Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX v2 - 10 L case with improved ATX, AIO and 3-slot support!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Reactions: MartinElectronics

MartinElectronics

Chassis Packer
Nov 29, 2019
Hi Ribba,
Im still hardly thinking about my future upgrade. I just noticied my current asetek 645lt has a 35mm radiator so it seems it couldnt fit with a 3080 even the FE, right?

Do you think I can manage to fit a 3080 with an EKWB waterblock + 240mm or even longer radiator to do a full CPU & GPU custom loop (I dont know if any compact pump would fit and do the job for both CPU and GPU)?

1 Slot is around 20mm, and I know there are 20mm thick radiators and the waterblock itself doesnt seem to be very big.
2nd option would be GPU stock cooler and a 120mm x 20mm radiator and 2x60mm fans for the CPU but I'm still wondering wich pump I could go for in this case.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi Ribba,
Im still hardly thinking about my future upgrade. I just noticied my current asetek 645lt has a 35mm radiator so it seems it couldnt fit with a 3080 even the FE, right?

Do you think I can manage to fit a 3080 with an EKWB waterblock + 240mm or even longer radiator to do a full CPU & GPU custom loop (I dont know if any compact pump would fit and do the job for both CPU and GPU)?

1 Slot is around 20mm, and I know there are 20mm thick radiators and the waterblock itself doesnt seem to be very big.
2nd option would be GPU stock cooler and a 120mm x 20mm radiator and 2x60mm fans for the CPU but I'm still wondering wich pump I could go for in this case.

No, unfortunately they made 3080 FE 18mm longer than previous reference designs, so it won't fit with 92mm rad and fan.

I would vote against 240mm radiator, you could mount in theory but you would loose space for psu so that is out of the question.

TBH, if I were you, I would pick an air cooler for your cpu since it doesn't have a high TDP and now you can fit a taller unit then before so you can fit IS-60 and APX-100 cu. As you can see other users had good experiences with them.

And that will leave a lot of space for a big, 3-slot GPU which will have great temperatures, and I think that that would be best case scenario for you, without messing with water cooling and compatibility hurdles.

MartinElectronics

Chassis Packer
Nov 29, 2019
Thanks Ribba.
Unfortunately my motherboard has big IO shield and I think not all air coolers would fit in there. I don't really want to go back to air cooler for multiple reasons.

My idea was to build a sort of 3 slot card including a 3080 AIB PCB with 18mm waterblock + 2x15mm noctua fans on 20x240mm radiator or using the side panel to fix the fan outside of the case.

The other option I found was to go for the founders edition 3080 and do another custom loop just for the CPU with two 60mm fans on 120×30mm (or 20mm) rad like someone mention before.

Can you do custom side panels by the way?

Thanks so much for your answers and consideration. This case is awesome !

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Thanks Ribba.
Unfortunately my motherboard has big IO shield and I think not all air coolers would fit in there. I don't really want to go back to air cooler for multiple reasons.

My idea was to build a sort of 3 slot card including a 3080 AIB PCB with 18mm waterblock + 2x15mm noctua fans on 20x240mm radiator or using the side panel to fix the fan outside of the case.

The other option I found was to go for the founders edition 3080 and do another custom loop just for the CPU with two 60mm fans on 120×30mm (or 20mm) rad like someone mention before.

Can you do custom side panels by the way?

Thanks so much for your answers and consideration. This case is awesome !

Ok in that case best bet would be to install a aio with thinner radiator, like some 120mm unit and then put 80mm or two 60mm fan onto it, that would also work fine. With 3080 FE of course.

I wasn't planning on making custom side panels because I don't think I can ship them safely, but I will release drawings for them so you can have them made for you.

Thank you a lot, I'm glad you like it! :)

Reactions: MartinElectronics

Fa5en

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2020
Hey Riba, how many 60mm fans do you think will fit as top exhaust? 3 - 4? And only 10mm thick will fit , correct?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hey Riba, how many 60mm fans do you think will fit as top exhaust? 3 - 4? And only 10mm thick will fit , correct?

