SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You might have too much thermal paste on. It's great in thin layers, but starts to act as an insulator if too thick. I'd try reapplying with the correct amount if you think this is the case.

damekko

Trash Compacter
Jan 16, 2018
You might have too much thermal paste on. It's great in thin layers, but starts to act as an insulator if too thick. I'd try reapplying with the correct amount if you think this is the case.

Thank you @Kmpkt maybe that is the case, tomorrow i will reapply It with less paste... first time i’ve done this to be honest.

Untero

Average Stuffer
Dec 14, 2017
Hey, @Kmpkt , have you received your panels back from powder coating? Can’t wait to see the outcome :)

arjunned

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 14, 2017
Picked up mine from the post office this afternoon. Was stuck in customs for a long time. Haven't started moving over components just yet. Waiting on final parts from Josh which should be arriving soon. Will post a build log when I get the chance.

I have to say, the case is beautiful! Thanks, Josh!

Reactions: damekko

Eigua

Trash Compacter
Jan 25, 2018
Also check if your fan ramp up to its max speed (2600/2700 RPM) during stress test. If it does not, check if your fan is plugged into correct ( cpu header ) or maybe your bios fan tuning utility is holding it back. Also as Josh mentioned, Prime95 stress test is totally unrealistic for ur cpu/cooler. I always use Aida64, even this stress your cpu a lot, much more than a real world load would but its necessary for testing stability. Make sure you have the latest bios. Also its worth checking which thermal paste was used and how it was applied ( one comes with Noctua L9i is good far better than cooler master stock thermal paste).

Thanks for the help!

1. Fan speed is max.
2. Plugged in the CPU fan header.
3. I know P95 is not real-world. I'm using this as an overcautious maximum so I can make room for additional heat generated by being in the case and being run in a very warm ambient temperature. I will try Aida64 and see what temps it generates.
4. Latest BIOS.
5. TIM is Noctua and applied well.

damekko

Trash Compacter
Jan 16, 2018

Hi @Kmpkt was this too much? (Truly asking, not being sarcastic)

Thank you.

Reactions: Eigua

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The first photos look excessive. The second one looks about right. Hope this fixes your problem!

Reactions: ECHO

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
So, my HDPLEX power supply and internal brick arrived, and I would like to be sure that the brick will function w/o a ground connection, because the packaged C14 connector has a ground that runs through the internal plug and into the brick:

I just want to be sure before I clip, strip, and re-solder the neutral and hot to the C8, that it will work without ground.

Lupercal

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2017
I'm so jealous of everyone's S4M builds. They look great.

I've been holding off on buying parts, waiting for GPU prices to come down and new Ryzen CPUs to release.

I'm seriously considering picking up a Ryzen 2400G in a couple weeks. I've read the integrated Vega 11 is no worse than my old R9 380.

veganzombiez

Caliper Novice
Jan 13, 2018
Has there been any documentation on whether it's worth putting 2 exhaust fans behind the GPU / backplate?

Also, what about using an l9i (with non-K chip), removing the 90mm fan, and using a slim 120 instead?

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
To use a bigger fan with the l9i or similar I think would only improve things if a sort of duct could be made between heat sink and fan. Without that there is no static pressure to push (or pull) the air through the fins - I think there have been tests already showing it's worse in that case.

I've been considering whether the Xigmatek Janus with one fan below could be a good option. Particularly with case horizontal and fan blowing up it seems like a logical airflow pattern. Possibly a bit big though so will do some test fits later.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017

I finally was able to snag a graphics card today, and decided to put everything together to see how well it meshed. The only thing I'm missing are are the power switch and the front usb ports. I couldn't install my CMPS2X cooler because Zalman stupidly sent me the wrong AM4 bracket, so I stuck the stock cooler on there temporarily(which makes me unable to close the case). Also because I plan to use the front USB ports, I have to put the dc/dc on the bottom. Unfortunately, the atx cable doesn't reach, so I had to buy an extension cable, which kinda pisses me off, as it makes it a lot more cluttered with cables. I will take any suggestions to solve this issue.

Reactions: Soul_Est