Power Supply Silverstone SX1000 - 80 PLUS Platinum 1000W fully modular SFX-L power supply

D

Deleted member 23607

I hate to say it but Corsair is still the best choice for SFX.

Anyone remember that TF850? I heard t'was just a SF750 with a new label on it and zero interior changes. If that's true it's too bad Silverstone and Cooler Master haven't fixed their fan noise and coil whine.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

Anyone remember that TF850? I heard t'was just a SF750 with a new label on it and zero interior changes. If that's true it's too bad Silverstone and Cooler Master haven't fixed their fan noise and coil whine.
Corsair PSUs are generally good but it is not that they are free of their own problem.
Remember the SF series recall of units (Oct 2019 to Mar 2020) last year due to potential failure in a high temp and high humidity environment? (I had mine replaced by their local representative and I commend Corsair's efficient customer support).

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Original poster
Jul 14, 2018
I can't believe I'm still reading Silverstone SFX PSUs having fan issues, is this 2014 ? Did I go back to the past ?
I guess some companies never learn 🤷‍♂️

Also just look at these reviews (Don't buy it yet!):
I guess Seasonic is our last hope now, but no ETA whatsoever for their 750W SFX 🙄

yes, those Titan Hunter can be bought off Taobao quite readily. If I haven't got the SF750 for my build that would be the one I'm buying right now

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Corsair? That was my first to be sent back (sf700 1st gen).
For sure Corsair SF series are not without defaults.
Got 2 SF 600 Gold from 2016...just horrible fan noise & one died
Got another SF450 Gold 2016, fan was starting to make some noise

First gen SF750 platinum from 2019 got some defaults also but corrected many issues of Gold 2016 series.

Right my SF750 (2020 version) is working like a charm (and quietly). Only question is how long..:)

But I got SX750 before SF750...but unfortunalety its fan was spinning at full speed even with tiny load. Reading at several reviews, my case was not isolated and it impacts also SX1000. It's a pit for Silverstone to screw themselves with poor fan control or quality control...whatever reason, it's a miss for SX750 and SX1000 for now

Reactions: Walderstorn

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
It's great that there are so many new SFX PSUs coming to market (or recently in market). I wish someone reputable would do a large roundup review of high capacity (600w+) models with direct AB comparisons of noise, temp, fan speed, loading of different voltage rails, etc. Info is pretty piecemeal at the moment.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Indeed ! PSU reviews have taken a hit the past year, it's not a sexy component, but atleast they are actually available for purchase.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Indeed ! PSU reviews have taken a hit the past year, it's not a sexy component, but atleast they are actually available for purchase.
To make a PSU sexy, do not go the RGB route. Instead, I suggest, have the fan exchangeable, especially since fan issues are quite common. Corsair might be the first manufacturer to do it as they have PSUs, fans and fan control software all under their belt already.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
yes, those Titan Hunter can be bought off Taobao quite readily. If I haven't got the SF750 for my build that would be the one I'm buying right now
Titan TF750/850 come in a suitcase, which can become a decent SFF case when in the hands of a skilled modder.
A bonus!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well, the PSU part has never been the problem with Silverstone in my experience. The problem is they can't seem to get it quiet, without strange noise quirks. My SX800-LTI sometimes sounds like someone outside is using an angle grinder on metal.

• Haha

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well, the PSU part has never been the problem with Silverstone in my experience. The problem is they can't seem to get it quiet, without strange noise quirks. My SX800-LTI sometimes sounds like someone outside is using an angle grinder on metal.
I'm lucky with my SX800-LTI so far...:):)

Reactions: Testifier

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Titan TF750/850 come in a suitcase, which can become a decent SFF case when in the hands of a skilled modder.
A bonus!
More expensive than the Corsair SF750 in some regions of the world but it's great to have another option.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
so is the only real downside to this PSU the fan? because that's something that I have no issue fixing myself. running the SF750 on my 9900k 3090fe build for about 3 months now. so far I haven't run into any issues but I'm pretty sure I'm living close to the edge at the moment

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
so is the only real downside to this PSU the fan? because that's something that I have no issue fixing myself. running the SF750 on my 9900k 3090fe build for about 3 months now. so far I haven't run into any issues but I'm pretty sure I'm living close to the edge at the moment
Well not really. Aging is not a strong point for Silverstone PSUs. (check their warranty period)

Thus if SF750 is working, then it's all fine for you..:)

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
Why do you think that? I'm sure it's not even close to being at the maximum. OPP makes it trip above 1000 W.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
Well not really. Aging is not a strong point for Silverstone PSUs. (check their warranty period)

Thus if SF750 is working, then it's all fine for you..:)
I have had good luck with their PSUs. I have a sfx 450w psu from them that I got back in Feb 2014 thats still in use

Why do you think that? I'm sure it's not even close to being at the maximum. OPP makes it trip above 1000 W.
Based purely on Nvidia recommendation of a 750w psu. I have a OC 9900k and am thinking about getting a TEC cooler which I'll need a bigger PSU for. I'm good at the moment but regardless if I get the TEC cooler or not I'd like some more headroom in the future