SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

PaulWalker

Chassis Packer
Sep 19, 2017
Has anyone considered putting a media server inside an S4? I received my Skyreach this week and I'm considering transitioning my home server from a Fractal Define to a small forum factor and the Skyreach would be perfect. I think 4 x 3.5 inch hard drives could fit instead of a GPU. I would just need to fashion some type of bracket. I'm not proficient enough at AutoCAD to draw one up, but if someone has any ideas I'm interested.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Has anyone considered putting a media server inside an S4? I received my Skyreach this week and I'm considering transitioning my home server from a Fractal Define to a small forum factor and the Skyreach would be perfect. I think 4 x 3.5 inch hard drives could fit instead of a GPU. I would just need to fashion some type of bracket. I'm not proficient enough at AutoCAD to draw one up, but if someone has any ideas I'm interested.
BRUH... do it!

Reactions: Obelisk

Obelisk

Trash Compacter
Nov 21, 2017
How about a bracket like the two drive one from NCASE?https://www.sfflab.com/collections/ncase/products/ncase_m1_bracket_drive_25
EDIT: Didn’t realize you said 3.5”

PaulWalker

Chassis Packer
Sep 19, 2017
I’m wondering if maybe the sky bracket could be modified to work. I’m out of town right now and can’t look at mine in person,. I’ll have to take. A closer look and see if i could modify it to fit 2 3.5 inch drives. I’ll have to see if I could install a second sky bracket to the bottom to get 2 more drives installed. If anyone has their brackets handy and good take a look for me that would be awesome.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Anyone know the power consumption on a undervolted zotac 1080 ti mini? Curious if I can run one in the s4 mini with the hdplex 400.

Reason I am thinking of undercoating cause it would be nice to have one gpu for both my systems. My workstations and Travel.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Anyone know the power consumption on a undervolted zotac 1080 ti mini? Curious if I can run one in the s4 mini with the hdplex 400.

Reason I am thinking of undercoating cause it would be nice to have one gpu for both my systems. My workstations and Travel.

I can't help you with those numbers as it is soooo specific to the hardware, but the HDPLEX 400 has no problem powering an overclocked 1080ti and a 7980X. The AC/DC power supply is what you need to worry about, and if you meant the HDPLEX 300, I'm afraid there isn't a chance with the current revision for real workloads.

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
So, I was going to use the GUnique PSU I ordered for the Custom Mod case (that didn't actually fit the GPU it was supposed to) and is now unsused. However, I realised the 8Pin power cable is too short..... DAMNIT!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So, I was going to use the GUnique PSU I ordered for the Custom Mod case (that didn't actually fit the GPU it was supposed to) and is now unsused. However, I realised the 8Pin power cable is too short..... DAMNIT!

I have one of these (for the Custom Mod case) I bought from someone on the forum and was wanting to modify it for my Skyreach 4 MINI.

Seems like it's not the 8 pin that is too short, as it goes straight to the DC jack. Rather, it is the two power cables that go from the jack to the plug-in unit.

That should be a very easy snip, strip, and solder. You could use some butt connectors too if you don't want to solder:

Reactions: JoeyAzul and kevlar

kevlar

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2017
I have one of these (for the Custom Mod case) I bought from someone on the forum and was wanting to modify it for my Skyreach 4 MINI.

Seems like it's not the 8 pin that is too short, as it goes straight to the DC jack. Rather, it is the two power cables that go from the jack to the plug-in unit.

I'm not finished with my build yet but I'm in a similar situation. That said, the cable is juuuust long enough to reach the cutout, but I've found that the DC jack type that mine came with for the CustomMod Slim doesn't quite line up right with the screw holes in the back. Now I'm wondering if I should order another G-Unique pico unit or wait for an adapter of some sort. At the moment it's bearable, it doesn't budge anyways when the brick is connected to it so it's not a huge deal, but it certainly doesn't look pretty.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
So if I understand correctly, if I bought an s4, I could use my current evga 1070 sc in it with the front panel removed until gpu prices become somewhat more normal and I can afford to upgrade to a zotac 1080ti mini or whatever new comes out before then, right? It would just stick out the front of the case?

Reactions: ECHO

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So if I understand correctly, if I bought an s4, I could use my current evga 1070 sc in it with the front panel removed until gpu prices become somewhat more normal and I can afford to upgrade to a zotac 1080ti mini or whatever new comes out before then, right? It would just stick out the front of the case?

Yes sir!

Reactions: ECHO and Elerek

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Sweet!

Well I'm at least going to wait long enough to see ryzen 2 performance to decide on a platform since that'll be the same time as my 3 pay check month. Hopefully by then Gary's s4 specific plug will be ready and I'll grab a gunique dc-dc and an s4 mini.

