SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Hey, I'm looking for some help here...

I will be installing this era adapter m.2 to pcie adapter so I can install a fire-wire card into the s4m for my audio hardware.
http://www.era-adapter.com/m2-keym-to-pcie-x4-extender-cable-r4s-r2f-p-298.html

That said, here's my little dilemma..

1) The adapter has a Sata to small 4 pin power cable that I can't seem to figure why it needs to be powered.
2) The Pcie fire-wire card has a 4pin molex power connector to power the card, but I don't know where to power it from since the HDPLEX 400 DC-ATX has a 4 pin to 4x Sata power cable that ill be using for 2 SSD's and 2 seagate barracuda drives.

So I'm wondering what cable to buy or to mod so I can power the Pcie card and 2... do I need to power the adapter as well?
I'm trying to figure this out in advance to prevent anything from short-circuiting etc.

If you have used such adapter, please share some input!

Thanks!

Update: Nevermind... I think if figured it out and make a custom cable that connects all that needs power...

Last edited:

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Hi guys,
I’m new in this forum and to the SSF.
A couple of days ago I bought the black panels for the S4 Mini but I don’t have a S4M and wanted to buy one when they’re restocked.
Now I read in this forum that ssf labs won’t sel any new ones and Josh is not sure if there will be new ones, that’s a bummer...I just wanted the black panels for my s4 Mini build that’s why I bought them.
Is it sure that the S4 could be not renewed and instead there will be another version? Now I’m waiting for the black panels but can’t buy any mini haha what a purchase.

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Hi guys,
I’m new in this forum and to the SSF.
A couple of days ago I bought the black panels for the S4 Mini but I don’t have a S4M and wanted to buy one when they’re restocked.
Now I read in this forum that ssf labs won’t sel any new ones and Josh is not sure if there will be new ones, that’s a bummer...I just wanted the black panels for my s4 Mini build that’s why I bought them.
Is it sure that the S4 could be not renewed and instead there will be another version? Now I’m waiting for the black panels but can’t buy any mini haha what a purchase.
josh mentioned a new run of minis in his last video. sounds like there will be some small revisions. i also bought the black panels without already owning a mini. hopefully they fit the next batch of cases.

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
josh mentioned a new run of minis in his last video. sounds like there will be some small revisions. i also bought the black panels without already owning a mini. hopefully they fit the next batch of cases.

That would be great but did he mentioned where we can buy them? What I have found in this forum probably not on sfflab

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
That would be great but did he mentioned where we can buy them? What I have found in this forum probably not on sfflab
it seems like sfflab is the easiest avenue for him. they can ship the cases straight from taiwan, and they do cheap international shipping. i can't quote him directly, but i think josh said the cases would be produced at the lian li facility in taiwan before they have fully moved to mainland china. maybe email him and ask him directly, he tends to be very good at responding to emails.

ahtanie

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 20, 2018
Hi guys,

Just wanna share something I did with my S4.
Objective of my setup:
- optimised for travel
- brickless
- little to no modifications to the chassis

After venturing into ITX builds and the form factor of Pico or nano PSUs, I found out that carrying a brick (depending on wattage) may actually be heavier and once you factor in the volume of it, the space saved may not have been that much.

The downsides to this setup:
- little to no availability of the 160w HDplex adapter
- only works for low profile mini GPUs

Shout-out to Choidebu for his help on my PSU issues. Thanks mate

Enjoy the pics all and thanks to Josh for the design of this amazing case!

Reactions: Soul_Est

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
The downsides to this setup:
- little to no availability of the 160w HDplex adapter
- only works for low profile mini GPUs

i don't know if you're aware of this, but we're already way past 300W brickless builds.

Josh's last youtube video had a 460W brickless RTX2070 SkyReach, with a CryOrig C7 copper.

they're even selling versions of what's in that youtube video, on ebay now.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
it seems like sfflab is the easiest avenue for him. they can ship the cases straight from taiwan, and they do cheap international shipping. i can't quote him directly, but i think josh said the cases would be produced at the lian li facility in taiwan before they have fully moved to mainland china. maybe email him and ask him directly, he tends to be very good at responding to emails.