Yes, 3 pcs should fit and up to 10mm thick :) If you want something a bit better look at Sunon fans with maglev bearings, something like this:

Reactions: Fa5en

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
What is the current thinking for the best Aircooler for a 3700x in the p-atx v2? The is-60 has issues with ram and motherboard compatibility, so is not a good option for me.

I am considering going with the axp-100 copper as that seems a good fit and will cool the 3700 but am concerned about the screws clearing the side panel and turbulence issues? Any other good options i should consider?

Last edited:

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
What is the current thinking for the best Aircooler for a 3700x in the p-atx v2? The is-60 has issues with ram and motherboard compatibility, so is not a good option for me.

I am considering going with the axp-100 copper as that seems a good fit and will cool the 3700 but am concerned about the screws clearing the side panel and turbulence issues? Any other good options i should consider?

The Scythe Shuriken 2 (SCSK-2000) is also a good option with a decently quiet fan (not to be confused with Big Shuriken 2, which is a much older cooler)

Fa5en

Trash Compacter
Jan 22, 2020
Finally managed to get going with the build. All in all a pleasent experience. A bit fiddly with the riser and GPU mount, but in the end it worked out fine. And yes the cable management behind the PC is horrible, i know :-)

Next up is the Asus 3080 TUF when it arrives some day.

By the way, will the 12x25mm fan fit behind a 2.7 slot GPU?

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com

We had one system with 3700X and APX-100 Cu few pages back, temps were great and screws fit, but I'm not sure for the turbulence, maybe we can ask @Carvid

I had few customers said that they are pleased with is60 (also 3700x, very popular choice as I can see, I also use it) and maybe that's a better option if you are concerned with turbulence since it should be a few mm shorter.

I also recommend taking a look at this awesome test:

BTW I just realized that there is another option, there are many coolers that are 47mm tall with 15mm fan. So if you replace it with 25mm thick fan, it should still fit but have better performance. I can think of Thermalright APX-90 Cu, it always has good results on reviews even with 15mm fan, and 3700x is not that difficult to cool.

Finally managed to get going with the build. All in all a pleasent experience. A bit fiddly with the riser and GPU mount, but in the end it worked out fine. And yes the cable management behind the PC is horrible, i know :-)

Next up is the Asus 3080 TUF when it arrives some day.

By the way, will the 12x25mm fan fit behind a 2.7 slot GPU?

That's awesome, thank you for the pictures, and I'm glad that you had a pleasant experience.

3080 TUF is 51.7 mm thick, which leaves 21 mm behind the gpu, so you could maybe put a 15mm thick fan.

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
Well after much emailing back and forth with Riba over the last few months attempting to find away around covid logistical issues i am pleased to say the P-ATX v2 for my wife's build just came in today. Have not built in it yet so can only provide superficial thoughts at this stage.

The white is VERY white, its a super clean look that will pair amazingly with the e-white tofu keyboard i am also building her. Side panels and stand are much improved over my own V1 case. I thought it was a nice touch that the PCI covers and other brackets are also white instead of being black like is often the case.

Case was well packed and transported well without any damage to the finish. All going well i will be transplanting her build into it this weekend and will update next week some time.

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Well after much emailing back and forth with Riba over the last few months attempting to find away around covid logistical issues i am pleased to say the P-ATX v2 for my wife's build just came in today. Have not built in it yet so can only provide superficial thoughts at this stage.

The white is VERY white, its a super clean look that will pair amazingly with the e-white tofu keyboard i am also building her. Side panels and stand are much improved over my own V1 case. I thought it was a nice touch that the PCI covers and other brackets are also white instead of being black like is often the case.

Case was well packed and transported well without any damage to the finish. All going well i will be transplanting her build into it this weekend and will update next week some time.

Whoa, it got there really fast, 4 days before projected time, that's awesome!
I'm glad you like it, and really looking forward to seeing pictures of the build :)

If anyone else from AUS or NZ wants the case right now, I have added the DHL option. It is 131 USD, which I know is a lot, but that's the most economical courier option and it is very fast as you can see, it took 5-6 days including weekend. I am still hoping that our post allows shipments so that we can go back to normal, but this is the only option currently.

