SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

smallcaps

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 25, 2017
First post (for me)!

Long time lurker (2 years) and finally pulled the trigger. I've always been into sff (my last build) but could never get my S4 order in on time or had enough resources until now. After reading the exhaustive thread on the S4, I've attempted to put together my dream computer based on the SRM but need opinions and advice regarding in particular its power and cooling requirements and restrictions. I do not intend to overclock but possibly downclock.

...and yes, this build seems way too unnecessary considering the confines of the SRM, but please entertain me. I want to start big in concept before deflating it to realistic options. Thank you for any feedback and looking forward to what everyone is going to build into their cases.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7800X 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Dynatron - R15 Fanless CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X299E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2066 Motherboard ($394.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($117.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Intel - 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Mini Video Card ($754.98 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A9x14 29.7 CFM 92mm Fan ($15.89 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Fractal Design - FD-FAN-SSR2-50 4.6 CFM 50mm Fan ($8.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x15 PWM 55.4 CFM 120mm Fan
Total: $2675.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-26 00:37 EST-0500

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonny727272

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
First post (for me)!

Long time lurker (2 years) and finally pulled the trigger. I've always been into sff (my last build) but could never get my S4 order in on time or had enough resources until now. After reading the exhaustive thread on the S4, I've attempted to put together my dream computer based on the SRM but need opinions and advice regarding in particular its power and cooling requirements and restrictions. I do not intend to overclock but possibly downclock.

...and yes, this build seems way too unnecessary considering the confines of the SRM, but please entertain me. I want to start big in concept before deflating it to realistic options. Thank you for any feedback and looking forward to what everyone is going to build into their cases.

Motherboard: ASRock - X299E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA2066 Motherboard ($394.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Why the 7800x?? Do you need extra lanes? The cpu tdp of 140w will be a real challenge to cool. Honestly I think you would be much better off getting the z370 with 8700k and 2x16gb ram. That’s a lot of case fans I don’t see you fitting those all in there. He added the 50mm fans cause why not but most people mount their hdplex over that. With your system you will either have to do the dynamo with two bricks or the g-unique solution..

Edit: I believe someone tested the dynatron cooler and it didn’t perform well. Your better of with the noctua l9i with the adaptors or an lp53 if they come with adaptors I am not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: smallcaps

arjunned

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 14, 2017
Hello!

Been a follower on SFF forums for a while. The information here has been very useful in helping me to learn how to build my first PC in a Node 202, a couple of months ago.

I just pre-ordered an NFC Skyreach 4 Mini (SRM) and can't wait to move my current build over to it.

I do have a couple concerns/questions when moving my current config to an SRM. But first, below are the components I'm going to use for the new SRM build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9a (Stock fan replaced with Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: 2x Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB
1x Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Mini (Stock fans replaced with 2x Noctua A9x14's - thanks to the wonderful peeps on SFF detailing this out over at the 1080 mini and build log threads)

Note: I have not overclocked the CPU. Currently, the GPU is undervolted to 0.975V to keep temps down in the Node 202.

What do I use my PC for?
a. Music production (in my free time).
b. Gaming on a 60 FPS monitor @ 1080p. I haven't quite jumped on the 4K wagon yet.

Q1. Powering the above system: I have ordered an HDPlex 400 + Dell 330W AC-DC. Will this be enough to power the above rig? Are there 400W AC-DC adapters that I should be getting instead?

Q2. I see the SSDs are to be mounted on top of the GPU. The backplate of the 1080 Mini seems to get quite toasty during long gaming sessions - will this heat not affect the performance/longevity of the SSDs mounted on top?

Q3. How is the HDPlex 400 mounted? Just slide it into place between the inner frame rails?

Thanks!

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Hello!

Been a follower on SFF forums for a while. The information here has been very useful in helping me to learn how to build my first PC in a Node 202, a couple of months ago.

I just pre-ordered an NFC Skyreach 4 Mini (SRM) and can't wait to move my current build over to it.

I do have a couple concerns/questions when moving my current config to an SRM. But first, below are the components I'm going to use for the new SRM build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9a (Stock fan replaced with Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: 2x Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB
1x Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Mini (Stock fans replaced with 2x Noctua A9x14's - thanks to the wonderful peeps on SFF detailing this out over at the 1080 mini and build log threads)

Note: I have not overclocked the CPU. Currently, the GPU is undervolted to 0.975V to keep temps down in the Node 202.

What do I use my PC for?
a. Music production (in my free time).
b. Gaming on a 60 FPS monitor @ 1080p. I haven't quite jumped on the 4K wagon yet.

Q1. Powering the above system: I have ordered an HDPlex 400 + Dell 330W AC-DC. Will this be enough to power the above rig? Are there 400W AC-DC adapters that I should be getting instead?

Q2. I see the SSDs are to be mounted on top of the GPU. The backplate of the 1080 Mini seems to get quite toasty during long gaming sessions - will this heat not affect the performance/longevity of the SSDs mounted on top?

