Power Supply Silverstonetek SX750 (SFX, 750W, Platinum, semi passive)

smik

Cable Smoosher
Mar 29, 2020
Did you take a good look at the cables? I would be interested to hear how you compare them to Corsair's once you get that on hand.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Did you take a good look at the cables? I would be interested to hear how you compare them to Corsair's once you get that on hand.
I still have SX700 and cables from SX750 were pretty similar, maybe a little bit less stiff.

Right now, while using SX700, no issue on workload stability even with RTX3090...only issue is mostly psu fan that can ramp up from time to time to very audible level (louder than remaining system...and as it's a high pitch sound, it's easily hearable). But at the end, even with speakers, it's not really distracting from game.
Dislike my old SF600 Gold, SX700 fan is ramping down very quickly as load is decreasing.

Target of acquiring SX750 was mainly to get back to silent setup at low load/idle...and try to get a little bit quieter while on load.

Let's see how SF750 will perform.

ataraxia

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 18, 2020
I actually had an order for both an sx750 and a sf750. I just got my sx750 and took it out of the box. Used the paperclip method to start it up and the fan didn't spin at all. I'd have to take apart my current PC to plug in the sx750 so I'm kind of loath to do all that to test it out.

I'm wondering if this means my power supply is fine or if every psu in v1.0 has this issue.

phtp

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 16, 2020
I actually had an order for both an sx750 and a sf750. I just got my sx750 and took it out of the box. Used the paperclip method to start it up and the fan didn't spin at all. I'd have to take apart my current PC to plug in the sx750 so I'm kind of loath to do all that to test it out.

I'm wondering if this means my power supply is fine or if every psu in v1.0 has this issue.

Yes. You had zero load.

ataraxia

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 18, 2020
Yes. You had zero load.

I'm not saying 0 fan speed is defective, I'm asking if the other users who were saying that they had a defective PSU detected the fan spinning at 0 load. I've seen this reported on reddit and maybe on here as well. I don't have this problem but I haven't loaded the PSU so I'm wondering if those who have installed the unit have had the fan come on at 100% at low load or at no load.

phtp

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 16, 2020
I'm not saying 0 fan speed is defective, I'm asking if the other users who were saying that they had a defective PSU detected the fan spinning at 0 load. I've seen this reported on reddit and maybe on here as well. I don't have this problem but I haven't loaded the PSU so I'm wondering if those who have installed the unit have had the fan come on at 100% at low load or at no load.

Without the full context it sounded like if you were asking if that's normal. In the future invest in a cheap power supply tester to at least put some load on it. Also, just handy in general to have around for troubleshooting.

My opinion on this is you would just have to try it yourself. I've been watching this psu as well in case the cf750 doesn't come in stock. If it's a common issue we would see more reviews stating as such. Mainly seeing people complaining about the cable being stiff and louder (not necessarily running at 100%).

phtp

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 16, 2020
My bad I actually got this mixed up with the sx700. I couldn't get the sx750 in Canada yet. I even reached out to a supplier listed on the Silverstone website and they said they can't get it in.

ataraxia

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 18, 2020
I agree re-reading my original text that it was confusing. Sorry about that.

I actually do have a power supply tester but I think that just detects voltage and the on-signal delay, etc. It wouldn't put load on the PSU to detect if the fan is operating correctly.

I bit the bullet and installed the 24pin into my system. Perhaps I should have changed every cable but I wanted to see if it spun up under some minor load as people were describing. It did not as far as I could tell so hopefully this is just a small QC issue that affected one batch.

Just in case this helps anyone out the sticker on my PSU is as follows

Column M: 02
Column Rev: 3

The other 3 columns in the middle are B/I, H/P, ATE and they are OK 1, OK11, and OK 13. The first might be OK 11 but I can't tell. The power supply also has a large V 1.0 sticker on it.

Reactions: phtp

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I agree re-reading my original text that it was confusing. Sorry about that.