Now, I have some extra renders for you, regarding custom watercooling.
These are with 45mm thick 120mm copper radiator with 25mm fan, and with that you can cool any gpu or cpu (pass-trough design offers best possible airflow), so I have renders with CPU or GPU cooled.

With new RTX3070 you can get a lot of GPU power in less than 245mm package, and use radiator to cool cpu, even some threadripper models:

If you are more into GPU power, new reference 3080/3090 boards are really short, so they also fit into this combination. So you can have the most powerful gpu with good cooling, and up to 16 core cpu on air:

I had to model this gpu block with only few low res iso images, wasn't easy. Not 100% correct, but I would say good enough. Also I need to change the renderer, transparent materials don't render correctly as you can see.

SpringerTheNerd

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 7, 2017
If you are more into GPU power, new reference 3080/3090 boards are really short, so they also fit into this combination. So you can have the most powerful gpu with good cooling, and up to 16 core cpu on air:

Nice! on the v1 I wasn't able to use 90 fittings on the GPU because it made the card too tall for the side panel to fit. I'm glad that I can this time around because a lot of the new cards are taller (from the PCIe slot outwards) so I was worried that my 45 adapters would no longer work.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Some questions popped up in my mind while contemplating a purchase. The manual mentions that the HDD bracket should be installed, even if you don't have HHDs. Is this really necessary for structural rigidity? Secondly, are you able to provide exact position meansurements for the existing custom panel screw holes, in case I want to make, let's say, custom acrylic side panels?

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Some questions popped up in my mind while contemplating a purchase. The manual mentions that the HDD bracket should be installed, even if you don't have HHDs. Is this really necessary for structural rigidity? Secondly, are you able to provide exact position meansurements for the existing custom panel screw holes, in case I want to make, let's say, custom acrylic side panels?

I don't think flat acrylic panels are gonna work. The side panels are bent sheet metal and secured by rails at the top and bottom and a screw at the rear. If you want to make acrylic panel, you'll lose axial location at the top entirely. Even if you order acrylic panels with a custom bent flange at the top, you still have to space for the locating tabs at the top (looks very thin based on the product photos). If you pay attention, the panels do not have any screws on their face, only one retention screw at the backside of the case

One way I see acrylic panels may work is if you get a Dremel and cut out a rectangular hole in the stock panels, then use the stock panel with a giant hole in it as a bracket to mount your flat acrylic sheet to (either by drilling mounting holes or by some forms of adhesive like 2-part epoxy)

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
I don't think flat acrylic panels are gonna work. The side panels are bent sheet metal and secured by rails at the top and bottom and a screw at the rear. If you want to make acrylic panel, you'll lose axial location at the top entirely. Even if you order acrylic panels with a custom bent flange at the top, you still have to space for the locating tabs at the top (looks very thin based on the product photos). If you pay attention, the panels do not have any screws on their face, only one retention screw at the backside of the case

One way I see acrylic panels may work is if you get a Dremel and cut out a rectangular hole in the stock panels, then use the stock panel with a giant hole in it as a bracket to mount your flat acrylic sheet to (either by drilling mounting holes or by some forms of adhesive like 2-part epoxy)

I am not sure I understand. There are 4 custom holes provided on each side for custom panels. Surely a flat acrylic panel secured by screws in those 4 holes would suffice?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Nice! on the v1 I wasn't able to use 90 fittings on the GPU because it made the card too tall for the side panel to fit. I'm glad that I can this time around because a lot of the new cards are taller (from the PCIe slot outwards) so I was worried that my 45 adapters would no longer work.

Yes, you will definitely have more flexibility with this one.

Yes, HDD bracket also supports the front side of the left panel. You could not install it in theory, you will only loose support for that part of the case.

I will release dxf drawings for side panels of course, so you can make your own.

I am not sure I understand. There are 4 custom holes provided on each side for custom panels. Surely a flat acrylic panel secured by screws in those 4 holes would suffice?

Yes, there are some extra holes for custom panels :)