on/off switch, but do I need a power plug or anything else of that nature?

If you are content with using C8 jack (the figure 8 AC jack), then no, you don't need anything else. C8 and C14 comes included but the three pronged (hence grounded) C14 doesn't fit S4M.

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Desolder the power connector and solder an angled one like this

I looked into that, but it won't change the era-adapter from being stuck against the mobo pcie connector. The only solution is moving the pcie card with 1cm, therefore I need a custom bracket printed. Josh is printing it ATM, but meanwhile I'm trying to figure out a workaround that doesn't require much disassembly again as it will probably take a while before it arrives from the US.

llee8820

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2019
New to SFF builds. Hoping to get an S4M when the next batch releases. Question about the HDPLEX 400. Do I need the AC-DC adapter? It adds another $118 to the cost. I know I have to get the 330W Dell Brick.

I also have a 130W Dell brick from my Alienware alpha. That won't be enough for a 1660Ti right?

Thanks!

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
130w will be pushing it. at least 250w or 330w. If you want to go with a brick max is 330w Dell, or the hdplex AC-DC 400W.

Depends on your cpu you might get away with a 150w on a 35W procie + 1050ti. but a 130w with 1660 not sure the tdp on that one but it will be pushing it. won't boot.

llee8820

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2019
130w will be pushing it. at least 250w or 330w. If you want to go with a brick max is 330w Dell, or the hdplex AC-DC 400W.

Depends on your cpu you might get away with a 150w on a 35W procie + 1050ti. but a 130w with 1660 not sure the tdp on that one but it will be pushing it. won't boot.

So if I get the hdplex ac-dc 400w then I don't need the 330W Dell brick?

llee8820

Cable Smoosher
Apr 15, 2019
Correct, just either of the AC-DC unit works. I assume you’re getting the HDPlex DC-ATX 400w unit as well?

Yes. Not sure if you could just only buy the ac-dc adapter.
Just didn't know if I had to buy the hdplex 400w + ac-dc adapter + Dell 330W brick which ends up pretty expensive

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Yes. Not sure if you could just only buy the ac-dc adapter.
Just didn't know if I had to buy the hdplex 400w + ac-dc adapter + Dell 330W brick which ends up pretty expensive
You need either:
  • HDPlex DC-ATX 400w + HDPlex AC-DC 400w brick, or
  • HDPlex DC-ATX 400w + Dell 330w brick

napptr

Chassis Packer
Mar 7, 2018
I'm back with another misadventure - I've had a bit of a mishap with my hdplex DC-ATX 400 watt. The unit itself is fine, but the connector from the Dell 330 brick into the HDplex got overly hot (right where the Dell plugs in) and the computer shut off. I think the plastic was starting to melt by the smell. I'm assuming this is because my overlock was too high (ryzen 1600 and gtx 2070). Lesson learned - although I am bit surprised this was the part that failed first, rather than the Dell brick shutting off. Now my issue is I would like to get a replacement for the power connector which connects the Dell to the HDplex unit. The problem is I hate bothering Larry and I am a bit embarrassed. Does anyone know where you can buy one of these connectors? It looks like an HDplex branded part, but I was hoping not to have to ask Larry for another favor to cover my ass. Here's the part I'm looking for:

imgur.com/a/1MBcV4r

Last edited:

reifnotreef

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2019
I'm back with another misadventure - I've had a bit of a mishap with my hdplex ac-dc 400 watt. The unit itself is fine, but the connector from the Dell 330 brick into the HDplex got overly hot (right where the Dell plugs in) and the computer shut off.imgur.com/a/1MBcV4r

The Dell brick does not plug in to a 400w AC-DC unit, I think you mean dc-atx unit.

Reactions: napptr