I actually do have a power supply tester but I think that just detects voltage and the on-signal delay, etc. It wouldn't put load on the PSU to detect if the fan is operating correctly.

I bit the bullet and installed the 24pin into my system. Perhaps I should have changed every cable but I wanted to see if it spun up under some minor load as people were describing. It did not as far as I could tell so hopefully this is just a small QC issue that affected one batch.

Just in case this helps anyone out the sticker on my PSU is as follows

Column M: 02
Column Rev: 3

The other 3 columns in the middle are B/I, H/P, ATE and they are OK 1, OK11, and OK 13. The first might be OK 11 but I can't tell. The power supply also has a large V 1.0 sticker on it.
At each start up my sx750 fan was not spinning, as expected. However it took bios boot to ramp up to max. Thus you need to test with actual components to be sure

ataraxia

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 18, 2020
Alright since I was lucky to grab both an sx750 and an sf750 a couple weeks back I decided to take the time today to test both.

I have now confirmed that my sx750 starts spinning the fan at quite a high speed pretty much immediately and it never stopped once it spun up even sitting at the windows login screen. Comparatively I only managed to get the corsair unit to spin up after enabling PBO and running cinebench. The first run of cinebench without PBO actually did not trigger the fan to start spinning. I assume that perhaps the temperature was too low to start it up despite the load maybe being high enough. Either way, I can basically see the sf750 spinning extremely slowly at low load and I was testing the PSU's out of the case so I put my ear up to it as well. I could not hear it.

A note about the cables since someone asked, they are stiff but also flat unlike the corsairs and their 2nd 8pin that hangs off the pci-e cable is extremely long. Perhaps this standard was for SLI card that were 3 slots apart.

Sad since I have had good experiences with silverstone both in their prior power supplies and also with their cases.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
seems like Silverstone failed at the fan control department this round. fairly disappointed since I was looking forward to the SFX-L 1000W SKU but at this rate I'll stick to the SF750 for the foreseeable future

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Alright since I was lucky to grab both an sx750 and an sf750 a couple weeks back I decided to take the time today to test both.

I have now confirmed that my sx750 starts spinning the fan at quite a high speed pretty much immediately and it never stopped once it spun up even sitting at the windows login screen. Comparatively I only managed to get the corsair unit to spin up after enabling PBO and running cinebench. The first run of cinebench without PBO actually did not trigger the fan to start spinning. I assume that perhaps the temperature was too low to start it up despite the load maybe being high enough. Either way, I can basically see the sf750 spinning extremely slowly at low load and I was testing the PSU's out of the case so I put my ear up to it as well. I could not hear it.

A note about the cables since someone asked, they are stiff but also flat unlike the corsairs and their 2nd 8pin that hangs off the pci-e cable is extremely long. Perhaps this standard was for SLI card that were 3 slots apart.

Sad since I have had good experiences with silverstone both in their prior power supplies and also with their cases.
Thanks for sharing your experience. SX750 fan control is completely faulty...and most probably all units are concerned right now.

seems like Silverstone failed at the fan control department this round. fairly disappointed since I was looking forward to the SFX-L 1000W SKU but at this rate I'll stick to the SF750 for the foreseeable future
Yes it's a shame...interesting innovations ruined by faulty basics...

Reactions: thelaughingman

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Has Silverstone ever made an SFX PSU with a quiet fan curve? I think they have always had aggressive fan control/cooling.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Has Silverstone ever made an SFX PSU with a quiet fan curve? I think they have always had aggressive fan control/cooling.
Sure they do.
My SX800 LTI and SX700 are working like a charm and their fan curve are not aggressive...:D

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, Silverstonetek had answered me on SX1000 release video about SX750 bad fan management.

Basically, avoid v1.0 of SX750...and go for 1.1..:)

However right now...due to global semi conductor market...no powerful SFX PSU are available (in France..:))