SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
Has there been any documentation on whether it's worth putting 2 exhaust fans behind the GPU / backplate?

Also, what about using an l9i (with non-K chip), removing the 90mm fan, and using a slim 120 instead?
I tried NF-A12x15 and noted 5-7 degree higher temps.

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
I also popped the lid off my HDPLEX AC-DC converter and found the ground wire to be internally soldered to the board. Is it safe to disregard the ground wire when modding the C8 connector on? I ask again out of not wanting to cause electrical failures.

ECHO

Trash Compacter
Dec 3, 2016
TL;DR Nope and nope.

Peace

What about 40/50 mm Fans at the top and/or bottom of the case? (when in vertical orientation)

I imagine it could depend on the style of GPU cooler for the GPU end, but I can only think of upside at the CPU end

Cheers :)

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
So, my HDPLEX power supply and internal brick arrived, and I would like to be sure that the brick will function w/o a ground connection, because the packaged C14 connector has a ground that runs through the internal plug and into the brick:

I just want to be sure before I clip, strip, and re-solder the neutral and hot to the C8, that it will work without ground.

I also popped the lid off my HDPLEX AC-DC converter and found the ground wire to be internally soldered to the board. Is it safe to disregard the ground wire when modding the C8 connector on? I ask again out of not wanting to cause electrical failures.

'Safe' is relative. Both Ac and dc only needs 2 wires, but the third one is needed as local grounding to keep the 'neutral', as you say it, from floating too much from your local environment which can cause discharges to electrically conducting material around the device, and if in case it's you, you get static shocks. Now there's no way around this when you use 2 pronged plug, the most you can do is ground the case to the wall socket ground.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Does anyone have any suggestions on wiring the dc/dc from the bottom? I'm using an extension cable atm and its made the wiring a bit of a mess...

Jotunn

Caliper Novice
Jan 25, 2018
'Safe' is relative. Both Ac and dc only needs 2 wires, but the third one is needed as local grounding to keep the 'neutral', as you say it, from floating too much from your local environment which can cause discharges to electrically conducting material around the device, and if in case it's you, you get static shocks. Now there's no way around this when you use 2 pronged plug, the most you can do is ground the case to the wall socket ground.

In short, have it on a surge protector if going the two prong route, but my town's power is generally quite stable, so I should (knock on wood) be okay.

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Does anyone have any suggestions on wiring the dc/dc from the bottom? I'm using an extension cable atm and its made the wiring a bit of a mess...

Not to toot my own horn, but if you put a Dynamo 360 in the bottom of the case where the HDPlex 400W DC-ATX is and paired it with a Dynamo Mini attached to motherboard, you would only have four cables running from the bottom of the case instead of 24 and the eight cables powering the EPS header would consist of very short cables running from the topmost aspect of the Dynamo Mini to the EPS 8 pin connector. If your GPU would have very short 6 pin PCIe cable from the Dynamo 360 to your GPU.

Reactions: Obelisk

SirjekyllTech

Efficiency Noob
New User
Jan 17, 2018
I just finished my build. it took me a whole day to do all the custom wiring, but I'm satisfied the way it turned out. I'm going to try a slim 120mm fan as a replacement for the 92mm on the CPU heatsink using the skybracket, but I have my doubts as to how much benefit that idea offers.

I didn't like the solution of letting the HD PLEX get "held in place" by the wires, so I drilled, and tapped 4 M3x0.5mm holes in the metal backplate of the HD PLEX, and used some of the front fan mounting holes to fix it to the S4M housing. I really like the way that turned out. I'm not sure if anyone has done this before, but it worked well for me.

Adafruit sells a 16mm RGB metal push button switch that works on 6V. since I'm not using the RGB header for the AMD LEDs so I figured why not attach it to that. I added some resistors the switch to compensate for the 12V coming off the header. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3350

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700
16GB Vengeance Ram
1TB 960 Pro
Zotac 1080 Mini
HD-PLEX 400

Things I learned:

Noctua NF-A9x14 fans do not fit behind a 1080.
Custom wiring takes longer than you expect.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I just finished my build. it took me a whole day to do all the custom wiring, but I'm satisfied the way it turned out. I'm going to try a slim 120mm fan as a replacement for the 92mm on the CPU heatsink using the skybracket, but I have my doubts as to how much benefit that idea offers.

