SKYREACH 4 MINI (S4M)

Parge

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 8, 2015
Man, people putting X299 in a S4M is just not a good idea. I have a 65W chip - and with what is widely regarded as the best cooler in its class (LH9i) - and in games (not even 100% load) it still gets pretty warm (70 - 80c). The 7800X is a 140w chip! 140W! Have you ever tried to cool a chip like that? I had a 5820k - as soon as its cores get loaded BOOM - temps spike - and that's with a 'proper' cooler.

That dynatron isn't going to even come close to being good enough, and even if it could cool it, it was be horribly loud. There are people in this very thread struggling to cool chips that are less than 100w. If you really want those components - you should go with another case - or if you really want to the S4M - you should go with another chip.

Obelisk

Trash Compacter
Nov 21, 2017
There isn't any vapor chamber cooler that actually works for mini itx...unfortunately.
Oh? Well, are there any coolers that could tame an 1800X? I'll be undervolting, but its 8 cores can get toasty.
EDIT: Would a 1U copper cooler + a slim fan be sufficient?

Last edited:

Test Kit

Cable Smoosher
Oct 13, 2017
Does the C7 fit in the S4M with a Noctua slim fan? Once the all copper version is released (can’t remember when) if this fits it could be the best combo.

Reactions: futaris

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
x299 in my opinion is the worst in terms of price to performance. If you are still considering it, here are few things to consider:
- motherboard will cost you 400$
- You can't reuse RAM from your old build because Asrock ITX motherboard uses SO-DIMMs and I believe that's the only x299 motherboard available at the moment.
- Processor runs very hot and draw too much power. 200-300w for 6/8 core. Keeping the system cool would be a real challenge.
- Overclocking is not that good.

If you are really worried about upgradability Ryzen is your best bet. I run Ryzen 1700x on one of my desktops and it really scales well. I can run bunch of IDEs , 2-3 VMs without even noticing any lag. That's the case for productivity tasks, but for gaming 8700k will be slightly better though.

By the time we get S4M, Ryzen refresh will be on the horizon, which I strongly believe would close the IPC gap ( only advantage intel cpus have at the moment). Even 5-10% IPC gain will put Ryzen on the top.

If you must build now, go with Coffee Lake or Ryzen .
Have you seen the latest benchmarks? 8700k matches the 1700 in productivity and has up to a 40% faster single core speed. It’s not a little better at gaming it’s a lot better at 1080p. 4K and 1440p of course are gpu bound. I was going to agree that Ryzen 2 might close the gap but they put that off and will only do ryzen + which is an incremental improvement coming spring. While I agree you will be able to upgrade on the ryzen platform and the risen platform is cheaper. The 8700k will last a long time.

Reactions: Biowarejak

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
For Ryzen, what's the best cooler? PcPartPicker only lists the L9a, as the VC-45 is only for LGA 115x. Is there a vapor chamber cooler for AM4?
I tried both the VC-45 and l9a just go with the noctua it performs the same but sounds better.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Does the C7 fit in the S4M with a Noctua slim fan? Once the all copper version is released (can’t remember when) if this fits it could be the best combo.

No it will not fit even with a different fan. Noctua is the best combo until someone makes a nice fat one. I hear KMPKT is working on one but details are slim.

Wasim

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2017
Have you seen the latest benchmarks? 8700k matches the 1700 in productivity and has up to a 40% faster single core speed. It’s not a little better at gaming it’s a lot better at 1080p. 4K and 1440p of course are gpu bound. I was going to agree that Ryzen 2 might close the gap but they put that off and will only do ryzen + which is an incremental improvement coming spring. While I agree you will be able to upgrade on the ryzen platform and the risen platform is cheaper. The 8700k will last a long time.

Good points.

Btw I mentioned Ryzen refresh not Ryzen 2. I still think Ryzen is better all rounder and Ryzen+ will be much improved. Don't forget AMD said Ryzen was the worst case scenario, I believe there is a lot of room for improvements and they knew it. This has been exciting year, we are already hearing the rumors of 8 core 9700k, now that would be a worthy cpu :)

https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-9700k-9th-gen-8-cores-16-threads-rumor/

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Got a reply from DBrand a couple of minutes ago. Heres what they say:
Robot 055 (dbrand)

Nov 27, 16:43 EST

Hey Craxas!

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, there simply isn’t enough demand to justify the time and financial commitment associated with adding that device to our portfolio at this time. Sorry about that. Let us know if there’s anything else we can help with and have a great day!
Signed,
A Robot

So in short, make some noise, spam them, and overall make them feel like this is something profitable lol

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
How does the VC-45 do with the noctua fan?

Josh has a video on it:

Takeaway is thermal performance is about the same, Noctua wins by a lil' bit even considering the same fan. VC-45 you end up paying more overall cause then you'll also have to get the Noctua Fan, which you can't get the higher RPM model without going to Noctua directly.

Reactions: Elerek and futaris

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for that, I haven't seen that video yet. Any idea on how either would cool an undervolted 1800x?

The VC-45 will not fit on the Ryzen chip. You only have the NH-L9a-AM4 choice when considering ryzen. It should be able to handle it at stock. It'll probably ramp up to full speed when stressed.

If you detune it to 3.3 Ghz + an undervolt I'm sure it'll be quiet in most loads.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Got a reply from DBrand a couple of minutes ago. Heres what they say:

So in short, make some noise, spam them, and overall make them feel like this is something profitable lol
Got the same response but it said hey human lol

Josh maybe it’s time to just get a cutter and your own material to do it? I can’t imagine the machine needing to be huge like some massive shop. S4M is rather small so the machine would only need to do panel size. You could practically put this on autopilot for creation and just pack them with accessory orders.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Got the same response but it said hey human lol

Josh maybe it’s time to just get a cutter and your own material to do it? I can’t imagine the machine needing to be huge like some massive shop. S4M is rather small so the machine would only need to do panel size. You could practically put this on autopilot for creation and just pack them with accessory orders.

I dunno man after seeing the print quality on the Buddah Bros' $15,000 dollar machine I dunno if I can live with something a tenth that cost XD

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I dunno man after seeing the print quality on the Buddah Bros' $15,000 dollar machine I dunno if I can live with something a tenth that cost XD
yeah printing is definitely something different !!I was just talking maybe cutting and doing like wood grain, carbon fiber and limited runs. You can basically buy all the colors Dbrand has outright without printing. Only thing hard is the dragon print which is texture and unique to them. But I looked at the 3m site and there is all kinds of precolored patterns because of cars you can just pick up. Just a thought you know. Would be easy to just cut as demand. Not everyone will off course want to do it.

Not sure but maybe we have some printing in the community that can chime in on quality of prints.

seto

Caliper Novice
Nov 26, 2017
@Josh | NFC or anyone who can confirm for the SkyReach...

does Skyreach 4 have an opening large enough for @guryhwa 's 450/500w? or will the case need to be modified to allow for the opening?

• Custom DC Jack ,Dell dedicated 12pin: ultra slim type
need case oping for the dcjack:

Thanks in advance!

-Steve