SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Eigua

Trash Compacter
Jan 25, 2018
I ordered on Thursday 1/25/2018. The next Tuesday and Friday went by without a shipment notification so I assumed I'd be at least until the next Tuesday before it shipped. Then on Saturday night, I got a shipment notification -- it had already reached the US and cleared customs! It was in customs for exactly 30 minutes according to the tracking (went through SFO, not JFK). It would have been delivered yesterday had it not been Sunday, so I'll definitely be getting it today. Woot!

Even though I have a deadline when I need it by, I could have easily gotten away without using express shipping. I'm impressed that everything went through so smoothly with the manufacturing especially since I was not a pre-order and my order was placed immediately after the pre-orders got filled. I expected more of a backup of orders or perhaps a longer wait until they filled enough orders to do another manufacturing run. I'm glad I was wrong. Very well done!

Reactions: owliwar and damekko

SirjekyllTech

Efficiency Noob
New User
Jan 17, 2018
This is beautiful. I love it.
Do you mind if I ask:
1) Is it possible to put one or two thin fans to cool the back of that 1080 mini GPU card? And would it be worth it?
2) Would it be possible to mount two fans right behind the HD Plex to cool the HDplex? And then mount the HDplex on top of the fans?
3) What is the measured spacing towards the bottom of the GPU/bottom of the S4M case? Is it possible to fit a mini radiator/fan to do liquid cooling?
4) What is the measured spacing above the motherboard/top of the S4M case? Is it possible to fit two fans up there as "exhausting" fans?

I'm trying to find out any and all ways to cool the S4M since It is such a tiny and narrow case.

Sure thing.

1) As I mentioned in my post, I tried fitting two NF-A9x14 fans with no success, they were abour 3-4mm too thick. @Parge I think there might be some merit to attempting to install a fan in the 92mm slot closest to the front bezel because the 1080 mini's back plate ends exposing underside of the heat sink. An additional fan pulling the air across this path may help with cooling. The other 92mm slot in this case would be better used as a SSD slot.

2) Possibly, but you would have limited airflow due to lack of sources. Also it's tight enough already, so wiring would be even more of a challenge. As @Parge stated, the HD Plex doesn't get very hot so this is not really necessary.

3) That space would vary based on the card you use, but even then i'm not sure a radiator of that size exists.

4) For me, 0mm. My 24pin wiring actually makes contact with the case, and with the HD Plex there you can't even install the Skybracket Duo.

damekko

Trash Compacter
Jan 16, 2018
Decided to 'work' from home today so I could watch the Superbowl overnight and pick up a parcel...

Sliver case with carbon fibre 2D bezel and mini feet
Black case with Zebrawood 3D bezel and black on/off switch

Waiting on power supplies etc. before building... can't wait!

Thanks Josh!

Nice 2D carbon fiber bezel!!!

@brt02 Just a question: whats the orientation of the skylots on it ? I’m seeing them horizontally flipped \\\\\ instead of ////// like the rest of the case, can you install it both ways?

Reactions: brt02

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Looking at it now, it should be the other way around, with the power button in front of the motherboard. Didn't notice that until you brought in up!

The CF bezel uses the same mounting points as the standard bezel so it's easy enough to flip....

Reactions: damekko

damekko

Trash Compacter
Jan 16, 2018
Looking at it now, it should be the other way around, with the power button in front of the motherboard. Didn't notice that until you brought in up!

The CF bezel uses the same mounting points as the standard bezel so it's easy enough to flip....

Hehe must have been the excitement!

Thanx! I’m thinking about getting one.

@Josh | NFC question, are you gonna offer in the near future 2D non Carbon Fiber bezels for the S4M? I’ve seen you have 3D ones but i’m no fan of that look :/

Wished the original aluminum bezel was vented.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hehe must have been the excitement!

Thanx! I’m thinking about getting one.

@Josh | NFC question, are you gonna offer in the near future 2D non Carbon Fiber bezels for the S4M? I’ve seen you have a 3D “frosted” acrylic one, but i’m no fan of that look :/

What do you suggest? I can do any color acrylic. Peace

Reactions: damekko

Andrew.J.Vigil

Average Stuffer
Nov 28, 2017
Sent my side panels for powder coating today *squeeeeee*

Also...

Just gonna leave this here
So pumped dude!

Lupercal

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2017
I just finished my build. it took me a whole day to do all the custom wiring, but I'm satisfied the way it turned out. I'm going to try a slim 120mm fan as a replacement for the 92mm on the CPU heatsink using the skybracket, but I have my doubts as to how much benefit that idea offers.