I shouldn't have to worry about power limits, just temps. I've got a couple intel 750w 12v 1u psu's that I've already gone through the trouble of modding with noctua 40mm fans so they don't scream. I'll get a friend to print me a plastic enclosure for one and use that as my power brick.

Last edited:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I can't help you with those numbers as it is soooo specific to the hardware, but the HDPLEX 400 has no problem powering an overclocked 1080ti and a 7980X. The AC/DC power supply is what you need to worry about, and if you meant the HDPLEX 300, I'm afraid there isn't a chance with the current revision for real workloads.
Hmmm I have a 350w brick. Did fine wth the 1080 mini. I need the 1080 ti power in my work station but do not need to it in my travel station. So if I could reduce the wattage by undervolting I was thinking I could do one card for both. Guess I’ll just play it safe and go with the 1080 mini

Eigua

Trash Compacter
Jan 25, 2018
I'm going to be using an i7-8800 + Noctua NH-L9i + ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac in the S4M. While waiting for the case to be shipped, I put the system together and set everything up in an open-air test setup. I went with the i7-8800 because of the lower TDP assuming a lower max temperature, but I'm seeing some disturbing temps with this processor. At stock speeds, I ran Prime 95 29.4 b7 FFT and quickly shot up to the 90's and reached 98C within about 2 minutes before I stopped it. While this was better than I saw using the stock cooler (100C in < 30 seconds), the temps are a lot higher than I expected for the 8800 @ default speed in open-air (ambient is somewhere in the mid-high 60's F). Idle temps and temps doing normal workloads are good though. I know the S4M has good ventilation, but I'm quite concerned that once I put this in the case that my temps are going to be worse. This system will be used for some heavy processing and will be used in warm ambient temperature.

I saw @CubanLegend's tests comparing the NH-L9i to the LP53 which showed the NH-L9i reaching 99C in 5 minutes, but that was on an i7-7700K and done inside the S4M-C. I figured the i7-8800 would have more headroom being a lower TDP part. I guess I was wrong because I'm seeing it hit that temp much faster, in open-air to boot.

If anyone else is using an i7-8800 + Noctua NH-L9i (or any other heatsink) with the S4M, could you post your P95 FFT results?

I know the LP53 is considered the best performing HS in this form factor and that delidding will yield a great reduction in heat, but the LP53 takes too long to get (and costs a fortune with new fan + mod required) and I don't want to delid and lose the warranty. Undervolting and/or underclocking may be the best solution.

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I'm going to be using an i7-8800 + Noctua NH-L9i + ASRock Z370M-ITX/ac in the S4M. While waiting for the case to be shipped, I put the system together and set everything up in an open-air test setup. I went with the i7-8800 because of the lower TDP assuming a lower max temperature, but I'm seeing some disturbing temps with this processor. At stock speeds, I ran Prime 95 29.4 b7 FFT and quickly shot up to the 90's and reached 98C within about 2 minutes before I stopped it. While this was better than I saw using the stock cooler (100C in < 30 seconds), the temps are a lot higher than I expected for the 8800 @ default speed in open-air (ambient is somewhere in the mid-high 60's F). Idle temps and temps doing normal workloads are good though. I know the S4M has good ventilation, but I'm quite concerned that once I put this in the case that my temps are going to be worse. This system will be used for some heavy processing and will be used in warm ambient temperature.

I saw @CubanLegend's tests comparing the NH-L9i to the LP53 which showed the NH-L9i reaching 99C in 5 minutes, but that was on an i7-7700K and done inside the S4M-C. I figured the i7-8800 would have more headroom being a lower TDP part. I guess I was wrong because I'm seeing it hit that temp much faster, in open-air to boot.

If anyone else is using an i7-8800 + Noctua NH-L9i (or any other heatsink) with the S4M, could you post your P95 FFT results?

I know the LP53 is considered the best performing HS in this form factor and that delidding will yield a great reduction in heat, but the LP53 takes too long to get (and costs a fortune with new fan + mod required) and I don't want to delid and lose the warranty. Undervolting and/or underclocking may be the best solution.
i7-8800? Am I getting something wrong..

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
Yeah, so I have a similar part - the i7 8400. Its a 6 core (no HT and slower clocks) and I'm seeing similar, though not quite as high temps. Last time I ran P95 for an extended period of time one of my cores got to 94 (the rest were mid 80s)

For me, its fine, because I'll only be using it for gaming, which will never come close to forcing all cores to 100%, 100% of the time, but yeah, people should not be surprised to see 65w chips pushing high temps with the NH-L9i. As good as it is, there is only so much you can do with the space available.