SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
The SFFLab website lists the Skyreach 4 Mini as being back in stock in March, but those seem to be the default silver color scheme.

I personally love the look of some of the custom paint jobs that can be seen in Josh's videos, such as this Black+Orange one
and would love to purchase one.

Does Josh do custom orders for just the case, or does it have to be a complete build? I am comfortable putting the build together myself if that was an option, and if really necessary I'd be fine getting it powder-coated locally as well, but I'd prefer to pay Josh for his work directly.
Best to contact Josh directly :)
https://nfc-systems.com/contact/

JohannesMP

Efficiency Noob
Jan 13, 2019
there are several custom-colored ones, on ebay right now.
Of the two I can see right now, the first one in silver has some ugly holes drilled on the short sides that are visible even when the top and bottom panel are attached, and the second one in black includes a PSU I don't need (I plan on using both the HDPlex 400W dc-atx and dc-dc) and uses photos of other cases including some of the exact photos as the first silver one that is currently listed, so I'm probably going to hold off on either of those...

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
That is actually my orange and black case and I had it custom powder coated at a local shop. While Josh used to do a lot more paint jobs, since moving manufacture and shipping out of house, I think it's something he's stepped away from.

JohannesMP

Efficiency Noob
Jan 13, 2019
That is actually my orange and black case and I had it custom powder coated at a local shop. While Josh used to do a lot more paint jobs, since moving manufacture and shipping out of house, I think it's something he's stepped away from.

Oh sweet, it's a gorgeous color, just the right amount of yellow in the orange.

And yeah that definitely makes sense. If I were to get a hold of a base case I'd probably find a place in the Seattle area to get a similar paint job.

Last edited:

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Need some help. S4 Mini won’t boot with video card installed!!!

I7 9700k
Gigabyte Z390 I Aorus mini itx
Corsair dominator 16gb
Zotac 1070 Mini
2 samsung 2.5” SSD
Noctua NH-L9I
HD-Plex 400W converter (I pre-ordered when first available in 2015 or 2016 before release)
Dell Omen 330w power supply

System will boot fine when no video card is installed, but when installed with 1070 (and tested separate RX 580 mini from MSI) nothing... card fan will spin but no video. System simply won’t boot. Wattage wise I am still under the 330W total. I even set it to power savings in the BIOS. Any one have any ideas or ways I can trouble shoot? I am pretty sure it has tk be either my power supply or the HD-Plex. Also it took me years fo save for all of the parts, so I just bought a part st the time when I had some extra money. Only now using the HD-Plex which I have had since its intial release.

Thanks!

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Are the parts installed in the S4M?

If you haven’t already:

Clear CMOS and set bios to default.

Set up the entire system outside of the chassis to troubleshoot. I do this on the motherboard box generally.

Try booting with the GPU in the pcie slot to eliminate the riser.

Try booting with a regular Atx psu to eliminate the HdPlex. Could be the brick but the Omen seems to have a good rep.

Could be the pcie slot even. You have only run these parts on this mobo with the HdPlex power set up correct?

Reactions: fabio

D90

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 9, 2017
Thanks. I did try in regular pci slot and with an atx psu (though I lacked some cables so still had to use the hd plex to power the 8 pin power connector on the motherboard. I guess I need to go get a regular psu to test. Thank you for the tips!

mikefoxtrot

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 24, 2019
Hi All!
This is my first post on this forum so please excuse me if this question has been already asked. I've got the S4M and would like to make my own anti vandal momentary switch for my build. What I would like to know is what sort of switch I should look out for, there are so many different types of anti vandal switch out there I don't quite know what to look for. Is it something I can purchase from Amazon.co.uk, uk.farnell.com or mouser.co.uk? So I'm wondering if anyone can give me a little advice.

Many Thanks in Advance! :-D

Dark_Rye

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 28, 2019
HI all, long time lurker and first time poster!

I've been thinking about getting a S4 but one things holds me back (besides availability): GPU clearance. I pulled a copy of the Sketchup file and converted it to Solidworks assembly through STL (it was a messy process for those familiar with SW).

While we can currently fit two Noctua A9x14s above the GPU, they're not keeping the card cool enough at a low acoustic level in my opinion. We could dramatically improve airflow and reduce acoustic levels by using BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 25mm thick fans (NON-PWM, always running at 100%). The GTX 1080 Ti mini has a thickness with the heat sink of 26.64mm and 25mm thick fans would occupy a total width of approximately 52mm.

Once I remember how to use the sheet metal folding utilities in SW (it's been a while), I plan to adjust the dimensions to better mount of the GPU with more fan space :)

Reactions: Aoq1

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
hello,

not sure what you mean by 'make my own anti vandal momentary switch' but if you are simply looking for something else than the ones you can buy with the S4M then you have tons of options. basically any 16mm diameter one would do. depending on your build however you might want to consider its length if you really pack the chassis full.
if you go deeper in the 'soul and aesthetics of my S4M switch' topic then you start looking for something better than just an average switch :) questions like 'how does it feel to press?', 'does it look as high quality as my S4M?', 'with our without lights?', 'isn't the light too harsh for the mood of my build?', etc pop up. I would suggest browsing the pages you mention for 16mm anti vandal switch and if you find one then verify if that fits.

sorry for the too much blahblah

Reactions: mikefoxtrot

dealwithitx

Caliper Novice
Nov 15, 2017
Hey everyone!

Will a fan on top of the motherboard help me run my S4 mini cooler? I'm not in a throttling territory, but I believe it gets too hot while gaming.