Q3. How is the HDPlex 400 mounted? Just slide it into place between the inner frame rails?

Thanks!
Q1. Should be enough the cpu is 65w tsp and gpu is 180w. I wouldn’t overclock either. You will be pushing the bricks limit but should work. I do a 7700k and 1080 mini on mine and no issues. Usually you almost never see full load on gpu and cpu to draw max power but it’s always a possibility.

Q2. Heat always wears down parts. I wonder why your gpu backplate gets so hot mine never really does. I doubt it will be much of a difference though as SSDs are not effected by heat as much as disk drives. This is due to the lack of moving parts. Overheating a SSD is never good but there have been plenty of S4C builds and no issues.

Q3. It is just placed on the side wall next to right side of the motherboard. I used some thermal tape just to stick it a little and let the heat sink transfer heat to the aluminum case. However none of that is needed. Once the 24 pin is placed it is usually prettty stuck next to the motherboard. The side walls cups it pretty well so once all the cables are in the hdplex doesn’t move.

Last edited:

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
@arjunned

Q1: I think you should be able to run the GTX 1080 and R5 1600X off of the Dell 330W power brick but you may have to tinker around with undevolting the GPU a bit. Although a GTX 1080 seems a bit overkill for 1080p gaming at 60 FPS. If you lock the FPS in place I don't think you'll run into any issues.

Q3: I don’t think the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX unit is mounted. If you buy the 24 pin skycable (is that the name?) from Josh’s site then once you’ve plugged it into the motherboard the 400W unit will stay in place with no mounting needed.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
First post (for me)!

Forgot to add last night. You should really figure out what power supply your getting if it is the hdplex, dynamo, or g-unique. Then adjust your parts accordingly based on what power you can deliver. If you go with the g-unique you most likely could use those 50mm fans. The others you won’t. Figure out the power supply then adjust your parts.

Once you have the case and everything installed I would then recommend looking in to adding fans where you can fit them. Not every bracket will fit a fan nor will every fan be beneficial based on parts. If you stick with intel your most likely should delid the cpu. It does help immensely, well at least for some of us that did it.

Still recommend the 8700k since you will see better performance for it and it doesn’t look like you need to extra lanes. It would also be easier to cool. But if your set on the 7800x go for it. I think a couple people are trying to do skylake-x but I haven’t seen anything that successful

arjunned

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 14, 2017
Q1. Should be enough the cpu is 65w tsp and gpu is 180w. I wouldn’t overclock either. You will be pushing the bricks limit but should work. I do a 7700k and 1080 mini on mine and no issues. Usually you almost never see full load on gpu and cpu to draw max power but it’s always a possibility.

Ah, sounds good. Thanks for easing my mind. :)

Q2. Heat always wears down parts. I wonder why your gpu backplate gets so hot mine never really does. I doubt it will be much of a difference though as SSDs are not effected by heat as much as disk drives. This is due to the lack of moving parts. Overheating a SSD is never good but there have been plenty of S4C builds and no issues.

The hot backplate is probably because of how restrictive the Node 202 (where the GPU is currently installed in) is, airflow-wise? I'm not sure. I remember reading on a build log here that removing the backplate actually reduced temps. I should try that.

Q3. It is just placed on the side wall next to right side of the motherboard. I used some thermal tape just to stick it a little and let the heat shrink transfer heat to the aluminum case. However none of that is needed. Once the 24 pin is placed it is usually prettty stuck next to the motherboard. The side walls cups it pretty well so once all the cables are in the hdplex doesn’t move.

Sweet, sounds simple enough.

Although a GTX 1080 seems a bit overkill for 1080p gaming at 60 FPS. If you lock the FPS in place I don't think you'll run into any issues.

Haha, yes. I know. I went with the 1080 just in case I get a a better monitor next year (which I'm really need for my production workflow!).

Q3: I don’t think the HDPLEX 400W DC-ATX unit is mounted. If you buy the 24 pin skycable (is that the name?) from Josh’s site then once you’ve plugged it into the motherboard the 400W unit will stay in place with no mounting needed.
Awesome. I did in fact order a SkyWire 24-pin from Josh's site.

Thanks, guys! I'm sure I'll have more questions when I my SRM arrives.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
There are lots and lots of alternatives. I obviously want to sell mine as that's how I make my milk money, but any 16mm switch will work.

As far as bottlenecks, I am going to open up preorders for many items on my website this week, and that will help me get ahead and guage how many people want SkyWire cables, buttons, etc.

I put in an order for a set of SkyWire cables. I was just curious if you had any idea when they might start shipping out?

smallcaps

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 25, 2017
Super helpful, thank you. I have been talking with Gury about the build and will most likely go with his 500w ultimate kit. I wanted to go with x299 for the upgrade potential down the line. I am very much considering 8700k after your recommendation, but I don't really like the dead-end platform that z370 feels like. I would go with TR4 if there was a motherboard available, but I guess I have to face the real restrictions of the S4M beyond my power lust. Again, appreciate the advice.