Thanks, I mailed him. Let´s see if I can be a happy owner of the S4 Mini in the Future ;)

ahtanie

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 20, 2018
i don't know if you're aware of this, but we're already way past 300W brickless builds.

Josh's last youtube video had a 460W brickless RTX2070 SkyReach, with a CryOrig C7 copper.

they're even selling versions of what's in that youtube video, on ebay now.

Thanks for sharing dude. I don't think everyone wants to shave off 2mm from the brick with an angle grinder, cnc mill, file or sandpaper. The idea of mine was to make it quick and easy, drag and drop. Not to mention, cheaper.

By eBay are you referring to this USD700 shipped listing? Lol

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183730108156

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
I don't think everyone wants to shave off 2mm from the brick with an angle grinder, cnc mill, file or sandpaper.

that's not what he actually did in his youtube video.

he just talked about shaving an HDPLEX 400W AC-DC down, but if you look at that SkyReach, you'll see that he actually removed the panel preventing installation.

or maybe his customer removed it.

By eBay are you referring to this

i'm assuming they want to encourage local pickup, which is why that option is 80% cheaper.

Mosskovskaia

Trash Compacter
Mar 15, 2019
Hey Guys,

so I mailed Josh and asked him about the Situation about the Minis. He gave me permission to copy and paste the Mail here into the Forum so everybody knows what's going on:

• I have never said there will not be another MINI run. I have always said I want to do another run, but I was not sure if it was going to happen for reasons outside my control.
  • I am always working on new case designs. Always! :D I don't believe that any case design will "cancel out" the MINI or take precedence over it. I have spent a huge chunk of my life in hours, passion and dollars making and letting people know about the MINI so it would be crazy to abandon it for another case.
  • SFF Lab is overly optimistic about reordering and delivery times, and I am not sure why they can't be on the same page as me. I guess we are both at fault for not communicating properly..
  • It is against my best interest to keep information about the MINI's future from the community. I want to share everything I know and am reasonably sure about with the community.
The TL:DR is this:

I want to make more MINIs. Things changed, and I wasn't able to re-order MINIs as planned. I have been in a holding pattern until I am able to ensure I can make more MINIs at the same level of luxury quality as my customers expect. I am actively seeking paths forward to ordering more. There is a NEW development which could lead to MINIs being available for PREORDER this month, but not delivery.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
@ahtanie , glad you got it working. Did you end up modifying the 6 pin from the brick's output, or were you able to just plug 4 out of them to the dynamo?

@CARC Mini , dude you're way over whispering (selling?) this ebay S4 Mini thing, all over the forum. Are you sure you're not affiliated with the seller? Or you are the seller yourself?

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
Quick noctua NH-L9a question: Does it matter where the heatpipe tips that sticks out are facing at? I'm using the asus X470-I motherboard and I can't place the cooler as in Josh instruction video with the airflow away from the ram modules.

So all that is left is to figure out where the 2 heatpipe tips should be facing at, I mean toward the Audio/SSD part or towards the connectors etc. Thx

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Quick noctua NH-L9a question: Does it matter where the heatpipe tips that sticks out are facing at? I'm using the asus X470-I motherboard and I can't place the cooler as in Josh instruction video with the airflow away from the ram modules.

So all that is left is to figure out where the 2 heatpipe tips should be facing at, I mean toward the Audio/SSD part or towards the connectors etc. Thx

Heatpipes up towards the EPS/8 pin CPU power

In relation to your last question about power that riser needs auxilliary power as the m.2 slot will only deliver 7W of power, whereas PCI-Express devices are designed for 25W, with GPUs able to draw up to 75W.

As you concluded you'll need SATA spliiters and a SATA to MOLEX converter

are you saying you're not the seller?

Who cares? Don't buy it. No one should buy it at that price.