I didn't like the solution of letting the HD PLEX get "held in place" by the wires, so I drilled, and tapped 4 M3x0.5mm holes in the metal backplate of the HD PLEX, and used some of the front fan mounting holes to fix it to the S4M housing. I really like the way that turned out. I'm not sure if anyone has done this before, but it worked well for me.

Adafruit sells a 16mm RGB metal push button switch that works on 6V. since I'm not using the RGB header for the AMD LEDs so I figured why not attach it to that. I added some resistors the switch to compensate for the 12V coming off the header. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3350

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700
16GB Vengeance Ram
1TB 960 Pro
Zotac 1080 Mini
HD-PLEX 400

Things I learned:

Noctua NF-A9x14 fans do not fit behind a 1080.
Custom wiring takes longer than you expect.

I'm really liking the RGB switch. Mind explaining exactly how you made that work?

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Canadapost screwed up again :( Got my package to another province and attempting to deliver. Now they are telling me that "Item is redirected to recipient's new address". Two more days to wait I guess...

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Can someone tell me what Josh means when he says by combining the Dynamo mini and the Dynamo 360 "you can do naughty things"? @16:45 in the S4M video. Then the picture shows an orange case S4M with HDplex and some other Gizmo connected to the 24pin.

What's the difference with this combo versus just using the HDPlex 400 and the Dell 330 power brick to power a 1080?

Eigua

Trash Compacter
Jan 25, 2018
Can someone tell me what Josh means when he says by combining the Dynamo mini and the Dynamo 360 "you can do naughty things"? @16:45 in the S4M video. Then the picture shows an orange case S4M with HDplex and some other Gizmo connected to the 24pin.

What's the difference with this combo versus just using the HDPlex 400 and the Dell 330 power brick to power a 1080?

Combining the two, you get 520W to work with which means more headroom for high-powered components.

From the Dynamo 360 page:

"The two differentiating features of the Dynamo 360 DC-DC power supply are its ability to pass power through to a second DC powered device, as well as to sync power on and power off via a fan header (or other 5V line from the paired DC device). While the intended recipients of the passthrough are either the KMPKT Dynamo Mini, or a DC-based motherboard such as Intel’s NuC, the Dynamo 360 can also be daisy chained for higher wattage applications or operate without use of the passthrough at all (with multiple AC-DC adapters). Because of this versatility, the Dynamo system provides the ability for users to not only make small and efficient builds, but also to make DC-DC based systems that have vastly higher power capacity than previously possible."

I'm not sure where you'd find a brick able to handle 520W. You can use two separate power cables and bricks apparently.

Last edited:

damekko

Trash Compacter
Jan 16, 2018
What do you suggest? I can do any color acrylic. Peace

Either one of these options would be great:

*** 2D Smoked Vented Acrylic or
*** 2D Allblack vented Acrylic would be nice.

If you can make it for me let me know!!! i’m all in !!!

I don’t wanna mess up my original bezel trying to cut skyslots with home tools ~_~

Thanks!

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
He does say (in that same video) that he made dual fan holes there to be able to cool down your HDPlex with two 50mm fans. Right?

The fan cutouts are for a Plugin-style unit, not the HDPLEX 250/300/400. So Gunique's PSUs, KMPKT Dynamo 200, Pico 160XT, or HDPLEX 160.

Hope this makes sense...

Peace

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016

Merge ;)

Also given the current implementation of the Dynamo Mini/360 you can run the Mini off of an HDPlex 160W AC-DC (200W Peak) and HDPlex 300W AC-DC (400W peak). Many motherboards will sync the power on/off between the two units. In cases where your motherboard doesn't take care of this, the Dynamo 360 comes with a spare 2 pin cable for syncing power on/off.

As an alternative you can use the Lulzbot 500W power supply (https://www.lulzbot.com/store/parts/24vdc-500w-power-supply) or Eurocom 780W power supply with the Dynamo Mini/360 connected in series with one another.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
@Vcaps26 @20legend
I have the exact same tracking statuses as both of you. Last update from the 31st and still stuck in customs. I feel like that express shipping went to waste and it's all thanks to frigging customs.

Reactions: 1461748123

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Vcaps26 @20legend
I have the exact same tracking statuses as both of you. Last update from the 31st and still stuck in customs. I feel like that express shipping went to waste and it's all thanks to frigging customs.

If you three want, you can arrange shipping with me and I can ship you the three MINIs I have here. Then you can ship me yours when it comes in.

Peace