Ryzen 7 1700
16GB Vengeance Ram
1TB 960 Pro
Zotac 1080 Mini
HD-PLEX 400

Things I learned:

Noctua NF-A9x14 fans do not fit behind a 1080.
Custom wiring takes longer than you expect.

This is beautiful. I love it.
Do you mind if I ask:
1) Is it possible to put one or two thin fans to cool the back of that 1080 mini GPU card? And would it be worth it?
2) Would it be possible to mount two fans right behind the HD Plex to cool the HDplex? And then mount the HDplex on top of the fans?
3) What is the measured spacing towards the bottom of the GPU/bottom of the S4M case? Is it possible to fit a mini radiator/fan to do liquid cooling?
4) What is the measured spacing above the motherboard/top of the S4M case? Is it possible to fit two fans up there as "exhausting" fans?

I'm trying to find out any and all ways to cool the S4M since It is such a tiny and narrow case.

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
This is beautiful. I love it.
Do you mind if I ask:
1) Is it possible to put one or two thin fans to cool the back of that 1080 mini GPU card? And would it be worth it?
2) Would it be possible to mount two fans right behind the HD Plex to cool the HDplex? And then mount the HDplex on top of the fans?
3) What is the measured spacing towards the bottom of the GPU/bottom of the S4M case? Is it possible to fit a mini radiator/fan to do liquid cooling?
4) What is the measured spacing above the motherboard/top of the S4M case? Is it possible to fit two fans up there as "exhausting" fans?

I'm trying to find out any and all ways to cool the S4M since It is such a tiny and narrow case.

2. The fans would not have any cool air to draw on, even if they could fit. Also, it doesn't really need cooling in my experience.
3. No way, unless you have a half size GPU and a very thin radiator.
4. Not sure, but they would have to be very thin and therefore probably very loud and whiny.

I have to say, I was surprised that there wasn't any mounting holes for the HDplex by default - I used velcro in the end which worked a charm.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
Decided to 'work' from home today so I could watch the Superbowl overnight and pick up a parcel...

Silver case with carbon fibre 2D bezel and mini feet
Black case with Zebrawood 3D bezel and black on/off switch

Waiting on power supplies etc. before building... can't wait!

Thanks Josh!

Last edited:

Vcaps26

Caliper Novice
Jan 24, 2018
@Craxas Any update on your shipment? Mine's still "going through customs" as of the 31st. I wish we knew what was up on that end since something is causing for this super slow process. I'm on the verge of losing it if it's not in by Thursday.

Reactions: Craxas

RobonHood

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2016
Decided to 'work' from home today so I could watch the Superbowl overnight and pick up a parcel...

Sliver case with carbon fibre 2D bezel and mini feet
Black case with Zebrawood 3D bezel and black on/off switch

Waiting on power supplies etc. before building... can't wait!

Thanks Josh!

Hey sorry to creep, what desk are you using?

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018
It's an old Ikea desk. Galant IIRC. It's been replaced by Bekant whioh is similar, but with rounded corners.

20legend

Cable Smoosher
Jan 26, 2018
Guys,
The tracking still says "2018-01-31 19:46 United States, customs inspection, retention reasons: Other"

What gives? Has anyone seen any change after JFK?

Vcaps26

Caliper Novice
Jan 24, 2018
Guys,
The tracking still says "2018-01-31 19:46 United States, customs inspection, retention reasons: Other"

What gives? Has anyone seen any change after JFK?
@20legend That is extremely odd, I just see "Inbound into Customs" still. I have no clue what the hold up cold be - hopefully just a random search?

20legend

Cable Smoosher
Jan 26, 2018
@20legend That is extremely odd, I just see "Inbound into Customs" still. I have no clue what the hold up cold be - hopefully just a random search?

This is mine, right now mate. Look at the highlighted bit.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
@Parge
I have to say, I was surprised that there wasn't any mounting holes for the HDplex by default - I used velcro in the end which worked a charm.

@Josh | NFC Specifically tells you not to put ANYTHING between the HDPlex and the case...

You shouldn't use anything between the HDPLEX 400 and the S4 MINI.

It's not needed, for one, as the HDPLEX 400 runs veryt cool even with a 1080, and two, the HDPLEX is so thick you would have trouble fitting it with anything in between.

Peace

Reactions: Obelisk