Forgot to add last night. You should really figure out what power supply your getting if it is the hdplex, dynamo, or g-unique. Then adjust your parts accordingly based on what power you can deliver. If you go with the g-unique you most likely could use those 50mm fans. The others you won’t. Figure out the power supply then adjust your parts.

Once you have the case and everything installed I would then recommend looking in to adding fans where you can fit them. Not every bracket will fit a fan nor will every fan be beneficial based on parts. If you stick with intel your most likely should delid the cpu. It does help immensely, well at least for some of us that did it.

Still recommend the 8700k since you will see better performance for it and it doesn’t look like you need to extra lanes. It would also be easier to cool. But if your set on the 7800x go for it. I think a couple people are trying to do skylake-x but I haven’t seen anything that successful

Reactions: Biowarejak

seto

Caliper Novice
Nov 26, 2017
Your solution should be the @guryhwa archdaemon 500w internal DC-DC, as combo purchase that includes his 500W modded AC-DC power brick. :)
Hey @CubanLegend , I'm planning to use your set up for the Skyreach 4 Mini (NFC S4 Mini "Classic" #193: ASUS z270i, i7-7700K, Thermolab LP53 & NF-A9x14-PWM, 2x8GB DDR4-4000, ZOTAC 1080 Mini, HDPLEX-400 & Dell 330W ). I am really keen on your configuration and was wondering how you like it? In the event I'd like to future proof and as I'm starting to get into VR gaming, would you recommend getting the archdaemon 500 internal DC-DC combo with modded 500W AC-DC power brick for your current set up? It might sound redundant, sorry for the noob questions but just want to get it right the first time. Its going to be my first time building using small form and i'm not that familiar with power supplies. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
Super helpful, thank you. I have been talking with Gury about the build and will most likely go with his 500w ultimate kit. I wanted to go with x299 for the upgrade potential down the line. I am very much considering 8700k after your recommendation, but I don't really like the dead-end platform that z370 feels like. I would go with TR4 if there was a motherboard available, but I guess I have to face the real restrictions of the S4M beyond my power lust. Again, appreciate the advice.

x299 in my opinion is the worst in terms of price to performance. If you are still considering it, here are few things to consider:
- motherboard will cost you 400$
- You can't reuse RAM from your old build because Asrock ITX motherboard uses SO-DIMMs and I believe that's the only x299 motherboard available at the moment.
- Processor runs very hot and draw too much power. 200-300w for 6/8 core. Keeping the system cool would be a real challenge.
- Overclocking is not that good.

If you are really worried about upgradability Ryzen is your best bet. I run Ryzen 1700x on one of my desktops and it really scales well. I can run bunch of IDEs , 2-3 VMs without even noticing any lag. That's the case for productivity tasks, but for gaming 8700k will be slightly better though.

By the time we get S4M, Ryzen refresh will be on the horizon, which I strongly believe would close the IPC gap ( only advantage intel cpus have at the moment). Even 5-10% IPC gain will put Ryzen on the top.

If you must build now, go with Coffee Lake or Ryzen .

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Hey @CubanLegend , I'm planning to use your set up for the Skyreach 4 Mini (NFC S4 Mini "Classic" #193: ASUS z270i, i7-7700K, Thermolab LP53 & NF-A9x14-PWM, 2x8GB DDR4-4000, ZOTAC 1080 Mini, HDPLEX-400 & Dell 330W ). I am really keen on your configuration and was wondering how you like it? In the event I'd like to future proof and as I'm starting to get into VR gaming, would you recommend getting the archdaemon 500 internal DC-DC combo with modded 500W AC-DC power brick for your current set up? It might sound redundant, sorry for the noob questions but just want to get it right the first time. Its going to be my first time building using small form and i'm not that familiar with power supplies. Thanks in advance.
Welcome, @seto , I'm honored that my S4M-C config inspired your SRM build! :D I love my build, its great for what I use it for which is 1080p max settings and 4K gaming. If I were to build a rig now I would have gone with the ASUS z370i, 8700k and 1080ti, but thats only because i was trying to stuff the best stuff in my S4M-C at the time. You'll be fine with my setup. :)

And as for future-proofing (like if moving up to an 8700/1080ti or even NEXT-NEXT gen CPU/GPU), you're absolutely 100% on the money, 500W internal DC-DC archdaemon combo with the the 500W AC-DC brick would be your best best.

Last edited:
Reactions: seto

Obelisk

Trash Compacter
Nov 21, 2017
For Ryzen, what's the best cooler? PcPartPicker only lists the L9a, as the VC-45 is only for LGA 115x. Is there a vapor chamber cooler for AM4?